Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 20:27
Going for a darker and heavier theme makes sense given the circumstances. Grey looking vinyl seems fitting too. Need to give this a listen soon.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 13:23
Mine is the standard black, I did not make an order quick enough to snag one of the colored versions, which is fine. This is one fine record by Riverside.......
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 18:27
Hey hey, listening to Halleluwah the proper way.

Edited by HolyMoly - October 27 2018 at 18:27
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:28
^ Nice!! You speak the truth, the proper way......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:35
A little shopping the other day.......It is simply amazing at how good all my records pressed by Optimal Media GmbH sound. Sky Moves Sideways is shear brilliance from a sound quality perspective, it really makes me like this album more. The CD version just never hit me like this version does, this remastered version is amazing. Steven Wilson added this comment in the liner notes:

"This 2012 vinyl edition features a new "anti-loudness" remaster - in order to preserve the natural dynamics of the music hardly any limiting or EQ have been applied to the original masters."

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:53
^^ Those Can reissues became quite expensive lately. I should have bought more when I had the chance.

^ I ordered a few original Delirium Records CD's the other day, that one included. No additional overdubs, no tracklist changes, no drums on Dislocated Day. The main reason why I like vinyl is to listen to records how they originally sounded (even if they sound worse), and that's not the case unfortunately.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 15:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A little shopping the other day.......It is simply amazing at how good all my records pressed by Optimal Media GmbH sound. Sky Moves Sideways is shear brilliance from a sound quality perspective, it really makes me like this album more. The CD version just never hit me like this version does, this remastered version is amazing. Steven Wilson added this comment in the liner notes:

"This 2012 vinyl edition features a new "anti-loudness" remaster - in order to preserve the natural dynamics of the music hardly any limiting or EQ have been applied to the original masters."

Yup . Most CDS suck . Terrible compression rates and excessive digital processing .
More love is definitely put towards the vinyl medium today....as you already know. :)

My feeling is bring back the 80's! The CD was a medium that was treated with respect and love back then .
Enjoy your Riverside albums Josè . The CD versions I find are okay but not nearly as dynamic sounding as they could be. 

Edited by progbethyname - October 30 2018 at 15:14
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 23:50
You are right Nick......CDs (new ones) just miss the mark for me from a sound quality perspective. Even this new Riverside album that included a CD is not comparable to the vinyl version. I only use it to add the album to my digital collection for "on the go listening".

At this point in my music listening life, I just have wayyyyyy too many examples where the CD just sounds flat and too clinical in most cases. The loudness wars just kills all the dynamics and resolution, I would say my 80's CDs do sound good compared to 90's and onward CDs, sadly that did not last long.

Cheers.........BTW the new Riverside album is excellent!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 16:14
^ Hey José . It really is too bad and I sadly am fully aware of it. So much so I rarely buy a cd made after 1995 . The music industry I know has no soul and certainly they know they can charge far more for vinyl than cd, so why not master the vinyl better to make people believe that vinyl is the higher fidelity medium! I get it...I really do which is why I hunt down original sound recordings on CD from the 80's .

Also my friend .it is to my understanding that riverside will release Wasteland in 5.1 surround . I will wait to jump on that . Their last one for love fear...time machine was really good and super dynamic .

Enjoy my friend .

You are doing it the right way!! CD sucks today. Even the new haken album on CD is compressed to sh*t .f**king pathetic. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 01:23
Hey Nick.......I'm not sure there is a "right way", although I understand what you are saying. I call it a very strong preference in how I listen to music. Once you get into several levels of audio gear, especially high end gear, you can develop a preference on how you want to hear your music.....and make no bones about it, money comes into play.
Today's audio gear is sooooooo much better than 80-90's audio gear, R&D and electronics is simply better, and if you go and audition you will hear it.

I have said it over and over, in all cases digital should be "better" than analog, and it is. But digital still fails in the dept of emotional conveyance of the music from the artist. And isn't that what we want from our music, an emotional connection?? I know I do. Digital can be so clean that it sounds un-natural and you can hear it. Theoretically a 16bit redbook CD has a dynamic range of around 97dB, pretty amazing but then 24bit high rez files can be as much s 144dB, this is beyond the human hearing range, totally un-natural!!

Look I don't expect most to go and spend say $5K on a turntable setup, but do yourself a favor and go audition a high end analog rig and then listen to a digital rig. Two things you will notice 1) You will connect with the analog rig playing vinyl, 2) The cost to achieve high quality digital rig can run you dbl what an analog rig will.
I will spend money on my analog rig, because that is what makes me smile and there is ZERO listening fatigue with analog. I can sit for hours spinning records but can't do the same with CDs or digital files, I lose interest in the music.

The new Haken album was not as nice as The Mountain, from a mastering perspective, I find both Visions and Aquarius much better mastered, even the EP Restoration is excellent.
The big problem with digital recordings is the mastering process can hard limit the frequency to 20KHz, a hard cut off. Again, for me the only reason I get CDs is to add them to my digital library for on the go listening, that's it, there is no high fidelity quality to CDs, IMO they are the lowest end of sound quality and that is where digital fails big.

I have no issues paying $15-$40 for vinyl, the packaging more than makes up for the cost and the listening experience is more than worth it.

I like records........
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 02:17
^  Absolutely José . I of course know everything you've said here and agree with most of it . My feeling of a good high end turntable with proper tone arm, cartridges and a strong platter for dampening is far more expensive than a decent high quality CD player with a great built in DAC...WAY more expensive .

As far as cds go .you are right, especially in regards to so called Hi res music .
16/44 Redbook is more than enough...even according to the Nyquist theory on human hearing capabilities .
Dithering and bit bucketing is NOT hi-res .it is a farce. 
Also, I as well know how strong, warm and inviting both cd can sound on high end systems both through speakers and headphones .
My feeling is CD possesses greater dynamic range if of course that recording is mastered properly for that medium .
I too can listen to music for hrs with no fatigue with my high end digital set up provided my music sources or choices are great ...80's all the way .
I have many cds containing an average dynamic range of 14 DB and MORE when i measure their RMS values on foobar .

The cds today or the last 20 years are pretty sh*t more often than not. 

Vinyl is much better on average than cd today, so really it is the right way .

I am just thankful a lot of my all time favourite music was recorded in the 80's. 
Cds were real warm and inviting then .even the pop music for god sakes .lol
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 23:22
80's CDs are the best......but vinyl from all eras are excellent to brilliant. Of course all with good mastering, mixing and pressing.

Also remember that system synergy is a huge factor in hearing amazing sounds, not just a turntable setup or just a CDP setup. Amplification is huge, good quality components and power supply is critical to getting the best signal to your speakers......And of course speakers are the weakest link in any system so low end speakers will simply kill the sound from high quality components up the chain.

We are on the same page my friend!
Cheers
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 18:42
^ yeah we always have been . I spent a lot of time, research and $$ into my home audio set ups . Actually I am amazed at how important acoustic room treatment and power line conditioners are! Such a huge upgrade in SQ! You could not be more right, José. I have also had a great time discovering and figuring out the sonic differences and improvements that I have made for my speaker set up and headphone set up ...lots of energy and time. A labour of love if you will .
And that is what the hobby is all about!! 
Lately in have enjoyed testing my system with mobile fidelity (MFSL) master recordings. My god man! Now that is fun .
Say? Do you have brothers in arms (original master recording) on Vinyl? 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 00:49
These just arrived......

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 00:31
love OSI's Blood!! 

Terminal is an amazing track . you will groove right into it .
Enjoy man. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 13:32
You are right Nick, I only had a digital version but this vinyl is simply killer!! The dynamics and resolution are fantastic. Terminal, Stockholm and the bonus tracks are sweet. This was cut and pressed by Optimal Media GmbH, who do an amazing job. ZERO surface noise.....I hope the other OSI albums get some vinyl love soon.

I also really enjoy The Pineapple Thief release, also pressed by Optimal in Germany.....outstanding sound quality. I also ordered the new TPT album Dissolution, should be here today.

Last night was fun!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 14:11
^ that OSI album is awesome, looks cool, too Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 14:28
Hi,

I'm in the process of closing down the vinyl collection altogether including the turntable ... the sad part being that I have probably over 500 albums that are not available anywhere, and CD or artist information is from another planet!

At my age, with no house and on a meager SS income, I can not continue carrying that weight a long time anymore. 

One thing though ... all that stuff lives and is imprinted in my heart! Makes no difference to me if it came via vinyl, cd, cassette, or Mack truck!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 16:59
hey Jose. I quite like Blood album . Did you by chance get the bonus tracks on your vinyl pressing? Terminal (Endless version) is amazing .What an electronic, grooving powerhouse. 

Overall I feel the recording of the album is quite good, but only in some areas. Bass and LFE retrival are much better than average for a such a modern recording . Blood is a great headphone listen too! Has a very good sustained sub bass presence .
I listened to the album today and I very much enjoyed what I heard .microburst alert is a very well crafted piece of music . I am sure the vinyl pressing you have does a great job articulating the dynamics of that track . Love the air traffic control voice samples . Love my HD 800's cause I can actually make out all the words he is saying .:)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 12:03
Yup, Side IV includes 3 bonus tracks which are excellent. Christian Brothers is just ok, the other two kill it! You are spot on, I had a short HP listen too and it was very good......
Dynamics and resolution are fantastic as is the sustain, this is why I hope the other OSI albums get some vinyl love!
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 312>