Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 05:16
I'm a proud owner of that Can reissue. I should give it yet another listen Wink

It's been a while since I posted here, so I'm sorry for the long post Tongue

Another great album from Black Mountain. I love this cover too Cool

I finally bought this Yes classic album Thumbs Up

I also have my double LP with coaster now Tongue Great album with great sound quality, like The Light.

A favourite from 2014 that I only bought now. It's a fantastic modern Krautrock album Thumbs Up

A new Spanish electronic solo project that reminds of Neuronium's 80's output, being also uneven but it has a nice homemade feeling to it Tongue

My favourite Portuguese album of 2016, so far. It has a great sunny vibe with plenty of Krautrock influences (Ashra or Harmonia come to mind) and a modern electronic approach Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:46
^ Nice ones Sam.......Never heard of some. Been on a krautrock kick lately so maybe some of those I will like.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:53
^ You might like Hedersleben, it's quite accessible and reminds me of Can, Popol Vuh, Neu. Also, their label is American so you can probably get it much cheaper than I did.
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 11:33
Just discovered this excellent 1971 psych-folk LP. Not from San Francisco, but a very strong Jefferson Airplane/It's a Beautiful Day vibe, with male/female co-lead vocals and violin.

Colored vinyl reissue of one of the first albums I ever owned:

New Knifeworld!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 12:13
^ I'm listening to String Cheese right now, it sounds quite good Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 15:25
^^ I like String Cheese....its a healthy snack
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 15:40

Got a really nice clean original copy with all the inserts for only $5.....been listening to old Elton recently....Your Song, Tumbleweed, Madman, Don't Shoot Me, Honky Chateau....
Smile

Also found an original of this one.....$20

Edited by dr wu23 - May 02 2016 at 15:42
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 16:52
Been waiting for the pre-order on this new Clapton album........here are some details on the recording of this new vinyl. I'm in for this, Clapton has always been in my wheelhouse for great music by a timeless artist.

Eric Clapton I Still Do on 180g 45RPM 2LP

Eric Clapton Reunites With Slowhand Producer Glyn Johns on I Still Do: Audiophile 45RPM 2LP Pressing Captured on Two-Inch Analog Tape, Mastered by Bob Ludwig, and Cut by Bernie Grundman

Forty years after they collaborated on SlowhandEric Clapton and producer Glyn Johns (who has also produced albums for the Eagles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and the Who) reunite on the guitarist’s 23rd studio album. Graced with a smart mixture of originals and covers—including Dylan’s “I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine"—I Still Do resonates with signature tones, heartfelt vocals, and deep-seated details on this 45RPM analog pressing. Recorded on a 16-track machine on two-inch analog tape, then mixed down to 1/4-inch tape, I Still Do is an instant audiophile favorite. Everything is captured in stellar analog while the two of the industry’s leading engineers—Bob Ludwig and Bernie Grundman—handled the mastering and cutting, respectively. That Warner Bros.' 45RPM 2LP set is priced affordably puts this astonishing release over the top, and then some.

"This was a long and overdue opportunity to work with Glyn Johns again, and also, incidentally, the fortieth anniversary ofSlowhand," says Eric Clapton. The album's artwork – a carefully crafted illustration of Clapton – is the work of esteemed artist Sir Peter Blake, whose previous art includes the co-design of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Bandalbum sleeve as well as the Band Aid single "Do They Know It's Christmas?," Paul Weller's Stanley Road, and The Who'sFace Dances. I Still Do features Blake's signature at the bottom right corner of the cover.

“I’ve had the pleasure of working with Glyn on quite a few projects. He has always been one of my idols and he has always been a musician first and then an engineer. Glyn has never been one to foolishly chase after the ‘loudness wars’ as most engineers and A&R people do. If he mixes a song to tape and it sounds exactly as he wishes, why squash the musical transients with needless level? When I hear that Glyn is booked for a session, I know I'm going to hear an artist doing superb performances and engineering that sounds like real people in real environments. Eric's record is just stunning.”
—Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering Studios

“I feel fortunate that I was able to work with Glyn Johns on the vinyl disc cutting for Eric Clapton’s album. The mixing that Glyn did was so good that the masters were cut direct from our custom tape electronics to the cutting system with only a few minor adjustments. It doesn’t get any cleaner than that -  a really terrific, natural, and realistic sound.”
—Bernie Grundman, Bernie Grundman Mastering

Musicians:
Eric Clapton: Guitars, Tambourine & Vocals
Henry Spinetti: Drums & Percussion
Dave Bronze: Double Bass & Electric Bass
Andy Fairweather Low: Electric & Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals
Paul Carrack: Hammond Organ & Backing Vocals
Chris Stainton: Keyboards
Simon Climie: Keyboards, Electric & Acoustic Guitar
Dirk Powell – Accordion, Mandolin & Backing Vocals
Walt Richmond – Keyboards
Ethan Johns – Percussion
Michelle John – Background Vocals
Sharon White – Background Vocals
Angelo Mysterioso - Acoustic Guitar & Vocals on "I Will Be There"

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 17:07
I didn't listen to any of it but I'm drooling already
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 17:09
^ LOL.......it comes out May 20th. Recorded on 2" tape with 16 track machine, that says enough. But to have Ludwig and Grundman do the mastering and cutting!! That's like an analog smorgasbord LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - May 02 2016 at 17:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 17:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Angelo Mysterioso - Acoustic Guitar & Vocals on "I Will Be There"

Oh really?

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:39
Hmmm.....the last 'Clapton' album I purchased was Derek and The Dominoes......Embarrassed
I have to be honest and say I've never really warmed up to his solo things over the years.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 13:07
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hmmm.....the last 'Clapton' album I purchased was Derek and The Dominoes......Embarrassed
I have to be honest and say I've never really warmed up to his solo things over the years.

I'm a blues fan so that helps....I think his guitar playing is pretty special.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 13:46
Michael Fremer showing an insane record collection from a collector in Bulgaria. It never ends, I would love to get my hands on some of those reel-reel tapes.
And of course the sound system is crazy nice......All this in a 7th floor apartment too.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 14:05
^ I think I would go crazy with so many records to choose from LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 14:54
Found this by accident.....interesting 4 part mini tour of record shops in Southern California.......

Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 15:04
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I think I would go crazy with so many records to choose from LOL

It's actually true......when my collection was close to 800-900 I found it daunting task to play something, you always go back to your favs. Some of the obscure albums get played on occasion, when in that obscure moment. The impulse vinyl buys.."just because I want it.." generally for me did not get spun much. And then you really need to have a love for about 3-4 different genres of music.

After losing quite a few boxes of vinyl in several house moves, I do find that my 450 album collection is a good number. When I think hard about it, I might play on regular rotation 50% of that. This does not mean I will stop buying vinyl, it only means that I am more picky about what I buy.....I mean I don't need 4 copies of CTTE or 3 copies of Miles Davis Kind of Blue. As long as I have a good clean copy I am happy, nothing like a sh*tty vinyl to mess up your stylus Thumbs Down.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 15:05

I'm a blues fan as well. These are some Clapton blues CDs that I've picked up...

From The Cradle
Blues  (studio CD & live CD)
Riding With The King  (with B. B. King)
Sessions For Robert J  (CD & DVD)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 16:10

Superb guitar player but his solo things never did much for me.....really like his early work with Mayall, Cream, Blindfaith, and Duane Allman...., beyond that the songs he has done just don't grab me though his playing is always top notch.
I would have liked to see him have gone into another group situation after Derek and The Domninoes....imho he works better with an ensemble team.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 16:41
^Agreed--he's a great guitarist but no great shakes as a bandleader or singer. In Cream it was Jack Bruce and in Blind Faith it was Steve Winwood who were the main songwriters and the killer vocalists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 312>