Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 21:56
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ You are still misunderstanding Sonia's observation. 

A 2nd party explanation is the issue, let her explain it then. Cause her only comment is that she feels that if digital is the base recording then the argument of what is better is futile in recent recordings.

If that is her belief then so be it....I have ZERO issue with that feeling. Seems everyone was so gung-ho to explaining what she was saying.....

"Yes I understand that, but if the initial studio recording is digital, in this case specific case Confused in terms of recent releases makes the argument of being best quite futile".

You might be right that I don't understand what she is saying, told by others...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:29
Aye, maybe you don't.
What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 16:28
Move on guys, this was a week ago, :D
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 17:52
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Move on guys, this was a week ago, :D

Agree....this is a music site not a gear/audio/analog/digital/CD/Vinyl site. There are plenty of sites to have that kind of conversation in.

Back to spinning the best music in the world......

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 17:57
...and this is still the Tech Talk lounge.

...and this is still a Progressive ROCK site and not a Modal JAZZ site.

...so stop trying to score pointless points.
What?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 17:59
Kind of blue... that's how I feel when I read this discussion Disapprove
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 18:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Kind of blue... that's how I feel when I read this discussion Disapprove

I know me too Cry.....although some are hilarious to read. I suppose our little warm group was doomed eventually on this site/thread. Was fun while it lasted.

I post a jazz album in here and on the generic what are u listening to now and I get slammed Confused Very weird. And yet 100's others post jazz too and they don't get slammed for that....Weird Confused

I will keep posting them though.....both here and there, but never on a prog specific thread.

Think I will give myself a useless point for that......LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 18:31
I am not slamming anyone for posting a JAZZ album here or anywhere. I am pointing out the irony and double-standards of your post that was (once again) designed to push me out of this thread. So stop your crocodile tears, they ain't fooling anyone.

I dislike being told what I can and cannot do and by the same virtue I dislike telling other people what they can and cannot do. You wanna post pictures of your JAZZ collection here then go ahead, but don't tell me that I have to go to another fu*king site to discuss the tech side of things that interest me. 

Ermm ... have I missed anything? oh, yeah, one of these: LOL

What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 22:21
You know what Dean, this will be the LAST time I reply to any of your posts, regardless if they are directed at me in reply, quote whatever it may be. And I don't mean that in a mean way, I am just tired of discussing it. I agreed with Angelo and made a comment not directed at anyone that this is a music site and not a gear site and there are plenty of those to have discussions about this whole analog/digital/format issue.
I never insinuated that YOU should go there and have those discussions, I have never told YOU what you can or cannot do, no idea where that is coming from Confused.

But yet you are fine in telling me to STOP trying to win some useless points and STOP crying crocodile tears....Are you kidding me and you call dbl standards??!!......I have never told anyone on this site to STOP doing anything.
I also do not need your blessing to post pics of my collection, I don't read anywhere on this site that I need your permission or approval. LOL
Please do whatever you want, go to whatever site you like or not, I have no desire to know what you do, that is your business. But if you want to tell us, that is fine also.

And BTW, Miles Davis has 2 albums in the Top Prog Albums list on the home page of this website. And the history of this site is if an artist has a prog album they are listed here, whether I agree with that or not is my business.

...Crocodile tears LOLLOL.....That's a good one
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 22:49
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

You know what Dean, this will be the LAST time I reply to any of your posts, regardless if they are directed at me in reply, quote whatever it may be. And I don't mean that in a mean way, I am just tired of discussing it. I agreed with Angelo and made a comment not directed at anyone that this is a music site and not a gear site and there are plenty of those to have discussions about this whole analog/digital/format issue.
I never insinuated that YOU should go there and have those discussions, I have never told YOU what you can or cannot do, no idea where that is coming from Confused.

But yet you are fine in telling me to STOP trying to win some useless points and STOP crying crocodile tears....Are you kidding me and you call dbl standards??!!......I have never told anyone on this site to STOP doing anything.
I also do not need your blessing to post pics of my collection, I don't read anywhere on this site that I need your permission or approval. LOL
Please do whatever you want, go to whatever site you like or not, I have no desire to know what you do, that is your business. But if you want to tell us, that is fine also.

And BTW, Miles Davis has 2 albums in the Top Prog Albums list on the home page of this website. And the history of this site is if an artist has a prog album they are listed here, whether I agree with that or not is my business.

...Crocodile tears LOLLOL.....That's a good one
All the best to you and your crocodile tears, Ermm seriously what you say is weird. All good tho' except for the part about Dean because he is beyond fab really, thus don't waste your breathe.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 00:07
You know José, I will continue to post responses whether you reply or not. If directing comments at no one in particular when I am the only person in this thread who bothers to discuss the technical side alleviates your conscience then that's fine by me. This wasn't the first time you have attempted to make me feel my technical posts are unwelcome in this thread. But remember, you mentioned ADC's in this particular line of discussion first, you also raised the subject of analogue "sound" and "live" recording, so if you don't like me responding in a technical way in a Tech Talk thread and find it all so tiring then bring the subject into the conversation isn't the best way of avoiding me responding. Because rest assured, if you are going to pontificate on such matters then I am pretty sure I will find something technical to say on the subject.

The sign on the door of the Tech Talk lounge says: "Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc." Those discussions should therefore be of a technical nature and frankly I fail to see what is so technical about propping an album sleeve up against a gramophone and taking a photograph of it. No one even bothers to state what f-stop and shutter speeds they used. The discussing of that album that then ensues doesn't look particularly technical either come to think of it. Quite why or how this thread got hijacked and turned into a "oh, look what I've got" thread that has no technical value or merit is a mystery to me. Why all this can't be done in one of the "what are you listening to?" threads in General Music Discussions is something else I'll probably never understand. If it really was "fun while it lasted" then perhaps Just For Fun would be more appropriate... [sorry, no "get out of jail free" emoticons this morning]

If you think that a Modal JAZZ album recorded in 1959 qualifies as a Progressive ROCK album then good luck to you. He is listed here under Jazz Rock/Fusion for being a key figure in the creation of that subgenre of music. I couldn't give a flying duck if the top ten was composed entirely of Miles Davies albums, we really ought to credit people with the intelligence to know a Prog ROCK album from a Modal JAZZ album and rate them according to the hints given in the star-rating list, but life isn't like that so we accept what we get. The fact remains, you can post a picture of a Modal JAZZ album in the same post as one that suggests there are other sites where people can have conversations in "gear/audio/analog/digital/CD/Vinyl" and that looks like double-standards to me, especially when that post is in a section of this music forum set aside specifically for technical discussions to "Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.".

Edited by Dean - April 16 2015 at 00:09
What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 00:25
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 01:08
Ladies and Gentleman, there's no harm in having a debate over this and that - yes, this IS a 'tech' thread, yes it IS regarding vinyl.
I have respect for all who even bother to contribute to this discussion, whether I agree or not, is irrelevant.
Now, all of us here respect vinyl.   That's it !! We all (well maybe not me
) but let's just go with the flow.
And Dean, if you don't dig Kajagoogoo, you're BANNED
At least you think highly of Dali's Car.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:00
Cool....

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 22:07
Also Saturday is 2015 Record Store Day, supporting your local record store.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:44

Cool....

Groovy CoolTongue

The only local store that's on the list was closed for good last year. I went there two years ago on RSD and they were closed, they probably thought nobody was coming. That's on them though, the store was terribly bad located Confused
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:05

Cool....

Groovy CoolTongue

LOLLOL

The only local store that's on the list was closed for good last year. I went there two years ago on RSD and they were closed, they probably thought nobody was coming. That's on them though, the store was terribly bad located Confused
That's too bad, I will think of you as I am shopping Big smile , doubt I buy anything though. Nothing on RSD releases interest me much...but you never know
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 13:21
^ One does not go to a record store and return empty-handed Big smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Ladies and Gentleman, there's no harm in having a debate over this and that - yes, this IS a 'tech' thread, yes it IS regarding vinyl.
I have respect for all who even bother to contribute to this discussion, whether I agree or not, is irrelevant.
Now, all of us here respect vinyl.   That's it !! We all (well maybe not me
) but let's just go with the flow.
And Dean, if you don't dig Kajagoogoo, you're BANNED
At least you think highly of Dali's Car.
Indeed, ditto, Tom Ozric, Smile
Group hug, you, Catcher10, Dean and I  SmileBig smile YAY BIG MASSIVE HUG Hug
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 14:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 312>