Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 09:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

So I will not go into too much depth on the new Led Zeppelin remasters. I purchased the LZ I Super Deluxe Box Set as I wanted the 70 page booklet, not sure if I will do the same for the other issues.
All my LZ is old, been played a gazillion times and simply just worn out, they are old! This new remaster is just killer! The sound is so clean, out front and the detail of instruments is crystal, pin pointable on each song. I have always preferred side II of this album and I love it even more now.
The bass lines are simply sick, the kick drums too and Jimmy Page's playing never sounded so good.....
Absolutely recommended if you enjoy LZ and want to hear them in all their glory. 

I don't enjoy led Zepplin music very much, but I do love their drummer. Anyhow, I am happy for you and your purchase. It looks great. Also Jose, I think it may be time to dust off those AKG's and run them through your warm tube amp to blast off into musical immersion. :)

Your funny dude!! 
What I love about early LZ is the hard edged blues they play, with a splash of hard rock......Reading some of the commentary in the accompanied book, Page mentions over and over the blues, the blues.......
I always felt Led Zeppelin was a blues band with severe attitude....

Ramble on and Bonzo's Montreux have always sat well with me. They have their moments and I respect them, but don't love them.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 11:33
Another news pc on vinyl and the gaining popularity of it...

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/vinyls-resurrection-sales-at-a-record-high/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 21:45
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 21:51
^ I haven't listened to the 'original mix' for many years (I have a taping of it somewhere) - this new '2013 remix' sounds decent - curious as to the differences between the two.......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 22:12
I don't have the original mix...but this new remix is pretty darn good. Side II is incredible with These Chains and Born To Run. The bass is amazing, the instruments are clear and pin pointable in the sound stage, the acoustics of Born To Run are super nice.

As usual H's vocals are superb....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 22:22
^ I might just have to give this album a spin this afternoon.......you've inspired me, Jose .
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 22:33
Glad to be of service!
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 22:45
I hate to be 'a stick in the mud' but Radiation has to be counted as one of Marillion's weakest efforts. Now granted, it's been quite some time since I've listened to it, but I don't remember it being particularly noteworthy compared to say its predecessor This Strange Engine, which I enjoyed.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 23:17
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I hate to be 'a stick in the mud' but Radiation has to be counted as one of Marillion's weakest efforts. Now granted, it's been quite some time since I've listened to it, but I don't remember it being particularly noteworthy compared to say its predecessor This Strange Engine, which I enjoyed.

I gotta agree. You got no dispute from me here.   
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 00:58
^ I'd say that Radiation has its own identity. No, it's nowhere near as good as Strange Engine, but it's something different, not much Prog on offer, but perhaps an undemanding listen. I think such tracks as Under The Sun, Now She'll Never Know, Cathedral Walls, and A Few Words For The Dead are still quality Marillion. Not their best, but not their worst in my books either.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 16:59
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I'd say that Radiation has its own identity. No, it's nowhere near as good as Strange Engine, but it's something different, not much Prog on offer, but perhaps an undemanding listen. I think such tracks as Under The Sun, Now She'll Never Know, Cathedral Walls, and A Few Words For The Dead are still quality Marillion. Not their best, but not their worst in my books either.

I agree....there are some good tracks on Radiation. It may not be viewed to positively on this site, but for a Marillion fan I do like it.

Its good enough for me
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 21:39

I agree....there are some good tracks on Radiation. It may not be viewed to positively on this site, but for a Marillion fan I do like it.

Its good enough for me

Yeah Jośe and Tom. I think you are both entirely accurate in what you are saying, but by Marillion standards in relation to their extensive body of work I'd say Radiation is way way down the list. Not a a terrible or unlistenable album by any means, but just not as good as other Hogarth Gems like Brave, Marbles and the incredible debut Seasons End.

Also. Meant to ask you both actually. Do you guys like ELOY? I just love their new live album, Reincarnation Live on Stage. If you both liked Pendragon's: Out Of Order comes Chaos you are gonna really dig this one. It's gotten no attention here on PA just yet.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 23:31
I have one Eloy album, not sure which it is have to find it...Thanks for the plug, something to go look for now!

Don't get me wrong, Radiation is nowhere in the league of the ones you mention.
But if I don't compare to those, its a decent release with enough good songs for me to enjoy it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 23:36
Another vinyl gem to discuss....This one always amazes me at how good it sounds even today. The clarity and placement of instruments within the soundstage is excellent.
The rhythm guitar on side I is fantastic and the cymbal ride tapping is super sweet, the vocals are so nice too.

Of course another RL in the deadwax...the guy is a genius at his craft.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 23:42
^ exactly. Marillion in general are just a quality band period. ;)

Sound soooo so good in beautiful warm analog as well. :)
The majority of their albums are really well recorded. Luck us. :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 00:37
BIG Eloy fan here . Don't have this Live Reincarnation but have pretty much everything else ( not 'Destination' though). Friggin' GREAT band.
Pretty big on Nektar as well. My first Nektar albums were the Sunday Night At The Roundhouse, and Remember The Future from waaaaay back in June '89. I do remember significantly coz I got up to 'no good' around this time, and these albums (and Sabbath's debut) were the aural pleasure for that weekend. Plus it was my birthday !!
Getting back to Radiation, it is a somewhat 'simpler' album from the gang, but is still enjoyable. Sometimes h tries too hard and is over-emotional in his vocal delivery, but it just seems to work with the band. Mark Kelly does a pretty good job with his synths on the album in question. My least fave Marillion is Holidays In Eden. I have it, but not listened to it since it was released (maybe 3 times, tops, and never went back). The next one, Brave, hit me for six. BRILLIANT.....(still don't have that one on vinyl though...)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 14:39
Ha! Good luck finding Brave on vinyl now. The reissue is done, not available on Racket Records anymore. You can find them on ebay and such but people want a pretty penny for them, as they should.

I once found an original vinyl pressing of Brave, used of course for about US300.00 but would never pay that much for vinyl. The next year is when Marillion decided to remix Brave and reissue it...I should have bought two copies. I have it dubbed to 1/4" reel to reel for archive purposes and listen to that usually to save my vinyl version.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 14:55
So yesterday I received my copy of Jack White's Lazaretto (Ultra LP). If you did not read up on it, this album has a lot of vinyl "gimmicks" included. I am not a JW listener but I wanted this album for its gimmicky stuff.

Here is a YT of the stuff on the vinyl....also this album was recorded to tape and all analog mastering. I will say the sound quality is very good, nice and warm with ZERO compression! Wish other artists would do this.

Anyhow its a cool album, good sound.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 16:07

BIG Eloy fan here . Don't have this Live Reincarnation but have pretty much everything else ( not 'Destination' though). Friggin' GREAT band.
Pretty big on Nektar as well. My first Nektar albums were the Sunday Night At The Roundhouse, and Remember The Future from waaaaay back in June '89. I do remember significantly coz I got up to 'no good' around this time, and these albums (and Sabbath's debut) were the aural pleasure for that weekend. Plus it was my birthday !!
Getting back to Radiation, it is a somewhat 'simpler' album from the gang, but is still enjoyable. Sometimes h tries too hard and is over-emotional in his vocal delivery, but it just seems to work with the band. Mark Kelly does a pretty good job with his synths on the album in question. My least fave Marillion is Holidays In Eden. I have it, but not listened to it since it was released (maybe 3 times, tops, and never went back). The next one, Brave, hit me for six. BRILLIANT.....(still don't have that one on vinyl though...)

Ha! Nice Tom! . Then I look forward to what you think of their latest live opus, Reincarnation Live on Stage.
Really like the tracks they do from OCEAN, which are Poseidon's Creation, Decay Of Logos and 'Atlantis Agony At June 5th-8498 13pm Gregorian Earthtime.

Ok. That last track is the longest song title in the world.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 16:12

Ha! Good luck finding Brave on vinyl now. The reissue is done, not available on Racket Records anymore. You can find them on ebay and such but people want a pretty penny for them, as they should.

I once found an original vinyl pressing of Brave, used of course for about US300.00 but would never pay that much for vinyl. The next year is when Marillion decided to remix Brave and reissue it...I should have bought two copies. I have it dubbed to 1/4" reel to reel for archive purposes and listen to that usually to save my vinyl version.

Well if Tom's out of luck on BRAVE (Vinyl) he can always buy a great DAC and call it day.
. Works for me. .
But yeah Jośe, those Marillion albums in vinyl are pretty sought after.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 312>