Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 09:59
^ Still good questions.....I don't work in the record industry or vinyl pressing plants. Maybe someone will join the forums that works in those segments, one day
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 12:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What gets me is when you look at new vinyl releases, from what I see on websites and in record stores...deathmetal, gore, blackmetal adn the like are getting issued on almost everything! I cannot believe that crowd is in the 40-50yr old segment, it must be 20-40yr olds buying up all that death/gore/black metal vinyl!

Would be good if someone from the recording industry knew how that works...good question!

A large contingent of metal fans in their younger years seem to treat metal, particularly the extreme stuff, as not just music but a lifestyle choice...an identity. The image, artwork and visual aspects of the band members themselves all play almost as much of a role as the music itself. A cultural thing, and owning vinyls with the large artwork are like "supporting the underground cause" or whatnot. Currently the numerous limited edition vinyls (independent metal-based labels don't tend to mass produce releases) also tend to shoot up in value pretty fast, with fanatics of certain acts willing to buy discontinued releases for higher prices...so there's the "investment" factor as well. I can only imagine how many extreme vinyl releases were limited to 666 copies.

It is rather interesting that extreme metal fanatics are so willing to spend extra cash for large physical copies of their favorite band's releases, moreso than fans of most other genres I can think of. Then again, I was there too a long time ago, buying LPs and tapes of the craziest stuff I could find without even knowing what the bands actually sounded like. I just assumed it would be up my alley (although this would occasionally backfire).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 13:24
^ Amusing you should say 666 copies - I have Runaway Totem's 'Trimegisto' LP and it's limited to 666 copies !! Mine is no. 486...
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 19:40
Cool! Can't say I have any numbered vinyls, although I haven't really checked.

I'll only buy newer vinyl releases if I reeeaally dig the band, but man it's getting tempting to buy some obscure black metal release and just keep it in the packaging and hold it for a few years before selling it. Still, it kinda doesn't feel right for some reason.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 21:27
I can for sure see the value in buying some of these extreme metal issues on vinyl. Crazy artwork, gatefolds and usually colored vinyl...especially when they are limited in volume.

For sure if it was to my listening taste I'd be all over them.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 13:44
Finally got this on vinyl........One of my favorite SB albums. The SQ is fantastic, especially on The Light where they used the original 8-track cassette demo distorted vocals and guitar...But overall a very fine sounding vinyl by Inside Out Music.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 15:11
!!! ^ Nice one again. Beautiful job with the whole package with cool sleeve notes from Neal. So far it's my No.1 Spock's album (but I haven't heard them all).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 15:18
And he printed those four letter words....Shocked
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 00:42
^ Ha ! But " He's not in that place anymore "......
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:06
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

What gets me is when you look at new vinyl releases, from what I see on websites and in record stores...deathmetal, gore, blackmetal adn the like are getting issued on almost everything! I cannot believe that crowd is in the 40-50yr old segment, it must be 20-40yr olds buying up all that death/gore/black metal vinyl!

Would be good if someone from the recording industry knew how that works...good question!

A large contingent of metal fans in their younger years seem to treat
metal, particularly the extreme stuff, as not just music but a lifestyle
choice...an identity. The image, artwork and visual aspects of the band
members themselves all play almost as much of a role as the music
itself. A cultural thing, and owning vinyls with the large artwork are
like "supporting the underground cause" or whatnot. Currently the numerous
limited edition vinyls (independent metal-based labels don't tend to mass produce releases) also tend to shoot up in value pretty fast, with fanatics of
certain acts willing to buy discontinued releases for higher prices...so
there's the "investment" factor as well. I can only imagine how many extreme vinyl releases were limited to 666 copies.It is rather
interesting that extreme metal fanatics are so willing to spend extra
cash for large physical copies of their favorite band's releases, moreso
than fans of most other genres I can think of. Then again, I was there
too a long time ago, buying LPs and tapes of the craziest stuff I could
find without even knowing what the bands actually sounded like. I just
assumed it would be up my alley (although this would occasionally
backfire).

The artwork attached to metal albums is its own subculture. I've always found that metal albums carry the strongest, most provocative artwork available out of any music genre. It's bloody amazing. I love Sepultura's, Iron Maiden's, Morbid Angel and Fear Factory's. it's very clever.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 16:14
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

A large contingent of metal fans in their younger years seem to treat
metal, particularly the extreme stuff, as not just music but a lifestyle
choice...an identity. The image, artwork and visual aspects of the band
members themselves all play almost as much of a role as the music
itself. A cultural thing, and owning vinyls with the large artwork are
like "supporting the underground cause" or whatnot. Currently the numerous
limited edition vinyls (independent metal-based labels don't tend to mass produce releases) also tend to shoot up in value pretty fast, with fanatics of
certain acts willing to buy discontinued releases for higher prices...so
there's the "investment" factor as well. I can only imagine how many extreme vinyl releases were limited to 666 copies.It is rather
interesting that extreme metal fanatics are so willing to spend extra
cash for large physical copies of their favorite band's releases, moreso
than fans of most other genres I can think of. Then again, I was there
too a long time ago, buying LPs and tapes of the craziest stuff I could
find without even knowing what the bands actually sounded like. I just
assumed it would be up my alley (although this would occasionally
backfire).

The artwork attached to metal albums is its own subculture. I've always found that metal albums carry the strongest, most provocative artwork available out of any music genre. It's bloody amazing. I love Sepultura's, Iron Maiden's, Morbid Angel and Fear Factory's. it's very clever.

Very true....I am not into the metal that was being discussed, call me old school heavy metal, but IM artwork is pretty sick

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 20:10
^ well I could stare at that for days!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 20:28
^ Yep - awesome cover, awesome album. If Ancient Mariner isn't a full blown Prog epic, then ITCOTCK is a late 60's pop album........
(.........using my iPod - always getting typos so I'm constantly editing my posts......)

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 28 2014 at 20:30
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 20:32
I remember seeing that tour in New Orleans in '86 I think, and seeing RotAM live.....I don't think I moved during the whole song..I was blown away!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 20:36
Purchased a new phono preamp couple weeks ago, the Musical Surroundings Phonomena II. I have taken my analog rig up several notches. The reproduction is very impressive....will be spinning tons of vinyl this weekend!! Headbanger
Spin on my prog vinyl friends!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 21:02
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yep - awesome cover, awesome album. If Ancient Mariner isn't a full blown Prog epic, then ITCOTCK is a late 60's pop album........
(.........using my iPod - always getting typos so I'm constantly editing my posts......)

Yeah Tom. When I use the Pod I get major spelling errors. People by now, might think I may be slightly retarted.
. But seriously though, it's amazing the number of people that feel Maiden isn't progressive at all, where by they are just heavy metal...nothing more?! Ok. Now that is retarted.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 21:11
Maiden for sure has tons of progressive elements in a majority of their music......Old school prog/metal for sure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 21:20

Maiden for sure has tons of progressive elements in a majority of their music......Old school prog/metal for sure.

Personally I look at Maiden being vintage Prog metal and essential listening for that matter as well, especially if anyone wanted to seriously get into the genre itself. Man. I've actually had wars with some people on this.
Anyway Jose. You are right on the money. Enjoy your vinyl listening. What's next?
I'm guessing maybe some Marillion or Rush for you.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 21:23
^ Ha! Good guess.....just started this amazing album, I love the hardness of this return to glory for the boyz!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 21:29
^ well played.

I'd like to hear that remixed version. I'm sure it's better. Love to hear EARTHSHINE. That was my favorite track on the album when it was first released. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 312>