Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 07:43
Hi!

Here is my weekly yard sales haul Embarrassed

And at last but not least, a first French pressing of Gentle Giant's first album in top condition:

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 13:28
^Nice GG on Vertigo label.

Went to a vinyl record shop in Indianapolis Indiana on Saturday.....picked these up on original vinyl...

Osanna- Landscape of Life
PFM-Cook, live in USA
Strawbs- A Collection of Curios and Antiques
Happy The Man-first
Joe Walsh-Barnstorm (first solo lp)

one of these days I'll have to figure out how to take a pic and post it....;)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 06:25
^^ Very nice finds! I also have that French pressing of Alpha Centauri Smile

^ I never heard that Osanna album, have you heard it yet? I know Cook is great, although I still don't have it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 07:00
More new records! Big smile

I finally found a copy of Rubycon! It only has some noise in the beginning of each side but it plays surprisingly well. It was such a joy to listen Approve

I bought this one really cheap because it has a bent corner. The music is one of the most interesting Space Rock (with tons of different influences) I discovered this year. Soon on PA Wink

I've been getting into Synthpop/New Wave on Youtube this year, this is the first album I got from the genre. It's another of those albums where the inner sleeve forms the cover, in this case you have an alternate cover if you turn the sleeve. Great sounding German pressing too, the synths sound punchy Big smile 

I got this cool classic along with Plank, I only had Journey from him. It's another of those that has sound on the run-out groove, yay for manual turntables LOL

Another Krautrock masterpiece in my collection. It's too bad they didn't keep the cover like the original but at least it sounds great. It's so pleasant to the ear that it's easy to get carried away by the music Approve

One of my favourites of 2015, the record store owner was clearly glad to finally get rid of it LOL It's more electronic than ever and I surely appreciate it. It also has the coolest cover: there's an outter striped plastic cover that creates an animation when you slide the record out. You can see it on video here.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 07:29
Good haul, Sam! Plus the bonus of the best W**kman solo album!

Ooh, might spin `Malesch' next!

I really should get my recent Kew record fair LP haul uploaded onto my Photobucket and post the pics here in the morning when I'm home from work.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 12 2017 at 07:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 09:24
^ Thanks! We'll see about that, I really like Journey. I think he should have ordered the songs chronologically, it makes the concept difficult to follow.

Have fun :D

I already know what you got but I think you should :)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 03:58
DeadConfused for or against VINYL`S. . .they`ll always been in my lifetime and never not been in it. 
long live VINYL`s....................................Clap
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 09:25
Hi!

I was looking for information about sound quality of colored vinyl vs black vinyl and found this :

SCALE OF COLOR VINYL SOUND QUALITY CHARACTERISTICS:*

(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)

1. GGR Black vinyl

4. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)

6. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)

7. White

7. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).

7-8. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades

8. Hand-made variants

8-10. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records

from http://www.gottagrooverecords.com/vinyl-colors/

It seems safe to say that black vinyl last longer but what about sound quality? What do you think?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 10:47
^ Got to agree about the white vinyl. The other day I cleaned my copy of Krakatau's debut, I thought it was dirty but that's just how it is. On the other hand it won't gather dust like black vinyl.

Eh, looks like Photobucket is not working here now, I'll have to find a solution. Too bad the images from Facebook don't show up here.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 18:17
I really haven't noticed a drop in sq from black to coloured vinyls of any kind. But I know Picture Discs are somewhat unreliable. At least 1 in 4 has a skip or flaw somewhere.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 11:24
Biglietto Per L'Inferno - self titled
Biglietto Per L'Inferno - Il Tempo Della Semina
Alphataurus - Attosecondo
Campo Di Marte - self titled

This order arrived quickly and I have to say the vinyl looks excellent.
They're all 180gm with smooth edges and under a bright light the grooves look perfect. 
I'll be playing them soon and I have no doubt they will sound great.

They are on the Italian label AMS Records which was founded in 2005. 
The label specializes in reissues of Italian prog rock (RPI Wink).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 12:20
" I never heard that Osanna album, have you heard it yet? I know Cook is great, although I still don't have it."

The Osanna is good.....but I only know the first 3 albums.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 08:57
This one arrived the other day...

Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek  (2013 reissue)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 09:06
Another recent arrival...

Them Crooked Vultures - self titled  (Los Angeles, CA  2009)
John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl, Josh Homme
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 09:19
^ Nice! I bought it when it came out (almost eight years ago already!) on noisy CD. Supposedly, the vinyl has twice the dynamic range.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 09:22
Arrived this week...

Thin Lizzy - The Passionate One - Tribute To Phil Lynott
2013 US unofficial release, limited to 500 copies on green vinyl 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 09:26
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Nice! I bought it when it came out (almost eight years ago already!) on noisy CD. Supposedly, the vinyl has twice the dynamic range.
I've never heard the CD but the vinyl sounds really good.
I wasn't aware of this album until I recently came across it on Discogs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 09:52
^ Good to know. Have fun then! :)
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 22:43
I ordered this one yesterday from a seller on eBay.  Might end up being one of the coolest vinyl I own, aside from my Elder collection.

Astra - The Black Chord

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 17:54
Arrived today...

Finnforest - Finnforest  (Kuopio, Finland)
2017 reissue of 1975 original

Finnforest - Lahto Matkalle  (Kuopio, Finland)
2017 reissue of 1976 original

Sunbirds - Sunbirds  (multi national based in Germany)
2015 reissue of 1971 original
JRF with Philip Catherine on guitar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 312>