Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232233234 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 16:05
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Yes, tons of ear candy.....Cutting it for vinyl rather than the CD version I have is all the difference. My point is I have given up buying numerous CD versions looking for the one that is not compressed to hell, sure used CDs are cheap, but buying 10 used CDs at $5 is still $50, the vinyl version is much less.

I will go to my grave saying digital should be better, but the mastering is garbage for the most part.....Digital has missed the boat 20yrs ago. Now you have to spend as much if not more on digital gear and 24bit hi-rez/SACD to match analog today. Digital does win the lazy factor LOL

You are definitely right in most respects with in your comment. I have so much trouble buying new music, however there are still some wonderful gems that are mastered to disc incredibly that come out each year, especially those expensive MOFI discs.
What I can say about my original first cd pressing of Peter’s incredible 1984 “plays live” is that it sounds incredible on my very costly Hi-Fi headphone set up. Very low compression with a ton of DNR, however the remaster on disc is no good. I sold it years ago and of course just kept my original.

Anyhow, my favourite track is “the Humdrum.” Love the crescendo/ build up of that tune.

Also Jose, do you have Secret World on vinyl? Bet that sounds awesome. I’m a huge Peter Walsh fan. One of my favourite producers and mixing engineers.

No, Secret World Live has never been issued on vinyl till now, it was only issued digital and cassette. I have a US 2xCD version which is pretty good. I am certain the vinyl version will be brilliant as all these PG releases are.
But as I said Covid has pushed it out to end October release Angry

Well I’m so glad they’re finally releasing that one as a nice double vinyl. About time!
Yeah the 1994 disc pressing from realworld is very decent. Have no intention of getting the remaster.
I love “Steam” off Secret World. Levin’s Bass punches a whole through the sky! :)

One of my best sounding albums is Us, the 45RPM 1/2 speed mastered version from 2016 is a sonic masterpiece. The deep sub tones are bone shaking, from bass synth pedals to Levin's bass playing....awesome!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 17:02

^ Yes, tons of ear candy.....Cutting it for vinyl rather than the CD version I have is all the difference. My point is I have given up buying numerous CD versions looking for the one that is not compressed to hell, sure used CDs are cheap, but buying 10 used CDs at $5 is still $50, the vinyl version is much less.

I will go to my grave saying digital should be better, but the mastering is garbage for the most part.....Digital has missed the boat 20yrs ago. Now you have to spend as much if not more on digital gear and 24bit hi-rez/SACD to match analog today. Digital does win the lazy factor LOL

You are definitely right in most respects with in your comment. I have so much trouble buying new music, however there are still some wonderful gems that are mastered to disc incredibly that come out each year, especially those expensive MOFI discs.
What I can say about my original first cd pressing of Peter’s incredible 1984 “plays live” is that it sounds incredible on my very costly Hi-Fi headphone set up. Very low compression with a ton of DNR, however the remaster on disc is no good. I sold it years ago and of course just kept my original.

Anyhow, my favourite track is “the Humdrum.” Love the crescendo/ build up of that tune.

Also Jose, do you have Secret World on vinyl? Bet that sounds awesome. I’m a huge Peter Walsh fan. One of my favourite producers and mixing engineers.

No, Secret World Live has never been issued on vinyl till now, it was only issued digital and cassette. I have a US 2xCD version which is pretty good. I am certain the vinyl version will be brilliant as all these PG releases are.

Well I’m so glad they’re finally releasing that one as a nice double vinyl. About time!
Yeah the 1994 disc pressing from realworld is very decent. Have no intention of getting the remaster.
I love “Steam” off Secret World. Levin’s Bass punches a whole through the sky! :)

One of my best sounding albums is Us, the 45RPM 1/2 speed mastered version from 2016 is a sonic masterpiece. The deep sub tones are bone shaking, from bass synth pedals to Levin's bass playing....awesome!

Nice man!!!

Yeah and US has that great Daniel Lanois production. It is awesome.
That album has grown on me considerably over the last couple of years.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 18:58

Nice man!!!

What has really helped my system has been the addition of a subwoofer last year, I added a SVS SB2000 12" sub, rated down to 19Hz with 500wpc, 1200 peak power class D internal amp. It has added that extra meat my tower speakers are not able to reproduce below 38Hz, so I get fantastic low end sustain of bass notes. It pressurizes my room nicely when I crank the volume, yet at low levels is still pleasing and bass detailed.
Once I had the sub dialed in with the appropriate crossover and phase settings, I spun MDavis KoB, and was absolutely floored at what I was hearing from Paul Chambers stand up bass....I had NEVER heard the album like that! Dude, I cried LOLCry........it was and still is bootiful!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 10:12

Had to crop it kinda weird so it wouldn’t upload to PA but pretty good day! OG vertigo label on the Giant!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 08:54
^ Great finds! The few times I saw early Gentle Giant, National Health or Khan on vinyl, it was really overpriced.

Since I used to buy most LP's at record fairs and concerts, it's been a very slow year for me. Last month I finally visited a couple of record stores (and bought quite a few CD's as well). I'm glad to finally own Future Days and La Düsseldorf. The live Gentle Giant was a very nice find as well, it's an original English pressing.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 10:24
Those are all great finds! You both did great......I have been slow also since going to a record store I have not felt comfortable doing. Been buying only new releases online, I'm not a big buyer of used online as I'm a touchy feely person with used I like to inspect run out grooves and of course condition.

Maybe next month I'll try venturing into a store...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:03
Received new release by The Pineapple Thief on Friday, played it last night. I really like TPF, this music is very good but more reserved, melancholy and emotional. It's missing the slam that I love about TPF especially with Gavin Harrison on the drums, although I do like the marimbas he's playing on a couple songs its a nice touch. I did notice that all song writing credits are both Bruce and Gavin.

I hope the next album will be more weighted to previous albums like Someone Here Is Missing, Your Wilderness and Dissolution. 

As far as record itself it is impeccable! Steve Kitch is really doing a fantastic mastering job on all their recordings and of course Optimal Media on the pressing is pristine.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 14:59
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Had to crop it kinda weird so it wouldn’t upload to PA but pretty good day! OG vertigo label on the Giant!

Nice group.....have all of those on original vinyl other than Khan....I bought a reissue a few years ago...have never seen an original Khan in bins in Indiana.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 17:16
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Nice group.....have all of those on original vinyl other than Khan....I bought a reissue a few years ago...have never seen an original Khan in bins in Indiana.

I doubt you ever will, not in the bins, they only released 1 album. Maybe on the wall behind the register and depending on condition might fetch about $150.00 for an original on UK Deram label, you can get a US version released in '78 for about $50.00. All this depends on condition of record and sleeve of course.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 19:40
I got a great deal on Khan and National Health, 54$ for the two of them! Both in fantastic condition, I’m incredibly happy to own both of them. The Acquiring the Taste is possibly my new prized possession being an original US vertigo swirl label pressing all around near mint plus. Those giant albums need no remixing or remastering, all the originals already sound great!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 03:25

Nice man!!!

What has really helped my system has been the addition of a subwoofer last year, I added a SVS SB2000 12" sub, rated down to 19Hz with 500wpc, 1200 peak power class D internal amp. It has added that extra meat my tower speakers are not able to reproduce below 38Hz, so I get fantastic low end sustain of bass notes. It pressurizes my room nicely when I crank the volume, yet at low levels is still pleasing and bass detailed.
Once I had the sub dialed in with the appropriate crossover and phase settings, I spun MDavis KoB, and was absolutely floored at what I was hearing from Paul Chambers stand up bass....I had NEVER heard the album like that! Dude, I cried LOLCry........it was and still is bootiful!

It is always the best when sheer fidelity can move you to tears.
Now having a more “life like” experience with audio there is no going back.
It sounds like you have a terrific sub that extends pretty damn low. I wish I could invest more into my outward listening experience, however my living situation and lifestyle doesn’t merit that just yet.

Also. Good news for all vinyl heads. For the first time since the 1980’s CDs sales were out sold by vinyl sales For this year.
I thought that was pretty damn cool.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 15:17

I got a great deal on Khan and National Health, 54$ for the two of them! Both in fantastic condition, I’m incredibly happy to own both of them. The Acquiring the Taste is possibly my new prized possession being an original US vertigo swirl label pressing all around near mint plus. Those giant albums need no remixing or remastering, all the originals already sound great!

If you got an original Khan and Nat Health for $54 ...that's a great deal.!
Clap
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 15:18
I posted this on the recent purchase thread:

Being old fashioned I only buy original vinyl....found these recently at Indy cd and vinyl in Indianapolis, IN.

Refugee (Famous Charisma label 1974)
Bruford-Gradually Going Tornado (US 1980)
Peter Bardens- Write My Name in the Dust (Verve 1971 US)
Ange- De Cimitere Des Arlequins- (Phillips US label) gatefold with French lyrics no less...
Trace- Birds (Sire 1975)

I love finding old things at a good price ..those were all very reasonable...$6 US each..only Ange was $15.00 US. ...and all in very good shape. 
Going back soon to visit the daughter and grand kids so I'll be hitting that shop.

Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 17:05

Nice man!!!

It is always the best when sheer fidelity can move you to tears.
Now having a more “life like” experience with audio there is no going back.
It sounds like you have a terrific sub that extends pretty damn low. I wish I could invest more into my outward listening experience, however my living situation and lifestyle doesn’t merit that just yet.

Also. Good news for all vinyl heads. For the first time since the 1980’s CDs sales were out sold by vinyl sales For this year.
I thought that was pretty damn cool.

Then I say move!! LOL SVS subs punch wayyyyy over price point, easily giant killers when compared to the likes of REL, JL Audio and most of the boutique audio stuff. We don't hear anything below around 25Hz, but I don't want to hear that....I want to FEEL the energy below 25Hz and the sustain of bass notes is amazing now. Plus the musical presence and atmosphere is much larger now, I have a couple null points in the frequency response but that is normal with subs and room conditions like furniture and reflection points, my listening spot is excellent thou.
I've toyed with getting another one to smooth out the response...we'll see, I'm very happy with one.

CDs will never go away, they are SUPER cheap to press, I would not be surprised if CD prices drop. What is keeping LP prices up is production/supply, massive demand right now and probably for the next 5yrs easily. That fire in SoCal at the Apollo plant that made stampers is a main cause too...  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I posted this on the recent purchase thread:

Being old fashioned I only buy original vinyl....found these recently at Indy cd and vinyl in Indianapolis, IN.

Refugee (Famous Charisma label 1974)
Bruford-Gradually Going Tornado (US 1980)
Peter Bardens- Write My Name in the Dust (Verve 1971 US)
Ange- De Cimitere Des Arlequins- (Phillips US label) gatefold with French lyrics no less...
Trace- Birds (Sire 1975)

I love finding old things at a good price ..those were all very reasonable...$6 US each..only Ange was $15.00 US. ...and all in very good shape. 
Going back soon to visit the daughter and grand kids so I'll be hitting that shop.

Nice!! Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 17:07

I'd be interested to know if the Khan is the Deram UK original print or from US on PVC label reissue...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 17:23
Ohh boy, be still my heart (and wallet!!). This is finally out for pre-order, only 5,000 will be made....That video makes it even worse to try and fend off the evil buying spirits!! LOL. Question is can this be any better than the Steven Wilson Remix, which is amazing...??

Edited by Catcher10 - September 23 2020 at 17:23
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:44
Received a couple days ago......Surprising that Sola Gratia is very easy listen, I've spun it twice already. As compared to Similitude Of A Dream, I struggle sitting thru that album without getting bored. I like that on Sola he added some nice back ground vocal groups.

Magnolia is another well mastered and mixed album, all of their albums sound magnificent.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 11:14
^ Similitude has a really really strong single album in the mix, but unfortunately its dragged out to a double disc. The second disc does very little for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 10:35

^ Similitude has a really really strong single album in the mix, but unfortunately its dragged out to a double disc. The second disc does very little for me.

Yyyyyyyup!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232233234 312>