Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 17:33
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I went to Record Store Day, it was my first so I didn't know what to expect. I went to Vintage Vinyl thirty minutes before it opened and the line went all the way around to the back! Definitely going a couple hours earlier next year. After three hours of waiting in line, I picked up the 50 minute version of The Flaming Lips' "7 Skies H3", on beautiful clear(ish) vinyl, which was my biggest priority, Joy Divisions' "An Ideal for Living", Nirvana's "Pennyroyal Tea" single, and two Yes albums while I was waiting in line (which went throughout the store). All and all it was 71 bucks, almost all of the allowance I had saved up for the past four months, but definitely worth the wait and cash, although I unfortunately missed out on Devo's "Live at Max's Kansas City: November 15, 1977".

The jury is still out on 7 Skies H3, found the last 3 FL albums way too much treble and tinny sounding. Why do bands endorse that as part of their overall sound? Mercury Rev did it on Secret Migration too. Maybe the vinyl versions are better, less compressed.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 17:47
I think their last 3 have pretty solid production and sound
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 00:59
http://www.vox.com/2014/4/19/5626058/vinyls-great-but-its-not-better-than-cds

thoughts?
I can't say I'm surprised... vinyl for me is as much a visual experience as it is a sonic one, but I never truly thought it was better sounding than a good digital version.
There be dragons
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 01:30
Always thought CDs sounded better but I find listening to vinyl more fun in a way
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 03:39
Well for me I go back to the studio. Digital is a better way to capture the recording because it is easier process and quicker. That being said I really do not like the digital file. It should be so much better than it is, but it simply is not for music.

A very well made CD from start to finish is hard to beat, there are so few of them around though. Go up a few levels to 24/96 or now DSD and yeah its pretty damn sweet. But just like people complain about the cost of an analog rig (I don't understand why), the cost of a high end digital system that can play DSD files up to DSD128 is mucho dinero! They sound brilliant on the right system, this stuff is not for a laptop or $100 speakers.
The other problem with DSD/SACD is the unavailability of a selection..unless you are heavy into jazz, classical, pop and female vocals, and forget about prog.

At 50yrs old now, I have experience in all formats and have had systems that play all, except SACD/DSD, I can play hi-rez digital files. But again due to selection, I doubt I will go that route.

I can't explain the analog/vinyl pleasure, with the system I have been building, nothing gives me the sonic pleasure that my analog rig does.

Maybe one day the music industry will figure out how to make CD's sound better than they do so articles like that don't need to be written.

Or better yet the title might be "CDs are 100% better than vinyl" Although I doubt that will ever be the case. As the article starts "Vinyls great....." nuff said
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 06:00
To get the best comparison of analogue versus vinyl I recommend comparing classical releases.

Unlike pop music this stuff is recorded with the idea of a full enriching musical experience rather than be loud, sell more idea. Plus they have a lot of instruments to record so the recording and mastering is done carefully. There is a greater sonic range with a full orchestra so the bass distortion ("warmth") is clear and you hear the instrument rather than a third party version of the sound.

Incidentally this is also the reason why guitar sounds and solos changed over recent years in metal. Loud but low pitched distorted sounds impact pleasurably on a brain especially one that has been, er, chemically informed. Screaming leads have a different effect (in case anyoine ever wondered the real reason behind Metallica's 90s "ideas")

Recently bought some old recordings (Barenboim conducting LvB's 7 and 8th symphonies in DVD-A and they sound absolutely great. The sound is clear, the mix top notch, the stereo picture is just right. I compare an SACD of L v B's Eroica and it tops the 16 bit CD but admittedly, only if you are being careful with the listening. For the most part a good classical release is fine on the improved format and the newer recordings I find are very good indeed. They sound great full blast as well.

That said there are still highly dodgy classical releases (recorded from Lps, dust covered stylii, bad tape transfers) so watch out for apparent bargains they may actually be garbage.

The old classical vinyl sounds good (I've Tchiavovky's 5th which is a thoroughly enjoyable LP but the SACD and DVDs are heaven.

So the comparison of recordings is complex. It seems most people find comparing vinyl to listening to stuff on a PC to be better. What a surprise. Compare the CD to the vinyl then we might be comparing apples to apples. Some 192kbps mp3 is never going to sound good. Even the best are only a fifth of the wav file which still does not sound good being pushed through non hi fi media such as a computer.

Computers have their value but as hi fi media, no. Players, yes. Ways of being able to make a decision like valuing  records over new media, not good. Use a stereo, doesn't have to be hi-end, in fact anything reasonable from the past 30 years (post hideous '70s quality) should be okay. Mine's only medium level a 5.1 amp and universal (DVD / SACD 2.0) player, a cheap 5.1 DVD player and 2012 speakers that are fine for my humble quarters but not for the bigger rooms.

Oh when loking for the audio quality records are the LPs digitally remastered versus non-remastered? Don't forget the tape generation that LPs are based upon, unlike common source digital files new releases and re-masters have. For Lps do look for tags such as half speed mastered. (Steely Dan Aja, Gaucho spring to mind). Don't take things at a surface level.

Cassettes are popular now? Oh dear. Bring back the 5.1 wax cylinder why don't we? This really says more about the dodgy hardware choices people use to listen to music on as they play on line video games.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky_Hawkwindage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:10
It's hard to explain,but to me a good playing vinyl LP just sounds better than a CD,even though all science says the CD is a better product.A vinyl record has a richer,warmer sound,its just hard to explain,either you like it or you don't.Sometimes to me a CD sounds too "clean".Am i making sense?Probaly not....But for me vinyl is best for my ears most of the time.I have seen the exception & the best example i can give is the remastered CD version of Black Sabbath Born Again is a definite improvement over the original LP.Not saying anyone is right or wrong.What works for one music lover may not work for another.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 08:21
It is very easy to explain, it is just very difficult for many fans of analogue (not just LP but tape too) to accept the explanation.

I have explained it in the past but received so much grief and abuse from audiophilists and vinyl junkies that I really cannot be bothered any more. If you like what you hear then that's fine by me.
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 08:36
Well I am in the processes of enjoying the Genesis 70-75 boxset and the DVD blow away the vinyls and CDs I have and/or have had. There is an extra level of clarity to the content. 

I am still in mourning for all the albums that were ruined by the flood or 2009.  There are plenty of LP records that I would to give good homes to for the right price.  I'd typically make dbx cassette copies and listen to those rather than the record so it would be safe from dust and needle damage.  Alas all the cassettes were ruined by the flood as well.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:07
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It is very easy to explain, it is just very difficult for many fans of analogue (not just LP but tape too) to accept the explanation.

I have explained it in the past but received so much grief and abuse from audiophilists and vinyl junkies that I really cannot be bothered any more. If you like what you hear then that's fine by me.

Yes most of the technical answers are in this thread.

One thing. A lot of vinyl junkies have a lot of time and money invested in audiophilia - 10s of 1000s of LPs collected over 50 years or so.... And to find out that they are all sonically redundant gets the defensive mode up. Wilful denial, there's psychological factors as well...

I am so glad I junked my LPs. I've a few but a non remastered CD and the vinyl sound the same (using BOC's OYFOYYK as a side by side comparison.

Oh and Born Again had a horrible post production mastering and would have sounded awful no matter what. Nothing to do with format. IG threw his in the rubbish. Or a swimming pool. Along with the car thta was still there.

;)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky_Hawkwindage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:10
I guess i'm better off being a vinyl junkie than a heroin junkie-or am i?
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 17:07
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

I guess i'm better off being a vinyl junkie than a heroin junkie-or am i?
If you asking whether you would be financially better off, I haven't a clue, but given the destitute state of most heroin addicts compared to the amount of cash needed to sustain a moderate vinyl habit, I'd take a wild guess and say the later is the more costly.

Besides, heroin junkies generally don't advertise the fact on a t-shirt.

What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 17:12
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Yes most of the technical answers are in this thread. One thing. A lot of vinyl junkies have a lot of time and money invested in audiophilia - 10s of 1000s of LPs collected over 50 years or so.... And to find out that they are all sonically redundant gets the defensive mode up. Wilful denial, there's psychological factors as well...I am so glad I junked my LPs. I've a few but a non remastered CD and the vinyl sound the same (using BOC's OYFOYYK as a side by side comparison.Oh and Born Again had a horrible post production mastering and would have sounded awful no matter what. Nothing to do with format. IG threw his in the rubbish. Or a swimming pool. Along with the car thta was still there.;)

Wow...did not realize I had psychological issues I suppose same can be said of digital junkies

Enjoy the music!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 17:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky_Hawkwindage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 17:28
I know i'm a psych case,but we can discuss that over coffee or tea.But i find it hard to believe i actually offend some people on here because i prefer to listen to vinyl over another type of media.If you say i'm being on the defensive then it's ok with me.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 17:50
I find it hard to believe that anyone is actually offended by anything they read on an internet forum, least of all your personal preferences.

Edited by Dean - April 27 2014 at 17:50
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky_Hawkwindage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 17:59
[LOL I have some good laughs on here....
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yes most of the technical answers are in this thread. One thing. A lot of vinyl junkies have a lot of time and money invested in audiophilia - 10s of 1000s of LPs collected over 50 years or so.... And to find out that they are all sonically redundant gets the defensive mode up. Wilful denial, there's psychological factors as well...I am so glad I junked my LPs. I've a few but a non remastered CD and the vinyl sound the same (using BOC's OYFOYYK as a side by side comparison.Oh and Born Again had a horrible post production mastering and would have sounded awful no matter what. Nothing to do with format. IG threw his in the rubbish. Or a swimming pool. Along with the car thta was still there.;)

Wow...did not realize I had psychological issues I suppose same can be said of digital junkies

Enjoy the music!

No offence meant. We are into prog rock and the question of psych problems would have them reinventing the whole subject. (I've done psych paper and have a fair idea of those implications.) The type of psychological attibute for say, vinyl prefence is a thing called "group think". IMHO naturally.

What I wanted to ensure was a consistency of understanding values. Why someone prefers vinyl over a CD or DVD or Blu Ray is up them; that is the media. But the underlying mastering, tapes, digital transfers old LP varying pressing quality) is wildly inconsistent in pop and rock. Evidence - the discussion debate and diatribes alone means something is wrong somewhere over the rainbow. There's more, such as the varying out puts over the years...

The psych bit - if someone has beer crate loads of LPs lovingly worn out over the decades and now finds they are not "as good" as CDs; well he may feel a tad peeved at the implications. I know I would.

So there is a lot involved in this business. Loudness wars - where sounds are boosted - because the most popular listening medium is the mp3 - and  - how about this for a thought. Your digitally remastered analogue LP was mastered for mp3 listening... bad enough when that happens on 16 bit CDs...

An example of inconsistency.. Tull's SFTW. The LP was fine. The initial CD transfer sounded, for want of a better term - sticky. It was a horrible listen. Not the fault of the CD (that's blaming the messenger) but the tape transfer. So the public feel conned. I know I did. But I got the Japanese rema$ter and that sounds just fine. Multiply that by 10,000s of recordings and the industry has a big problem. Public perception and trust abuse.

A record should sound as good as it's production allows (usually budget and equipment dependent). Hello Genesis.

The big test... how would anyone as an objective and experienced critical listener recommend something to someone if they trustingly asked you whether vinyl, CD, DVD, Blu Ray, mp3... (cassette???... omfg....)... is the best format for their outlay?

I'm sure we can make our own decisions with all our varying data inputs and prejudices built up over many years ('Won't Back Down' - Tom Petty now playing in background) - but how does that communicate to someone taking your recommendation. (I don't mean catcher10 but everyone. We are very inclusive. ;)

ciao for now...

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 19:35
^^^ from the above comments.

It's great to experience and experiment sonically the best of both worlds (Analogue or Digital) with quality audio equipment to boot. I find each have their own unique and defining characteristics. Right now I'm kind of enjoying the best of both worlds through the use of a DAC. These things are great. I get the cleaness of digital while getting that extra warmth of analog, which is greatly exposed by the punchy bass that is so intimate and vibrant that you just don't get with digital. I'm getting it all and best of all my DAC is an amp as well and helps give me some extra Juice to power my Sennheiser HD 800's. it's amazing. Glad to get a good taste of both worlds. One is really not better than the other. Just different, but that largely will depend on what audio equipment you are using. It's important to get the goods!!!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 19:56

No offence meant. We are into prog rock and the question of psych problems would have them reinventing the whole subject. (I've done psych paper and have a fair idea of those implications.) The type of psychological attibute for say, vinyl prefence is a thing called "group think". IMHO naturally.

It is very difficult to use the phrase "psych problems" without offending someone, the inference being that it is some kind of disorder or psychiatric condition. These are not "psych problems" when what you are referring to is a natural and perfectly normal psychological effects. In comparisons between two recording media (regardless of what those two formats are) we are concerned with two areas of psychological study. 

The first relates to the effects of listening to music and the associated cognitive perceptions, this is the very normal and very natural consequence of how our brains process auditory information and is both psychological and physiological. The study of this is called psychoacoustics and is the science behind equalisation and compression, why some distortion sounds good while some sounds bad and how we locate sounds on a sound stage, and it gives us the means to produce lossy audio file compression. A lot of this is objective and empirical - we can predict, observe and measure these psychoacoustic phenomena, for example, we can plot an equal loudness contour for human hearing.

The second is concerned with how we interpret what we hear based upon understanding, preconception and expectation, and that is pure psychology. Again it is not a disorder or psychiatric condition, it is perfectly natural consequence of being human - the "psych problem" would be when someone is not naturally susceptible to these psychological effects. Music appreciation is an entirely psychological phenomenon after all, if it wasn't we wouldn't be listening to music for pleasure and we wouldn't have favourites. Most of this is purely subjective and non-empirical, but it can be predicted and observed. 

I disagree that a preference for vinyl is a groupthink phenomenon, the evidence for such a claim would be difficult to find and harder to prove. People generally don't prefer LP records over CD because they want to conform to what all other audiophilists are saying, they prefer LP records because they prefer what they hear. Similarly people who prefer CD over LP records don't do so because they want to conform with what the "digital junkies" are saying, they prefer CD because they like what they hear. Where groupthink comes into play is not in the perception of what they hear but in how they react to dissent, and especially to anyone with opposing views that threatens any preconceptions they may have. 

Of course some degree of confirmation bias is involved, such as when comparing regular hi-fi standard RCA phono leads with expensive audiophile level ones where the actual audible difference is non-existent. But I believe that this is a lesser effect when comparing LP records to CD, here there can be an identifiable audible difference so confirmation bias is not concerned with confirming that there is a difference, but that the difference in the preferred medium is [objectively] better (and thus confirms the preconception that it should be better).

I should stress at this point that the audible difference between LP record and vinyl is predictable, explainable and empirically measurable. As the Vox article that Ori linked to earlier said "They sound different, and that's exactly the point.", but (and it's a big butt) often the difference isn't worth arguing over.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 312>