Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 10:27
Two picks yesterday.......

Heard very little of Triumvirat, this copy was in nice condition. Gave it a very good cleaning on my record cleaning machine and I was very, very happy with the sonic results. Outstanding sound, mastering and mix and the music I was very surprised at how good this band is. Clearly a heavy ELP sound...I like it

I only ever had this album on cassette when it first came out, I played that cassette quite a lot. I really enjoy the musicians that Sting used for this album, great modern jazz musicians and most of this album is very good IMO.
The vinyl version is a tad thin sounding in the low end but not much, the lush midrange more than makes up for it.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 15:00
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

It is indeed! But it's a bit noisy at times though. It's quite hard to find perfect clean copies for this kind of music, like Tangerine Dream for instance...
Yes, very hard indeed. I have a copy of Timewind that looks in mint condition, only has a loud pop in the middle of side one, although not nearly as scary as the ending of the song LOL

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Heard very little of Triumvirat, this copy was in nice condition. Gave it a very good cleaning on my record cleaning machine and I was very, very happy with the sonic results. Outstanding sound, mastering and mix and the music I was very surprised at how good this band is. Clearly a heavy ELP sound...I like it
Nice find, that album is fantastic, better than a lot of classic ELP music if you ask me. I never saw the cover with a purple lightbulb before, which pressing is it?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 15:35
My last update was two months ago, I'm really taking a lot of time with my new vinyl purchases. I've been spinning plenty of new CD's as well lately... the heresy LOL

A very nice trip to the desert Cool I've never been to one though LOL

A recent Spanish psychedelic album I really like, great musicianship and lots of energy. It had a much better cover before but it became a small poster that comes with the LP... boring Thumbs Down

Latest album from Stoned Jesus, the music is as heavy and psychedelic as the artwork Big smile

I found this first German pressing in really great condition last month. I barely knew the album but I have to say I'm very impressed Clap

Two new Soft Machine reissues. I did some search before purchasing to avoid disappointment and it really doesn't, it has very good sound quality Thumbs Up
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 16:40
Looks good, Sam.  Thumbs Up

I like that Yawning Man album a lot. That's the same vinyl color I have.
Have you heard their new one called Historical Graffiti? 
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2016 at 00:33

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Two new Soft Machine reissues. I did some search before purchasing to avoid disappointment and it really doesn't, it has very good sound quality Thumbs Up

Shocked These Soft Machine albums look glorious. Wow, these colors! Great scores, Sam! Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2016 at 08:48

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Nice find, that album is fantastic, better than a lot of classic ELP music if you ask me. I never saw the cover with a purple lightbulb before, which pressing is it?

Not sure Sam, I will look closer at it tonight when I get home, might just be the lighting?? I can also check Discogs and see if there are different covers. I am pretty sure this is a US pressing.
I am not a huge ELP fan, I find a lot of their music too bombastic for my tastes, this album is more melodic to me but with the ELP keyboards.

Those reissues of SM look really nice. I have thought about them but my original pressings are still really good. Does it specify if they are remastered from original tapes?

Edited by Catcher10 - November 16 2016 at 08:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 07:32
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Looks good, Sam.  Thumbs Up

I like that Yawning Man album a lot. That's the same vinyl color I have.
Have you heard their new one called Historical Graffiti? 
Not yet, although I probably heard some of it played live. I'll have to give it a listen.

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Shocked These Soft Machine albums look glorious. Wow, these colors! Great scores, Sam! Smile
Thanks! I think the glossy numbers are a nice touch. The vinyl is transparent by the way and not the colour of the cork mat Tongue

Not sure Sam, I will look closer at it tonight when I get home, might just be the lighting?? I can also check Discogs and see if there are different covers. I am pretty sure this is a US pressing.
I am not a huge ELP fan, I find a lot of their music too bombastic for my tastes, this album is more melodic to me but with the ELP keyboards.

Those reissues of SM look really nice. I have thought about them but my original pressings are still really good. Does it specify if they are remastered from original tapes?
I just confirmed on Discogs, the US pressing as a purple lightbulb.
Exactly. Instrumentally, I think it's the strings synth that makes all the difference. Emerson never wanted one of those slow-playing keyboards Tongue

I couldn't find that information anywhere but the label's website say that they use "analogue tapes, original metal parts, lacquers cut from analogue tapes and high res digital files 192/96khz/24 bit" for their reissues. Probably one of the first three I'd say.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 09:45
^ Cool thanks Sam....I'm not too anal, I think vinyl cut from digital high resolution files of 24bit sound brilliant, as long as the mastering was done for vinyl, these issues clearly surpass the CD version for example since those are 16bit redbook. I have some that are just needle drops of a digital file and you can tell the difference. Dead

But if the lacquers were cut from the original analog tapes then you get closer to the music IMO...They still will be some digital processing so more like a ADA vs AAA. I don't have SM-5, that might make it on a Christmas list Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 13:17
Such a great album..I'm not a Nirvana fan. For grunge I always migrated towards Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Mudhoney. This album is all that wrapped up in a nice bundle. This is the recent 2016 reissue, newly remastered and the mix is super nice, very clean vocals and percussion. So much better than my CD version boooooo!!! LOL...Highly recommended if you like this genre.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 13:45
Couple pick ups this past weekend.....

Have the CD version, this is a nice clean copy, only $8.00

This was only $14.00, should have been $20.00 as it is the 2014 remaster on 180g from Spoon Records, again remastered using the original tapes.

I have the CD of this, an excellent sounding CD to note. This copy was super clean, no marks and looks to have minimal plays...A classic album
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 00:10

Couple pick ups this past weekend.....

Have the CD version, this is a nice clean copy, only $8.00

This was only $14.00, should have been $20.00 as it is the 2014 remaster on 180g from Spoon Records, again remastered using the original tapes.

I have the CD of this, an excellent sounding CD to note. This copy was super clean, no marks and looks to have minimal plays...A classic album

I enjoy hearing about your sweet analog catches of the day.

Enjoy the music, my friend. Nice to see you still spinning away.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 00:21
Can't speak for the Madonna album, but, the Genesis LP was an 'overstock' at my local 2nd Hand shop at the time (I'ved moved away) for 6 bucks, still have it, still love it. And I picked up most (if not all) late-70's Can vinyl for 15 bucks apiece, latter half of the 90's. Was so stoked.
Great choices, my friend !!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 15:24
Madonna rulez and everyone else droolz...LOL. I am trying to get into the later Can albums, this one was easy, I always thought they could have done without the "Can Can" song thou Ha!! This one you can hear some disco influence, considering it was released in 1979.

Genesis is awesome simply due to the last two songs on Side I.

Always spinning.......what else am I going to do??
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 08:39
I can't speak for the Madonna album either, just for the cover Embarrassed
I came across that Can album two months ago but I never heard it. Good to know it's not awful... and I'm not allergic to Disco LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 12:13
Later Can are very much under-appreciated. The albums are funky and groovy. Not quite the Krautrock behemoth they were earlier, but still very, very enjoyable. Saw Delight, Out Of Reach and Can (or Inner Space, as it is sometimes known) all great albums. I guess purists don't like them coz Holger was first sidelined, then not really involved at all. Still great though.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 08:59
I have all later Can albums on digital Dead, they are certainly more funk/R&B sound, which is fine by me.....I'm a big R&B fan. I do prefer the earlier Can sound flavor, the psychedelic stuff and Damo singing in 6 different languages on one song, although not sure you can call it a language from Earth LOL.

Of course everything sounds better as a rekkid than digital Big smile, so I am slowly getting all Can on black wax. Especially with these reissues which are all done from original master tapes and sound amazing and the pressing quality is stellar.

All the purists can kiss my brown Hispanic A$$!! Hug
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 16:59

I have all later Can albums on digital Dead, they are certainly more funk/R&B sound, which is fine by me.....I'm a big R&B fan. I do prefer the earlier Can sound flavor, the psychedelic stuff and Damo singing in 6 different languages on one song, although not sure you can call it a language from Earth LOL.

Of course everything sounds better as a rekkid than digital Big smile, so I am slowly getting all Can on black wax. Especially with these reissues which are all done from original master tapes and sound amazing and the pressing quality is stellar.

Whe you say digital do you mean as CD or SACD as many Can remasters are? PLus it depends on playback - a digitially remastered record (which still deteriorates) is probably at the same appreciation level (now) as a digital hard copy. Which is what a record is (now).

I used to have all the Can material on record - they were pretty good. The unremastered CDs were a step down (slightly) as the issues had not allowed for the format change. The remastered material sounds terrific.

How does the vinyl compare with the SACD / CD version?

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 09:49
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Whe you say digital do you mean as CD or SACD as many Can remasters are? PLus it depends on playback - a digitially remastered record (which still deteriorates) is probably at the same appreciation level (now) as a digital hard copy. Which is what a record is (now).

I used to have all the Can material on record - they were pretty good. The unremastered CDs were a step down (slightly) as the issues had not allowed for the format change. The remastered material sounds terrific.

How does the vinyl compare with the SACD / CD version?

I have CDs, I don't do SACD because it makes no sense for me to repurchase all my albums as SACD as well as invest in a disc player that can decode the SACD layer. My DAC can play 24bit files but almost all I have tried sound no better than the vinyl versions, I have heard DSD128 which is really nice but again the catalog is minimal and I am not spending money to rebuy my collection in a new format.

The new vinyl versions are all done from the original master tapes and cut by SoundMasters in the UK, IMO the new vinyl versions are more engaging, revealing than the CD versions. This is hard to describe because describing sound is not easy, too subjective and too many variables. Audio gear is a big one meaning the quality of it can make a huge difference with the same source.

In my music room and my audio system, analog gives me a more rewarding experience, with also zero fatigue......I can spin vinyl all day long which I have done many times, I can't do this with digital.

YMMV Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 15:35
Today's listens, so far.....

....and American Beauty by Grateful Dead (CD) no pic

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 18:58
^ Tsk tsk - American Beauty on a drinks coaster..........
........you're forgiven coz Sugar Magnolia, Ripple and Attics Of My Life are PRICELESS !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 312>