Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 06:33
Also picked this one up, which seems to have a mixed opinion:

Will have a listen this coming week.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 08:15
^ The cover is awesome, but I've lost count of how many times I've passed this one up over the years......
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 08:58
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I guess about 70% to 80% of my original vinyl collection came from Licorice Pizza.

"Photo not found."

I'm pretty sure I still have a Licorice Pizza bag stashed away somewhere, with the lady serving up a steaming fresh LP. I spent many a happy hour in their two San Diego locations. (They encouraged loitering, with couches and magazines in the stores.)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 17:19
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ The cover is awesome, but I've lost count of how many times I've passed this one up over the years......

What made you skip it, mate? I'm assuming it's the dorky looking picture of the band on the back?! That's nothing, have you seen the front cover for their second album?!

Looking at the year of release (1975), the running times (including a side-long suite) and the instrument/keyboard list on the back certainly gives it potential.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 26 2016 at 17:19
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 17:32
^ Just something about it
.....same with that Golden Avatar album and Klaatu albums - something's present that I don't like - whatever it is, I can't put my finger on it........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 06:30
...... I was just inspecting some of those 'B13' unofficial vinyls I've acquired over time, and coz they come in a printed clear polythene sleeve, over time, the vinyl has developed a 'clouding' sort of haze over them. It doesn't really affect the sound quality (only between tracks, if you listen carefully), but they look like sh*t. WTF were this mob thinking ???
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 06:35

^ Just something about it
.....same with that Golden Avatar album and Klaatu albums - something's present that I don't like - whatever it is, I can't put my finger on it........

Tom, I had a listen today, you would probably go mental for that Fireballet album. Tasty symphonic prog with a whole bunch of Yes influences. Wipes the floor with the Starcastle albums (but although it's more original than the Yes-like Atlantide album I think that is stronger with better singing), really quite ambitious and full of terrific playing and grand arrangements. The vocals are a little too clean and prominent, but I doubt you'd regret it if you finally decide to snap it up next time you see it. Honestly, I actually think you'd like it more than me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 06:41
^ Well, I'm at loss for words.......    
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 06:51
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Also picked this one up, which seems to have a mixed opinion:

Will have a listen this coming week.

Wow, you found that on vinyl! Took me ages just to get a copy on CD around 8 year's back.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 07:01
^ At least a half-dozen times on LP at various fairs over the last 10 years or so........and for cheap.............(I never took the plunge.............)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 07:04
Yeah, Paul, Tom and I have come across it constantly at local (Aussie) record fairs over the years, it shows up in `circulation' pretty often down here!

Long story short, Tom, it would be a totally safe purchase for you if you were to take the plunge next time!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 07:05
^ I searched that album on Discogs and there's not a single European vinyl pressing, but there's one from New Zealand, probably the one you found.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 07:12
........I'm always there at any fair when I fly down south and catch up with my dear friend Michael........
Never thought Fireballet is worthy enough.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 07:18
Guess it's one of those `go in with no expectation, be pleasantly surprised' deals, Tom.

Turns out mine is a US pressing, Sam!

Ha, at the fair I was asking local vendors who were selling new vinyl albums if they'd ever come across that Krakatau album, all of them drew a complete blank! I hate the idea of having to import from the other side of the world an album that was essentially recorded 30 minutes from my house! Turns out the band played a live show about a fortnight ago too, only about 10 minutes from my work as well - got them `liked' on my Facebook now, so won't miss out again.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 08:43
^ It's so weird that you can't find it anywhere and I found it by chance at a record store (the owner was also happy since he couldn't get rid of it LOL). I know the feeling, some local bands I know signed with labels from the US or UK and they are not cheap or easy to come across. 
That's too bad, I bet they are awesome live. I hope you'll be able to see them Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 09:09
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 14:28
^ Jose - Noooooo !! (can't stand 'em )
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 16:07

^ Jose - Noooooo !! (can't stand 'em )

LOLLOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 16:08
Been on a kick lately......

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 18:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Cool reflection of the wheel Smile

My AC/DC kick was in 2007/8 but I moved on quickly. I think it's the fact that their music has too much airplay here... just like Queen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 312>