Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:39
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 01:11
^
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 05:20
^^ I really wanted to do a Yes marathon, but I have my Yes albums on vinyl and my turntable isn't working now Ouch
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:31
Last week I was in California with my son at a lacrosse camp, on the way home I listened to a few Yes albums.......Then yesterday hearing the news.

Will be doing a Yes vinyl session in the coming days.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:40
^ Did you visit those record stores? Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:00
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Did you visit those record stores? Smile

Sadly I only hit one on Sunday.......Record Surplus. Was simply too busy to make room for others, and since it was Father's Day I had to go to one.

I did find 3 records (will post pics later).

Genesis-Abacab
Genesis-Invisible Touch
Nektar-Time Machine

Nektar was wrapped new on the Purple Pyramid Records label. The Genesis albums are VG+, excellent condition and help finish out my Genesis vinyl collection, plus they were priced really well at like US7.00 and Nektar was at USD12.00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:12
I never heard that Nektar album, let me know how it is Smile
You just described the 1 PA star about those Genesis albums, "for completionists" LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:35
^ I love all Genesis, they are my #2 band all time. That era is where they made their money, and they deserve it. Just like PG made his money with So...He deserved to make money so yea maybe more pop oriented rock but I don't care, it's great music.

Being prog did not pay the bills......LOL

I may listen to Nektar tonight, I have the digital download version.....for sure the vinyl version will sound better Clap. The band have said it is their better album, lyric wise not, music yes...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:49
I was never able to like their 80's music, not even when a few months ago I saw a Genesis and PG tribute band that only played their 80's stuff: it was painful but not as painful as when the band arrogantly said the best thing PG did was leaving Genesis (which is stupid since they were linking both on their show)... that's when I left Dead

Nektar's music has lyrics? I never noticed... CoolTongue
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 22:28
Beware of some new vinyl pressings, they are cut from CD masters and are not genuine vinyl masters - it's like in the early CD days when they used vinyl masters to make CD's, only now it's the other way around.
lostrom
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 22:43

So this is my new favorite Nektar album, the band is right, somewhat, on the lyrics....Not so much the content as the delivery. Its not bad but you can tell they are long in the tooth Big smile. For an older band its really not bad...On the other hand the music is brilliant! I agree that it is some of their best work, next to RtF, it's very tight playing with a super nice flow.
What I did not realize until reading the liner notes is Billy Sherwood plays bass on this album, he also engineered and helped mix the album. Which by the way is fantastic on vinyl....
Side 1 is about 28min long with maybe 6mm leadout space, Side 2 is about 27min.....The low end does not suffer at all, and I have the digital version, supposedly nothing is lacking on digital, but the vinyl version is as good if not better sounding, no sibilance at all that close to the end. Bass guitar, kick bass and synth/organ sounds are nice and deep, full sounding mix too.

There are some nods to RtF in the songs Tranquility and Diamond Eyes, along with Juggernaut make up two of the bright spots on the album. Diamond Eyes is the longest track at 10min+ complete with hammond organ....

I like it very much.....Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 23:19

One of my other finds, yes this helps complete my Genesis vinyl catalog. The main reason I bought this one is that it is a Charisma label issue (CBR-102), not a US Atlantic label issue, also has the embossed cover and Brown, Yellow, Pink, Blue color scheme. The US version is Yellow, Red, Grey, Green.....picky I know, but hey it's my vinyl collection!!! LOL.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 02:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So this is my new favorite Nektar album, the band is right, somewhat, on the lyrics....Not so much the content as the delivery. Its not bad but you can tell they are long in the tooth Big smile. For an older band its really not bad...On the other hand the music is brilliant! I agree that it is some of their best work, next to RtF, it's very tight playing with a super nice flow.
What I did not realize until reading the liner notes is Billy Sherwood plays bass on this album, he also engineered and helped mix the album. Which by the way is fantastic on vinyl....
Side 1 is about 28min long with maybe 6mm leadout space, Side 2 is about 27min.....The low end does not suffer at all, and I have the digital version, supposedly nothing is lacking on digital, but the vinyl version is as good if not better sounding, no sibilance at all that close to the end. Bass guitar, kick bass and synth/organ sounds are nice and deep, full sounding mix too.

There are some nods to RtF in the songs Tranquility and Diamond Eyes, along with Juggernaut make up two of the bright spots on the album. Diamond Eyes is the longest track at 10min+ complete with hammond organ....

I like it very much.....Clap
Yay Jose    
Great album indeed, especially since they (allegedly) left off some of the 'weaker' tunes for the vinyl issue. Nothing wrong here, as far as I'm concerned - superb album. Pretty much faultless, for me, although I don't think much of that lyric " One day, you may find, life's not, what you had in mind "...... Sounds a bit nasty to me......But they're only lyrics......
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 02:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

One of my other finds, yes this helps complete my Genesis vinyl catalog. The main reason I bought this one is that it is a Charisma label issue (CBR-102), not a US Atlantic label issue, also has the embossed cover and Brown, Yellow, Pink, Blue color scheme. The US version is Yellow, Red, Grey, Green.....picky I know, but hey it's my vinyl collection!!! LOL.

Blue, Orange, Green and Red is my Japanese press colour configuration. Embossed as well.
It is a good album (3 stars). But this is Genesis, and regardless of one-eyed Prog fetishism, it is a good album. Early 'cross-over' is an apt description, but cross-over of what ?? I'm starting to be part of the anti-label crowd......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 13:19
Tom Ozric-The Anti-Label Guy.........LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 14:27
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Great album indeed, especially since they (allegedly) left off some of the 'weaker' tunes for the vinyl issue.
Another reason to prefer vinyl LOL
Good to know it's a decent album, the reviewers didn't seem very optimistic about it... they probably listened to the full CD version Tongue

Edited by Meltdowner - June 30 2015 at 14:27
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:50
A great website I have been visiting past few months, started earlier this year, just realized I never mentioned it here....my bad vinyl buddies!!

Excellent information on labels, cleaning and he just posted his JTull-Aqualung vinyl shoot out.....You can read the results, no spoiler here LOL.

I really enjoy this site for all things vinyl records.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 16:27
^ Great website, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
I can't believe I read the entire article, I only listened to this album once LOL Curiously, I saw a quite cheap copy of Wilson's remix the other day, good to know it's a very decent one... I might return to buy it Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 16:44
I'm going looking for Aqualung tomorrow....I was not going to buy the Super box edition just for the vinyl.....I also understand TAAB is going to be released too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 17:49
^ Yes, the TAAB reissue was released last week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 312>