Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 173174175176177 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2016 at 11:30
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Nice albums guys!!! 174 pages of the best thread on PA.....well maybe about 130 pages, some I wish we could delete LOL.
Indeed LOL More 174 will follow Smile

There was a big flea market in town and I found a seller that buys records so I got rid of a lot of vinyl in bad condition or that I didn't like (goodbye Meat Loaf and VdGG LOL). I sold my copy of Nursery Cryme, I'm thinking about ordering Nick Davies' remix. My vinyl collection is cleansed now Tongue

I got another batch of Italian Prog on vinyl Big smile

My favourite album of 2015. I already had the CD but I couldn't resist buying this limited hand-numbered edition Embarrassed It was good to compare though, I really like the sound of the bass guitar (mixed very low on CD), drums and violin, it's livelier. However the keyboards sound better on CD (if you look at the enormous amount of keyboards in the credits you can see it's really important LOL), they kind of get buried by the bass. I think the problem is the amp here, I'll need to get one with more natural sounding bass. Hmm, I'm unhappy with my system, the upgrade bug is back LOL

Uhh ohhh!! Cool
I am actually speaker shopping right now, for now everything else in my system is good to go. Remind me Sam what amp and speakers are you using? I could help you spend some money I bet LOL
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 09:26
^ My amp is a Pioneer SA-520 but I rarely use speakers, I prefer headphones. I'll have to make another test by moving the flat/bass knob, it's always in the middle. Either way, I'll not buy a new one for now, getting a new phono cable is prioritary: a good one that isn't absurdly expensive and can be shipped from Europe Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 15:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ My amp is a Pioneer SA-520 but I rarely use speakers, I prefer headphones. I'll have to make another test by moving the flat/bass knob, it's always in the middle. Either way, I'll not buy a new one for now, getting a new phono cable is prioritary: a good one that isn't absurdly expensive and can be shipped from Europe Ermm

If you don't listen to radio then stick with integrated amp.....My suggestion is look into a NAD C326BEE, 50wpc and you will probably never buy another amp for many years. I think for vinyl matching you will be blown away at the upgrade, US$550.00 but I have seen them for less especially if you can find used or a demo/refurbish unit.
You will need a phono preamp as the NAD amp does not have phono capability like your Pioneer does, but anything you get will be a huge improvement to your vinyl sound.

Phono cable just make sure it is a shielded cable, specifically for connecting from your TT to amp, do not get regular interconnect cables like you use for CD player.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 17:20
^ Thanks for the suggestion, it seems great. I bet even CD's will sound much better through it than the home theater amp it's currently connected to. The store where I bought my TT has it for much less than that Smile I should get a preamp first though Tongue

I know, extra-extra shielded would be especially great to attenuate the interferences during the day. It's so bad I can only listen to vinyl or record my music during the night Thumbs Down
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 21:01
Any of the NAD phono preamps are good, better than your Pioneer one. Also look into the Emotiva XPS-1 as it gets rave reviews as an entry level phono preamp, and it can handle MC carts too, sells for $150.00. Either one will improve your analog end.

Bad electricity in your house, not much you can do about that.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:38

Any of the NAD phono preamps are good, better than your Pioneer one. Also look into the Emotiva XPS-1 as it gets rave reviews as an entry level phono preamp, and it can handle MC carts too, sells for $150.00. Either one will improve your analog end.

Bad electricity in your house, not much you can do about that.......
This is strange, what's the use of choosing a different cartridge type and resistance value per channel Confused

The NAD PP2e seems more simple and probably a safest match with the amp. It's actually not really expensive, maybe I could buy both in a few months Smile

I'm 100% sure it's the neighbour's solar panel now, I stood maybe 50 metres away from it the other day and I could hear the exact same noise Ermm

Edited by Meltdowner - June 14 2016 at 11:08
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 22:31
Some phono preamps do not accept MC carts, this one does both at a very affordable price, and you get some options for the capacitance loading of a MC cart if you ever get one. Choosing MM probably defaults the setting to 47k ohms. With MC you get choices, it's like an EQ for MC carts, depending on the cartridge and cable capacitance you use will define which loading you choose, ultimately it will be your ears that decide.

The NAD pp2e is set only at 100 ohms for MC option. Which for most MC carts would be fine but some might require a higher loading to get a good match and optimal sound. The two preamps are good but the XPS1 gives you some loading options to tailor the sound.

The NAD amp and NAD phono pre should match very well, its a very good entry level system but be careful, at some point it will make you want better! So keep saving your pennies!! LOL

Have fun!

I auditioned several speakers this past weekend and chose a set of Rega RX5 towers in walnut finish....I'm pretty happy Party 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 04:00
You have a point there, although I still don't understand why someone would choose MM for the left channel and MC for the right one Tongue

I don't know how they sound but they sure look great Cool
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:47
^ Well you would not do that, it would be a very unbalanced sound. Its just how they designed the board so you choose both channels. For MC you would chose the same loading configuration for each channel.

The XPS gets you into MC (if you want) for a very reasonable price and people do report the performance as very good. Anything better I think you would need to be in the $500 range for a phono preamp with MC loading options.
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 21:01
Art Bears

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 08:35
^ Nice one    Mine's just regular black pressing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 08:36
My first TD album from the Pink Years. It's one of those albums I have to take a photo before and must be played last, I can't do anything after LOL

Another favourite from 2014 I didn't have, Logos' "L'Enigma Della Vita", a mixture of Floyd, Neo Prog and classic Italian Prog influences Smile Tom, you also have this one, right?

The second album from a local Pop Rock band that I wanted to buy when it was released in 2009. This limited edition (#10/500 here) disappeared quickly and it became more valuable recently, especially since two tracks are not included on the CD. It's so odd that their bassist disappeared (presumably deceased) only a few days after I bought this Disapprove
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 17:15
^ Yep - the Logos album is a beauty - most of the drumming is by the bassist - great talent on both instruments !! And not a weak moment throughout its 76 min running time.
Alpha Centauri - back in 1989, I bought a neat original press on the Ohr label for 6 bucks !! No one knew they'd eventually become highly sought after. It's a great album, and wait for that synth twittering that nearly shatters the speakers
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 18:32
..."Logos' "L'Enigma Della Vita", a mixture of Floyd, Neo Prog and classic Italian Prog influences...

Hmm, sounds interesting, what label is that on?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 18:45
I just saw this documentary on a plane flight, very well done...Excellent IMO!! Not only showing the rise and fall of Tower Records and why but the love these guys had of music, of course very heavy to vinyl. Tower Records was always my go to store for records, they had EVERYTHING in stock. I would say 80% of what I bought as a teenager and young adult was from Tower Records.....I need to move to Japan.

Highly suggested to find the full movie.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 18:46
^^ Italian label 'Andromeda Relix'
It is one fine album.
Ya ninja'd me

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 24 2016 at 18:47
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 19:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^^ Italian label 'Andromeda Relix'
It is one fine album.
Ya ninja'd me

WinkLOLClap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 16:49
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yep - the Logos album is a beauty - most of the drumming is by the bassist - great talent on both instruments !! And not a weak moment throughout its 76 min running time.
Alpha Centauri - back in 1989, I bought a neat original press on the Ohr label for 6 bucks !! No one knew they'd eventually become highly sought after. It's a great album, and wait for that synth twittering that nearly shatters the speakers
Indeed! The album really doesn't seem that long Smile

Awesome Clap I didn't even bother looking for the original one LOL Yeah, it's really crazy Big smile

I just saw this documentary on a plane flight, very well done...Excellent IMO!! Not only showing the rise and fall of Tower Records and why but the love these guys had of music, of course very heavy to vinyl. Tower Records was always my go to store for records, they had EVERYTHING in stock. I would say 80% of what I bought as a teenager and young adult was from Tower Records.....I need to move to Japan.
That seems great, too bad it's gone.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:20

I guess about 70% to 80% of my original vinyl collection came from Licorice Pizza.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 06:24
I picked up a lovely reissue of a super-rare Australian instrumental jazz-fusion album from the Seventies, a one-shot band called Arena (no, not that one!). Similar to If, Zzebra, etc, Soft Machine, you name it, with a dash of King Crimson to some of the guitar parts:

The album can be found here on YouTube as well:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 173174175176177 312>