Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 16:29
Pink power!

Yes I try to keep the plastic on the sleeve sometimes. 
When I think of Opeth's brooding heavy prog, 'baby pink' certainly comes to mind. Hey, I bought it for the pink ribbon cause!
Bjork's vinyl matches up well...and it's a darker pink.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 19:10
Sticking with the heavy psych/doom/stoner theme again, I picked up Green Druid's ambitious double LP `Ashen Blood' from earlier this year a couple of weeks back. You know the drill - plodding dirge-like guitars, drawn-out proggy instrumental stretches and wasted vocals. One piece is an 18-minute side-long track as well. Although you'd swear they had a female singer listening to the first track...

Ha, love the hilariously moody and epic shot of the band on the gatefold sleeve too

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 15 2018 at 19:11
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 02:49
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^I have had it quite a while too, also with original inner (itīs quite often missing). Someday I will like to have also Larks Tongue with original inner, when I bought it, I didnīt know it has inner too.
ugh. mine doesn't have an inner :( Ahh well. gives me another excuse to keeo on diggin.

It just has lyrics on the one side and the other is blank. The inner of Larks is really much same kind. Hereīs picture in the images of Starless inner:
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 12:35

^I have had it quite a while too, also with original inner (itīs quite often missing). Someday I will like to have also Larks Tongue with original inner, when I bought it, I didnīt know it has inner too.
ugh. mine doesn't have an inner :( Ahh well. gives me another excuse to keeo on diggin.

It just has lyrics on the one side and the other is blank. The inner of Larks is really much same kind. Hereīs picture in the images of Starless inner:

I have the 1974 US Atlantic PRC pressing and it has the printed lyric inner sleeve. KC vinyl is tough to find in VG/+ condition.
So have been buying the 200g reissues......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 18:37
Another pickup from a month or so back, a limited edition LP compilation "Beautiful Lady - A Medley of Rare 70's Prog and Psych". Limited to 300 copies, like all compilations it's a mixed bag, with some special and some less memorable moments, but it's still very nice.

A1. Tapestry - Armageddon
A2. Gnidrolog - Ship ( Live )
A3. Witches Brew - Take Me There
A4. Guggenheim - Morning Light
A5. Ceathrar - Faoilean
A6. Listen - Astral Boogie

B1. Witches Brew - Beautiful Lady
B2. Sandgate - A Thousand Years
B3. Tapestry - Betrothal / Sea Suite
B4. Foister - The Three Wheels
B5. Guggenheim - Confusion
B6. Collusion - I've Got That Cold Porridge Feeling

Oh, and it should be pointed out, it's not actually a `medley' where all the tracks run in and out of eachother in a continious manner, it's literally just a compilation

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 02:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have the 1974 US Atlantic PRC pressing and it has the printed lyric inner sleeve. KC vinyl is tough to find in VG/+ condition.
So have been buying the 200g reissues......
I have same pressing in a mint condition. Bought it in the nineties and it wasnīt very expensive.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 02:13
^Sorry, not Atlantic, itīs Island Uk version from the same year.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 20:51
Here's the 2017 LP reissue of the 1998 Zone Six debut. On its original release, the spacerock band had a female vocalist who improvised lyrics over the top of their psychedelic jams. Since that time, the group has essentially evolved into an instrumental act, so for this new version the vocals have been removed (which is something of a shame, because they were always plenty decent) and its now a fully instrumental album, more in line with what they sound like nowadays. In many ways it's taken what was already a great album and perhaps made it even better. Cue lots of fuzzy guitar soloing, trippy effects, mellow and darker jams, etc. Wonderful album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWXm8hhG-fo
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 10:28
^ Are you getting these on the world wide interweb or a local record store near you?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 08:55
Got a nice RSD haul:

Brian Eno and Kevin Shields - "The Weight of History In Clouds"
Eek-A-Mouse - "Ganja Smuggling"
Duke Reid b/w Roland Alphonso - "Judge Sympathy" b/w "Never To Be Mine"
Bongo Man Records - Natural High
Sun Ra - Astro Black
             Cymbals/Symbols
             Pine Street Theatre, 1988
David Bowie - Welcome To The Blackout (London 1978)
Swans - Die Tur Ist Zu
Mac DeMarco - Old Dog Demos
The Residents - The Warner Brothers Album
Ornette Coleman - An Evening With Ornette Coleman, Part II
Uncle Tupelo - No Depression Demos

I'm going to head back out later to another record store seeking a bunch of other releases.
On that note:

Popol Vuh - Messa di Orfeo
Hawkwind - Dark Matter
DJ Spooky - Phantom Dancehall
Dr. Octagon - Moosebumps Instrumentals
Sock-Tight - Second Wind

Still need to hit the internet...

Edited by LearsFool - April 21 2018 at 14:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 19:42
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Are you getting these on the world wide interweb or a local record store near you?

Hey mate, the majority of these I get from an online store called Kozmik Artifactz - http://shop.bilocationrecords.com/. Sadly if you order more than one LP the postage jumps up, you can include four at a time to fit in the same postage price, so I try to get that many at one time. They arrive very quickly though, and they've got a damn good range. Sadly there's almost no local stores that offer the stoner/heavy psych stuff in particular that I'm aware of.

As for the more traditional prog stuff, most of that I get from record fairs or one or two second hand stores that occasionally have unexpected or exciting stuff here and there that I'm just lucky enough to come across at the time.

Will post some more pick-ups shortly!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 01:13
^
Ahh makes sense, might look into that website

I hit one store today for RSD. Picked up a few used and one new record. Also this store had a few reel to reel tapes. I bought 2 pre-recorded tapes...
For RSD, this owner was running a storewide sale as it was his 20th anniversary too. I'll post a pic later.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 20:17
Recent pick up a few days back on the Record Store Day sales - German prog band Prisma's `Phantasma', recorded live in 1977, released on LP only 2007 in 500 copies. Sourced from a murky audience tape recording it seems, they kind of sound a little like Nektar with a touch of Camel. It's a shame they never got into a studio and properly recorded their music, because it might have helped punch up their material. Hardly essential, and the sound quality will be a total dealbreaker for some, but a nice obscurity nonetheless, and there was a lot of potential in them.

There's a clip here of one of the LP sides (no Youtube clips though it seems):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2skkb9
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 13:48
My RSD finds, nothing really obscure or prog by any nature. Just some music that I like........been looking for a copy of Pearl Jam Ten, original versions are $75-$100 for used. The S.Korea pressing is regarded as the best but not paying $100. One day Vetter will get serious about his recordings and have them remastered/remixed from the analog tapes, rather than the 16bit DAT. It sounds decent but missing dynamics, rather flat too......thank you digital! Angry

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 23:48
Got last week John Fogertyīs Blue Moon Swamp with blue vinyl.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 20:11
Recent pick-up, part of the Record Store Day releases, Heldon's `Live in Metz '77'. Improvisations of heavy wailing guitar tantrums, maddening electronics and aggressive thrashing drums! Sound quality is fairly lo-fi, maybe a bit above a really good bootleg, but the rougher edges perfectly suit this sort of thing. I think it's limited to 1000 copies?

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:25
^ That looks awesome
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 01:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ That looks awesome

It's pretty damn decent, man. If you get on and do a Google search for it you can probably still find a copy, but the site I grabbed it from don't even have it listed anymore. It's not super expensive, pretty much standard modern vinyl price, but I noticed it's slowly but surely vanishing. Best jump on it right away, mate.

Sadly, there's pretty much no sound samples or Youtube clips for it anywhere, nor (I think) is it even offered as a digital download, so it was a bit of a `blind buy'...well, sound wise at least! As I said above, it kind of sounds like an unfancy live recording or a really good bootleg, so if you can put up with that, grab it!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 03:50
^ Mike,   Number ?????
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 11:32
That's pretty sweet!! Love the cover.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220 312>