Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:59
Originally posted by record collector record collector wrote:

I mostly only buy vinyls but I rip them in Hi-Res 24 bit 192 kHz FLAC and stream the from my computer... I'm afraid i'm a little bit to lazy to lify my ass every 20 minutes to change the vinyl disc.

Btw, I use a Benchmark DAC1/DAC2 connected between my computer and my Onkyo A-809 amp to get good sound quality at my 4 x Dali Concept 10.

I listen to music while sitting nice and relaxed so I can soak up everything the artist is trying to convey. I'm not driving, working, doing dishes, folding laundry or anything but listening. 
For me digital is 100% convenience and for when I just want music on while I am doing something else, in those cases I get maybe 20% of what an artist is doing, it's not critical listening.

Most of my record collection I have a CD for it already and new releases come with a CD or digital download card.

Enjoy your music!
Whamdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whamdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 13:03
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

[QUOTE=record collector]

I listen to music while sitting nice and relaxed so I can soak up everything the artist is trying to convey. I'm not driving, working, doing dishes, folding laundry or anything but listening. 
For me digital is 100% convenience and for when I just want music on while I am doing something else, in those cases I get maybe 20% of what an artist is doing, it's not critical listening.

Most of my record collection I have a CD for it already and new releases come with a CD or digital download card.

exacty the same, Music is for sitting and getting, absorbing I guess

The Wham Daddy
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PC-72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 15:02
I've crates' worth of vinyls I'd collected, unplayed, untouched by human hand, and I don't know why I never actually got around to listening to them rather than just hoarding them, other than, well, younger me was a bellend. The whole point of having them was so I could listen to them, not so they could gather dust.

Bunch of them even ended up getting warped in storage, so I'm now trying to find ways to straighten them out. I didn't even know until I broke them out to impress my wife. Then I played them and they went howling due to the warp. It was embarrassing. But we did manage to find some that were still listenable.
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2019 at 10:49
^ Sorry to hear that some got warped...I had a basement flood 2 years ago and lost a handful of vinyl..some were obscure collectable psych and proto prog things.
I have bought about 30 pieces of old vinyl in the last few months and still haven't played them all.... everything from Incredible String Band to Joe Walsh to Weather Report.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 08:50
Been on a major indie-girl dreampop/shoegaze kick this year.

Hatchie is not bad, but Steady Holiday (the one on the bottom) is just heavenly stuff,complete with lots of tasteful mellotron. I dig how most releases these days come with download cards. Makes it all worth it.

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 19:03
My Jay Som records. The one on the bottom, Anak Ko, is an "early bird" edition,hence the vinyl itself is different from the regular colored edition. It also came with extra booklets about the making of each song . plus stickers and other little treats.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 10:40
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Been on a major indie-girl dreampop/shoegaze kick this year.

Hatchie is not bad, but Steady Holiday (the one on the bottom) is just heavenly stuff,complete with lots of tasteful mellotron. I dig how most releases these days come with download cards. Makes it all worth it.

Those are cool!! Never heard the band before
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 10:16

My bad, the groups are Hatchie and Steady Holiday, and they're actually individuals using monikers instead of their names. I'm thinking it's a trend these days, Jay Som is not the the singer/performer's name either (though you could call her a "band" in that she plays all the instruments (including a 'real' drumset). Steady Holiday plays multiple instruments on her album as well.

A couple more indie ladies:

I have pink albums, but this was my first "pink with a bit of white swirl" deal.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 10:22

My bad, the groups are Hatchie and Steady Holiday, and they're actually individuals using monikers instead of their names. I'm thinking it's a trend these days, Jay Som is not the the singer/performer's name either (though you could call her a "band" in that she plays all the instruments (including a 'real' drumset). Steady Holiday plays multiple instruments on her album as well.

A couple more indie ladies:

I have pink albums, but this was my first "pink with a bit of white swirl" deal.

I like "pink" :) 
Don't think I have yellow, that one is cool. I just got Prince Musicology, of course its purple. Also bought a Cher album reissue of 3614 Jackson Hwy, recorded in Muscle Shoals, AL we lived there for a few yrs. Did not know that one is clear with a bit of purple swirl.....I'll add pics later.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:07

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:06
OK....some one offered to sell me this one for US $70, original used vinyl vg+......is that a fair price? It seems about average on Discogs.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 10 2019 at 15:07
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

OK....some one offered to sell me this one for US $70, original used vinyl vg+......is that a fair price? It seems about average on Discogs.

I always go by Discogs pricing. If you have inspected the surface and agree it is VG+, the jacket and sleeve are also VG+ then it's a good buy. I bet next year it will be $90.......As long as its not the reissue version, check the matrix code in the run out.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 06:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That Cher vinyl looks awesome, one thing I don't have is transparent light purple in my collection. The Prince is cool too...love the purple.

Two new pre-orders came in:

The Bat For Lashes album is also autographed by Natasha. This edition was sold out well before the release date. Black vinyl only now.
That Chelsea Wolfe vinyl I got is also sold out, though there's still another color vinyl option available (for now). I try to stay on top of my fav ladies' new releases.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 13:00
^ Nice! I love splatter look........I've bought a lot of records the past month or two but all plain old black. I just pre-ordered the new Flower Kings record its light blue, not sure if translucent. 
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 12:16
He guys! I just found this forum and I love it! I would also love to contribute, but that's not that easy.. which got me thinking. Why not start a 'progarchives vinyl' facebook group? That would allow for taking photo's with our phone and upload and show them directly. Furthermore, all reactions would be organized much better.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 20:35
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

He guys! I just found this forum and I love it! I would also love to contribute, but that's not that easy.. which got me thinking. Why not start a 'progarchives vinyl' facebook group? That would allow for taking photo's with our phone and upload and show them directly. Furthermore, all reactions would be organized much better.

Glad you like it..........Vinyl rules, everything else drools! LOL (Visually and sonically). Anyhow, I don't do FB, but that is a good idea for those that do FB.
With posting contributions getting less and less around here on PA, this thread has gotten quiet. But a couple of us still post our finds. 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 16:41
Sorry I don't post much, only once in a while do I get the urge here these days.

A couple of new ones:

The Lacuna Coil is a 20th anniversary opaque purple, hard to believe it's that old now.
The Bent Knee vinyl turned out even better looking than I was expecting!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 18:59

Sorry I don't post much, only once in a while do I get the urge here these days.

A couple of new ones:

The Lacuna Coil is a 20th anniversary opaque purple, hard to believe it's that old now.
The Bent Knee vinyl turned out even better looking than I was expecting!

Saw Bent Knee with Haken last year........Excellent band!! Damn, I need to get that one, ur killin me dude!! Can you tell me who pressed it?

Edited by Catcher10 - October 21 2019 at 19:00
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:32

My Jay Som records. The one on the bottom, Anak Ko, is an "early bird" edition,hence the vinyl itself is different from the regular colored edition. It also came with extra booklets about the making of each song . plus stickers and other little treats.

I LOVE HER!!!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 22:24
How can I respond when I keep getting rejected
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 312>