Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 14:18
Have to be honest,  not a fan of Vinyl.  Too much maintenance involved  to keep clean.  Glad when CD's came in and now a lot  better in sound today.  I've now stopped buying cd's and buying digital downloads instead.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 22:05
Never changed vinyls to cd`s, although I have some cd:s, just because specially in Finland in the nineties everything wasnīt released as vinyl. Nowdays all come in vinyl, only few small labels doesnīt release vinyl. Honestly always preferred vinyl sounding, cd is "too good". Also there are those covers that just look so much better than cd covers (I am old enough that itīs hard to me see lyrics in the cd booklet). But even I am also in spotify, just canīt afford to buy everything I want as vinyl.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 00:04
I'm definitely a `pick n mix' kind of guy. I prefer CD overall (probably for space reasons mostly), but there's particular styles of music I prefer on particular formats. For the heavy psych, stoner and folk stuff, I definitely like vinyl. For electronic/ambient etc I always want pristine CD without a pop or crackle to ruin the atmosphere! For the Italian stuff, especially the reissues of titles from the classic 70's period, I LOVE those beautiful Mini LP packages many of them come in!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 03 2018 at 00:05
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 05:34
It's been a while since I last posted here. Here are a few records I bought lately:

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 16:09
^ Nice haul Sam!! What is the middle one 2nd down? I can't reply cause the pic will make me chose cars, buses, mountains, road signs, store fronts, bridges.......in 40 different countries LOL!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 02:37
^ Thanks! I think you're talking about Bo Hansson's Watership Down, it's kind of similar to Camel's Snow Goose if I'm not mistaken. 
The one over it is Michael Rother's Sterntaler, a continuation to Neu! sound but with more drums and lots of guitar layers.
My most prized acquisition was that Klaus Schulze album, the very first German pressing in great condition.
Also, that Cars album is a German pressing and it sounds so powerful Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 15:09
^ Sterntaler was the one I was asking about.......Cool. Yes the debut Cars album is amazing as is Candy-O, both are amazing sounding if you can find original pressings/issues.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 01:27
^ Heartbeat City is the best song they ever did IMO !!
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 19:44
So thanks to a friend in Japan, I was able to snag two more Mika Nakashima Sony vinyls...now I have 4 total. We're talking about a grand worth of vinyl in this photo on the internet market...

Also, because the couple of old Yes vinyls I own are old and adorned with skips, I gave in and bought the Steven Wilson remix boxset. Yep, I haven't abandoned good ole famous prog with the apparently uncool S. Wilson tag on it. Thanks Steve!

I don't know...all sounds good to me!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 08:36
^ I have a few SWilson remixes myself but they all have the original artwork. That's just weird Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 11:53
I don't mind the tag......the JTull have his name on them too. From an audiophile perspective, his remixes are nothing less than stellar. He clearly knows what he is doing with remixing from original tape or digital masters.

I wish all my records sounded like what he does, the new issue of Deadwing is brilliant! All the details of that music you can hear it.

I have the Friday Music half-speed reissue of CTTE and really it's just OK, sounds really nice but I might have to bite on the SW box set. The Yes Album I have is a German pressing and is super nice....the others like you, mine are well played.

Those Mika's are super sweet!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 11:08
Well, it's not vinyl, but it's my music on a piece of tape Wink Funny how the tape mastering changed the music so much, especially the synth tracks. The hiss also masks the amateurish production LOL

In case you're interested Smile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 16:35
Yeah, the CTTE cover threw me a bit, wasn't expecting that...at least the inner gatefold is the same, I used to just stare at that vista while listening to it when I was a youngster.
The Fragile is a bit different, here it is alongside my worn out old one

And TFTO is rather different as well...pyramid off to the side

What's kind of annoying though is that the only change to the Yes album is the "Remixed by Steven Wilson" tag along the side. Like how about some floating islands instead of a floating wig-stand? You're going to play around with the cool covers and not the one that could really use a cover change?
Relayer looks unaltered...don't want to mess with that.

The Mika collection might as well be an heirloom to my kids.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 16:41
Also grabbed the new Immortal album. I went for the "black & white swirl" vinyl (there were like 7 options available!), but mine came out demented. It looks like a defective mess...or that I spilled white paint on the regular edition. I think it's cool looking!

Trippy music there Meltdowner...made dealing with captcha a little easier!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 06:29
^^ Fragile's new artwork looks so boring next to the original.

^ Ah, thanks! There wasn't captcha here when I recorded it, so it wasn't intentional :P
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 00:23
Are you knowing there exists Fragile pressing without ship? Really expensive of course.

https://www.discogs.com/Yes-Fragile/release/9594833
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 11:49
That Immortal vinyl is awesome!!!

Yea that Fragile cover is rare for sure. I read in magazine once it was used for a test pressing.......I think it is LZ I with turquoise color print that is also super rare and very expensive.
That's why we dig thru bins as you never know when your going to find your Van Gogh of vinyl!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 11:59
Very psychedelic music there Sam, with an EDM spice also.......nice! 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That Immortal vinyl is awesome!!!

Yea that Fragile cover is rare for sure. I read in magazine once it was used for a test pressing.......I think it is LZ I with turquoise color print that is also super rare and very expensive.
That's why we dig thru bins as you never know when your going to find your Van Gogh of vinyl!
This is the text in discogs:
This version has NO BOAT (wooden spaceship) on cover.
Probably this would be made for test proof or confirmation about illustration. 

** Photo and Text are form <Eurasia> Blog (Japanese Shop) :

< Yes / Fragile "NO BOAT" first edition cover >
Roger Dean is a painter of England, and is famous for depicting the cover art of records around the world.
Some works of Roger Dean caught the attention of Atlantic Records, received an order for a illustration of new work of progressive rock band "YES" in 1971.
This is a fantastic illustration of the 4th album "Fragile".
This illustration can also be interpreted as a warning to the future of the earth exposed to the dangers of nuclear weapons and environmental destruction.
It is said that copy of the first cover design of this album exist no more than few pieces in worldwide.
And it is depicted in much more dark colors than the design of mass-produced version.
This must be the original image that came to mind of Roger Dean when drawing the "Fragile star".
The impression that I saw the real thing, more artistic aura is emitted than commercial illustration.
On the mass production, color is changed bright, a boat has been added.
The Fragile "NO BOAT" is a ultimate item.
It is the rarest one of highly artistic piece among a huge number of progressive rock collector's items.
http://www.record-eurasia.com/blog/

Havenīt heard about that first LZ-cover, thanx for the information!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 13:41
Just watched that first Led Zeppelin from discogs, it seems only band name was made in turquoise letters in first pressing, but naturally I would like to have it also:
https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin/release/1218217
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 312>