Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 00:27
Arrived today from Greece...

Graveyard - Hisingen Blues

Farflung - Unwound Celluloid Frown 

Bland Bladen - Vederkvickelse  

Pyramidal - Dawn In Space

WolveSpirit - Free
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 04:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hi there people!
Are any of you familiar with the new Rega Planar 3 from last year? http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-3-2016.html
Been thinking about upgrading my record player and judging by the extremely positive reviews online my take is that I'm basically getting the qualities of a 5000 dollar record player for a fifth of the price.
My Denon dp 47f is alright I guess but a hear vague mechanical noise whenever using it (maybe a new stylus? Hasn't been changed ever methinks).

Let's see if this post goes thru David Angry...but yea I'm kinda done with the site until it gets fixed, but I always come see my vinyl buddies.....Everyone else on the site can kiss my Hispanic poo-poo brown colored a$$ LOL.

Never been a Rega fan on tables, I do like their speakers and I run a pair of their Rega RX5 in walnut, love them!!
My issue with Rega TT is two things:
1) Tonearm is not azimuth adjustable, which is highly needed if you get a cartridge with line contact, micro line or shibata type stylus. Those need meticulous adjustment to pull out the best of your vinyl. Its a very good tonearm other than that, but I run higher end carts and this adjustment is critical. And a table like that needs a upper end cartridge.

2) Rega tables tend to run fast normally. May not be a big thing but the quality of sound can suffer. You will notice this on piano key hits where the sustain will be un-natural as well as cymbals and just in general, sustain will suffer and overall tone of your music suffers. One of my cheapest buys was the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 speed box, that gave immediate results. I found I was not too far off when doing speed tests, but it really helped. Plus no need to change belts when going from 33 to 45, just push a button.

Also with Rega you end up with upgradeitus, meaning they try and sell you upgrades to make it sound better when it should have been standard components.

If you're gonna spend upwards of $2K on a TT then I suggest taking your time and visit some other mfg, but if you get a deal on a Rega...It's not a bad table at all. If you get that one for $1K I think it is excellent deal....

Good luck David!

Thank you so much for that in-depth answer Jose. Some of it is completely gibberish to this bewildered dane, but it's still viable info I can inject in my search for THE turntable (that doesn't slay my wallet completely).
The RP3 is priced at around 5800 kr which translates into a little over 830 bucks. That seems ridiculously cheap after having read through the first 10+ reviews online.
Then again I didn't know about the problems you mention and being someone who isn't all that interested in the mechanics of the thing (I just want great sound!), I'd much rather look into a tt that is as reliable as an old shoe.
Looking at some other candidates in the same price range both the Thorens TD 203 and Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon caught my fancy. Any history, back-alley slander, tall tales or indeed recommendations you care to sling at me will be much appreciated.
Your hispanic poo-poo should most definitely try PA over an iPhone or iPad. No robot hassle in sight.

I see them here in US land for about US$750 smacks, so being that they are produced in merry olde England...I think you should do better than US$830 bills.....It's an older model so should be reduced more, you gotta pork em harder!

If you can find a Music Hall mmf-5.1 (they now make a 5.3), that should run you about US$700 green backs, fantastic TT which is pretty close to plug and play. You need to make some adjustments depending on your cartridge but I can help or on the world wide web you can find tons of help. Plus it has a fully adjustable tonearm......Music Hall is made in the same factory as Pro-Ject in the Czech Republic.....I run a Music Hall mmf-7.1 modded to a mmf-7.3 a very musical table. But then again my cartridge is very high end.

iPhone, iPad is Apple.....fooey!! Dead I'm a Microsoft dude.....
Thanks for the help Jose - I really appreciate it. Like I mentioned this is a project for the future as I don't really have the dough atm...but I find it fun and rather smart tio educate myself a tad on what it exactly is that I'm looking for. Looking never hurt anyone (bar Nelson).

Oh and my friend just bought a Linn LP12 ttWacko Insane...especially considering he's a seacaptain and hardly ever home. I think I need to babysit his house from now on "Sure thing - sail away buddy!! Breathe the sweet air of the sea! Feck a sealion and make drinks from 50 million year old ice cubes!....I'll just sit back and enjoy my record collection"
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 11:30

Hi there people!
Are any of you familiar with the new Rega Planar 3 from last year? http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-3-2016.html
Been thinking about upgrading my record player and judging by the extremely positive reviews online my take is that I'm basically getting the qualities of a 5000 dollar record player for a fifth of the price.
My Denon dp 47f is alright I guess but a hear vague mechanical noise whenever using it (maybe a new stylus? Hasn't been changed ever methinks).

Let's see if this post goes thru David Angry...but yea I'm kinda done with the site until it gets fixed, but I always come see my vinyl buddies.....Everyone else on the site can kiss my Hispanic poo-poo brown colored a$$ LOL.

Never been a Rega fan on tables, I do like their speakers and I run a pair of their Rega RX5 in walnut, love them!!
1) Tonearm is not azimuth adjustable, which is highly needed if you get a cartridge with line contact, micro line or shibata type stylus. Those need meticulous adjustment to pull out the best of your vinyl. Its a very good tonearm other than that, but I run higher end carts and this adjustment is critical. And a table like that needs a upper end cartridge.

2) Rega tables tend to run fast normally. May not be a big thing but the quality of sound can suffer. You will notice this on piano key hits where the sustain will be un-natural as well as cymbals and just in general, sustain will suffer and overall tone of your music suffers. One of my cheapest buys was the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 speed box, that gave immediate results. I found I was not too far off when doing speed tests, but it really helped. Plus no need to change belts when going from 33 to 45, just push a button.

Also with Rega you end up with upgradeitus, meaning they try and sell you upgrades to make it sound better when it should have been standard components.

If you're gonna spend upwards of $2K on a TT then I suggest taking your time and visit some other mfg, but if you get a deal on a Rega...It's not a bad table at all. If you get that one for $1K I think it is excellent deal....

Good luck David!

Thank you so much for that in-depth answer Jose. Some of it is completely gibberish to this bewildered dane, but it's still viable info I can inject in my search for THE turntable (that doesn't slay my wallet completely).
The RP3 is priced at around 5800 kr which translates into a little over 830 bucks. That seems ridiculously cheap after having read through the first 10+ reviews online.
Then again I didn't know about the problems you mention and being someone who isn't all that interested in the mechanics of the thing (I just want great sound!), I'd much rather look into a tt that is as reliable as an old shoe.
Looking at some other candidates in the same price range both the Thorens TD 203 and Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon caught my fancy. Any history, back-alley slander, tall tales or indeed recommendations you care to sling at me will be much appreciated.
Your hispanic poo-poo should most definitely try PA over an iPhone or iPad. No robot hassle in sight.

I see them here in US land for about US$750 smacks, so being that they are produced in merry olde England...I think you should do better than US$830 bills.....It's an older model so should be reduced more, you gotta pork em harder!

If you can find a Music Hall mmf-5.1 (they now make a 5.3), that should run you about US$700 green backs, fantastic TT which is pretty close to plug and play. You need to make some adjustments depending on your cartridge but I can help or on the world wide web you can find tons of help. Plus it has a fully adjustable tonearm......Music Hall is made in the same factory as Pro-Ject in the Czech Republic.....I run a Music Hall mmf-7.1 modded to a mmf-7.3 a very musical table. But then again my cartridge is very high end.

Thanks for the help Jose - I really appreciate it. Like I mentioned this is a project for the future as I don't really have the dough atm...but I find it fun and rather smart tio educate myself a tad on what it exactly is that I'm looking for. Looking never hurt anyone (bar Nelson).

Oh and my friend just bought a Linn LP12 ttWacko Insane...especially considering he's a seacaptain and hardly ever home. I think I need to babysit his house from now on "Sure thing - sail away buddy!! Breathe the sweet air of the sea! Feck a sealion and make drinks from 50 million year old ice cubes!....I'll just sit back and enjoy my record collection"

Nice! A Linn LP12, if it is one from mid 80's hopefully it has been refurbished. If so it is a nice table and a really nice tonearm. Those are suspension tables so should help with isolation if that is an issue depending where it sits.

Yes take all ur rekkids to his house and spin that b1tch like a 2bit ummm person of the night! LOL
Hopefully he has the downstream gear to make it sing like a mutha!
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 18:54
A couple of recent grabs:

Fen: Carrion Skies
Junius: Eternal Rituals For The Accretion Of Light

The sleeve packaging is quite snazzy as well.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 23:43
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

A couple of recent grabs:

Fen: Carrion Skies
Junius: Eternal Rituals For The Accretion Of Light

The sleeve packaging is quite snazzy as well.

Oustanding!! What is Junius?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 23:49
Two received today, first time on vinyl by Haken

Visions in silver:

Aquarius in orange:

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 01:31
^   ^^^  That's some nice looking vinyl you guys have posted. Thumbs Up
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 11:43
Arrived yesterday...

The Grand Astoria - The Mighty Few

Lord Loud - Passe Paranoia

Atomic Simao - Echo

Summoner - Beyond The Realm Of Light
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 12:28

Hi there people!

Good luck David!

Nice! A Linn LP12, if it is one from mid 80's hopefully it has been refurbished. If so it is a nice table and a really nice tonearm. Those are suspension tables so should help with isolation if that is an issue depending where it sits.

Yes take all ur rekkids to his house and spin that b1tch like a 2bit ummm person of the night! LOL

Nah I think it is a brand new tt so everything should preferably work like shizzle.
Just fired up my Denon table and it actually sounds wonderful...especially together with my brand new cans. Also talked to an old audio guy - friend of father's actually - who praised the DP 47F for both it's sound and easy handling. Right this minute I agree with him. Back at my old apartment I had this irritating hum when I used the tt and it isn't there now. Maybe it was just from a bad set-up/poor cables/whatnot - and then I don't have to buy a new table right away. Yay (although truth be told I had my eye set on that RP3.).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:38

Hi there people!

Good luck David!

Nah I think it is a brand new tt so everything should preferably work like shizzle.
Just fired up my Denon table and it actually sounds wonderful...especially together with my brand new cans. Also talked to an old audio guy - friend of father's actually - who praised the DP 47F for both it's sound and easy handling. Right this minute I agree with him. Back at my old apartment I had this irritating hum when I used the tt and it isn't there now. Maybe it was just from a bad set-up/poor cables/whatnot - and then I don't have to buy a new table right away. Yay (although truth be told I had my eye set on that RP3.).

RP3-RP3-RP3....."u want me, u know u do...I'll be ur good b*tch, treat u nice!" Luv u lon tine!! LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:51
Aarrhhh get it away you evil man!

...and sure enough just now I notice the hum again it's there even when I turn the power off. Only stops when I yank the cable out of the socket. Hmmm... just a little annoying but I don't really notice it when the music's on.
I guess that's what you get when you buy second-hand.

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:58

Aarrhhh get it away you evil man!

...and sure enough just now I notice the hum again it's there even when I turn the power off. Only stops when I yank the cable out of the socket. Hmmm... just a little annoying but I don't really notice it when the music's on.
I guess that's what you get when you buy second-hand.

A phono cartridge has a very small voltage output, compared to say the output of your CD player....So those phono cables need to be shielded so they don't pick up any RF signals which cause noise. You should not be using regular RCA cables that you use for a CD player or tape deck. If you have a set of video cables, like the yellow ones, try those as they are shielded, and see if the hum goes away.

Could just be a ground loop of sort, make sure the TT cables are grounded or also if it is, unground it and see....These things are usually trial and error to fix, try a different wall socket.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 14:35

They're a post rock band with (mostly) clean vocals. I like that the guy has 'manly'voice...too often these types of bands go for a "light as a feather" wimpy style vocals.

TeleStrat - Thanks for posting you vinyls. That WolveSpirit album you listed got me intrigued, and damn that's one grooooooovy album. I need to pick that one up.

Here's some grape and cherry flavored good ole' mid-90's NY pulverizing death metal:

Immolation: Here in After
Suffocation: Pierced From Within
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 15:09
^  Looking good.
Dreamcatcher is another good album by WolveSpirit.
Another very good female fronted band is Blood Ceremony. The singer, Alla O'Brien, also plays flute and organ.
If you haven't heard them check out their newest album (2016) called Lord Of Misrule.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 15:20
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

They're a post rock band with (mostly) clean vocals. I like that the guy has 'manly'voice...too often these types of bands go for a "light as a feather" wimpy style vocals.

TeleStrat - Thanks for posting you vinyls. That WolveSpirit album you listed got me intrigued, and damn that's one grooooooovy album. I need to pick that one up.

Here's some grape and cherry flavored good ole' mid-90's NY pulverizing death metal:

Immolation: Here in After
Suffocation: Pierced From Within

Thanks! Death, goth, black metal have some of the best looking colored/splatter vinyl......
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 15:44
^^ Oh I love Blood Ceremony, especially Lord of Misrule (my first purple vinyl!). I gave that one a high ranking for the last collaborator's top 2016 list.

^Yeah, fans of heavy albums tend to be a bit rabid fan-wise, so the incentive to buy limited editions tends to be a bit higher I think. Of course, this trend has kinda leaked all the way to the opposite end of the spectrum...case in pointTongue

Norah Jones...good for cocktail parties and nightcaps. The Little Broken Hearts one even came with a big poster.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 08:13
Arrived yesterday...

Sendelica - Sleepwalker Fever 

Doctor Cyclops - Local Dogs

Psychedelic Witchcraft - The Vision

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 08:14
^ You're unstoppable Clap
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 08:26
^  My list of orders pending is down to three albums and they have all shipped.
Very soon I won't have any open orders.  Shocked
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 08:38
^ You'll have plenty of music to listen until your next orders though Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 312>