Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2015 at 14:19
^^ That's an hell of an album Thumbs Up

^ Brand new, it's a German reissue: http://www.discogs.com/Light-Year-Reveal-The-Fantastic/release/5313155
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2015 at 14:42
Cool!!

Working from home this week as my wife is recovering from surgery last week....So I am taking care of her, which I am honored to do!! She is the best thing that has ever happened in my life.....

Gives me a chance to listen to stuff while I work.......Right now spinning a big 10.5" reel-reel tape of vinyl I dubbed last summer. Just a mixture of Marillion and PT.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 14:56
^ I hope everything is fine Smile
Quality work with sound quality Big smile

I spun another of the lastest LP's, my first Krautrock album, Dom's Edge of Time. It sounds a bit simplistic, most of the time it only has organ and acoustic guitar, but it's perfect and highly psychedelic; the mood of the album reminds me of the second Floyd album. This is a reissue with bonus tracks on side 3: it's my first album with uneven number of sides, although side 4 doesn't have any fancy picture Tongue

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 17:44
Ohhh......I saw that at a record store in Seattle called Wall of Sound. They have stuff in there I have never heard of, almost all of it is noise, doom, dark eclectic/avant garde vinyl. I will have to dip my toe in some of that stuff one day. The owner was very open to having a listening session to introduce me to that style.

He also had a nice analog system in the store.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 07:07
DOM - Edge Of Time !!!!
This album is really special to me. It almosts out-Floyds Floyd. I lap up every second of this wonderful album. I have no hesitation awarding it the full score .
Happy listening, Meltdowner !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 07:24
^^ Cool! I bet I could spend a whole day flipping record on that store Tongue Sometimes I'm glad there are no record stores around here LOL
The guy that sold me this one had a great selection of Krautrock, including many Can and Popol Vuh albums, but I figured this one was not as easy to find Smile

^ You're right Tom, amazing album! Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 00:16
^ I usually spin the Dom album late at night with the lights out, at a medium-low volume. Always blows me away, especially with that reedy Farfisa organ sound, could almost be dear Rick Wright, circa '69. And there's also the avante experimental psychedelic spacey sections that recall Saucerful Floyd. It's just one of those rare 'lost classics' that deserves its mystique.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 06:35
Hi guys

I moved this to general music discussions seeing as the thread doesn't concern itself with the technical aspect of vinyls, but more has to do with the music found on vinyl. I've made it into a sticky thread though, so it won't disappear if there suddenly pops up 50 Madonna pollsSmile

Oh and I'm spinning my vinyl version of Embryo's Opal - damn it is one smoking albumBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 07:20
^^ That's exactly how I listened to it Smile I couldn't agree more with your description

^ Thanks David, this thread wasn't technical right from the first post.
I was precisely looking into Embryo yesterday, I'll have to give them a listen Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 09:41

LOLLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 14:34
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 07:00
Can't to wrong with Embryo. Opal is just glowingly great......::.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 11:07

One of the best interactive album covers ever.........

Edited by Catcher10 - May 22 2015 at 11:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 18:10
^^ I heard a couple of tracks and it sounds great Thumbs Up By the way, I finished listening to Heldon's discography the other day and their music is really incredible Clap

^ The cover seems more interesting than the music to me Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 21:35
^ I'm still missing Allez Teia (however that's spelt) but hav the others.
It's Always Rock And Roll is a bit of a slog, but has some great stuff on it, the rest are all very impressive.
I love the St. Cleve Chronicle, love the album too.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 23:32
Certainly not prog, but classic American pop/rock. Surprisingly I have always enjoyed listening to the Eagles, great music and musicians.
But more than that some of my best sounding vinyl for original issues....the dual acoustic guitars on the opening part is just analog goodness!! Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 06:36
^^ 'Allez Teia' is a nice album, it's seems like side A is from a King Crimson album and side B from Tangerine Dream Tongue
I just noticed I skipped 'Un Rêve Sans Conséquence Spéciale'. I'll give it a listen later.

^ My problem with the album is that it starts with such a great track and the others are far from being as good as that one Ermm
I played this one a lot though:

One of the records in best condition in my father's collection: for someone who insisted that I should take good care of my stuff during my childhood, he sure wasn't a good example LOL Most of my collection is sleeved though Smile

Last thursday I had to wait an hour in the city to have dinner with some friends, and decided to spend it flipping records on a local store. I found this really nice debut album:

It's a German pressing that has really good quality, a very powerful sound. I always thought it has great bass work and it sounds incredible here. One thing I found curious is the 6 minute track on side D that fills the entire side, I can almost count the number of grooves and it's the track with best sound quality Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 07:46
^ Indeed, indeed and indeed.
Spock's debut is a goodie - and the last track is amazing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 18:21
Yup I think that is an InsideOut Music release, I have all three SB albums on vinyl and that one is the best sounding. Agree it is big powerful sound much bigger than the CD version, and a better sound too.

Most I have that is German pressed is very good if not excellent.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 07:08
^ Yes, that's the label and it clearly is a German pressing. So you have this one and V, what's the other? Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 312>