Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 17:40
Arrived this weekend from BlueNote Records

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 16:36
An impeccable pressing from ECM Germany, originally recorded in 1999 in NYC. Stunning sound with bass notes so deep and detailed, I'm not a big fan of guitars in jazz so this has a bit more of that west coast jazz feel, I'd prefer a piano in pace of guitar.

Charles Lloyd's playing is still very special. I would have liked some liner notes and reading about the musicians and the recording session. The gatefold pictures are pretty nice though......Excellent record and amazing sound.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 15:43
Received yesterday in the mail.......Very nice packaging includes the CD on album. I got the solid light blue LP version. Sounds very good, I'm not a big fan of Rich Mouser's mixing and mastering but this one is good to very good. It really helps that Optimal Media GmbH cut and pressed this record, they are the best!

Rhapsody In Blue is an excellent version and Key To the Imagination is also excellent! I do appreciate that what is missing is Jordan's traditional DT keyboard wonking, not hearing that krapp is refreshing. Overall this is an excellent album and great return by LTE, hoping they come this way for a tour next year or sooner.

Edited by Catcher10 - April 15 2021 at 15:45
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 15:54
^ Oh nice. I have their first two outings, so I guess you recommend this one too? Thanks.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 16:47
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Oh nice. I have their first two outings, so I guess you recommend this one too? Thanks.
Yea I do! It's not as prog metal as LTE and has more of that symphonic prog metal of LTE 2, it's a very easy listen flows really nice. LTE 2 is my favorite still.......
I am hoping for a LTE I repress as an online shopping glitch caused me to miss that one Angry.......I have LTE 2 on coke bottle green, it goes for about $200 now, there is one on Discogs for sale at like $700 signed by Portnoy. LTE I goes for like $500, so a repress is needed!

I'll sell you the CD of LTE 3 for like ohhh....$300!! LOL
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 16:57
^ Thanks, sounds good, but...
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

...you know, the postage might be beyond my budget. Unhappy

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 18:59
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Thanks, sounds good, but...

...you know, the postage might be beyond my budget. Unhappy
True dat!!
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 02:08
Ok, thought id make this again in the designated thread.

I only started in November last year, but this is what i have so far.

All my Threshold ones are limited coloured vinyl editions, except for the one in the top left hand corner.
My Dark Side of the Moon is a 2016 pressing.    The Nightwish album is a limited gold vinyl edition.    The Clockwork Orange album is a german copy that i paid only £2 for, but the jacket is in poor manky condition.   The Les Miserables one was my grandads copy, which he looked after very well and is my most valuble vinyl.   Its worth £30 to £40 according to discogs.      I also this week made my very first purchase from Discogs market place.    But it was only for a single.   A Split Second - Flesh.    That song was the song that created the genre Newbeat, albiet by accident, when belguin DJ Dikke Ronny accidently played the song at 33rpm instead of 45.

Edited by Greenmist - May 01 2021 at 02:10
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 12:40
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

I only started in November last year, but this is what i have so far.

All my Threshold ones are limited coloured vinyl editions, except for the one in the top left hand corner.
My Dark Side of the Moon is a 2016 pressing.    The Nightwish album is a limited gold vinyl edition.    The Clockwork Orange album is a german copy that i paid only £2 for, but the jacket is in poor manky condition.   The Les Miserables one was my grandads copy, which he looked after very well and is my most valuble vinyl.   Its worth £30 to £40 according to discogs.      I also this week made my very first purchase from Discogs market place.    But it was only for a single.   A Split Second - Flesh.    That song was the song that created the genre Newbeat, albiet by accident, when belguin DJ Dikke Ronny accidently played the song at 33rpm instead of 45.

How do you like those Threshold records? I only have a couple on CD Dead......
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 13:29

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">I only started in November last year, but this is what i have so far.</span><div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">All my Threshold ones are limited coloured vinyl editions, except for the one in the top left hand corner.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">My Dark Side of the Moon is a 2016 pressing.    The Nightwish album is a limited gold vinyl edition.    The Clockwork Orange album is a german copy that i paid only £2 for, but the jacket is in poor manky condition.   The Les Miserables one was my grandads copy, which he looked after very well and is my most valuble vinyl.   Its worth £30 to £40 according to discogs.      I also this week made my very first purchase from Discogs market place.    But it was only for a single.   A Split Second - Flesh.    That song was the song that created the genre Newbeat, albiet by accident, when belguin DJ <span style=": rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb32, 33, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Dikke Ronny accidently played the song at 33rpm instead of 45.</span><div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"><span style=": rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb32, 33, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span><div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"><span style=": rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb32, 33, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span>

Yeah Josè. I know why you make that face ( )

A lot of Threshold CD’s have that ugly compression, low dynamic and anemic bass sound.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 16:34
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">I only started in November last year, but this is what i have so far.</span><div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">All my Threshold ones are limited coloured vinyl editions, except for the one in the top left hand corner.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">My Dark Side of the Moon is a 2016 pressing.    The Nightwish album is a limited gold vinyl edition.    The Clockwork Orange album is a german copy that i paid only £2 for, but the jacket is in poor manky condition.   The Les Miserables one was my grandads copy, which he looked after very well and is my most valuble vinyl.   Its worth £30 to £40 according to discogs.      I also this week made my very first purchase from Discogs market place.    But it was only for a single.   A Split Second - Flesh.    That song was the song that created the genre Newbeat, albiet by accident, when belguin DJ <span style=": rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb32, 33, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Dikke Ronny accidently played the song at 33rpm instead of 45.</span><div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"><span style=": rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb32, 33, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span><div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"><span style=": rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb32, 33, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span>

Yeah Josè. I know why you make that face ( )

A lot of Threshold CD’s have that ugly compression, low dynamic and anemic bass sound.

Exactly.....if they were mastered for analog and that krapp corrected I may buy some of them....I like Threshold.
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 07:42
What do you mean, mastered for analouge, isnt vinyl analouge media?.

Those are the only Threshold albums i have on vinyl, but i have every album of theirs on CD though.

Id say Subsurface is their best album, then their latest albulm Legend of The Shires in 2nd place, then Hypothetical 3rd place, and March of Progress 4th place.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 09:50

What do you mean, mastered for analouge, isnt vinyl analouge media?.

Those are the only Threshold albums i have on vinyl, but i have every album of theirs on CD though.

Id say Subsurface is their best album, then their latest albulm Legend of The Shires in 2nd place, then Hypothetical 3rd place, and March of Progress 4th place.
Most if not all new recordings are done in the digital domain. The multi tracks are captured as a digital file and all mix and mastering is done digitally. If the mastering is brickwalled meaning all the volume levels are gain matched you lose all dynamics and resolution of the recording, and if this master is used to cut records it will sound pretty bad. The CD might sound a bit better, but to the trained ear you know it when you hear it.......The problem over the past 30yrs is that bad mastering has given the CD a terrible rap, one that it will probably never shake off.

A digital recording can sound absolutely stellar on LP, if the engineer does not brick wall the volume, if they mix the multi tracks properly. You will notice this if you also get a CD with the LP, you can A/B the sound quality. Steven Wilson is probably our best example of how he mixes and masters digital recordings and then those get pressed to LP. There is warmth, dynamic range and resolution in the work he does.

But for the purist, the most natural sounding recording will probably always be a 100% analog recording to tape, where there is no digital processing involved. As was the case up till about late 80s, after that studios started to use digital processing. Albums from the 70's have a more natural, full and warm sound vs the clinical/sterile sound of digital. It's your choice which you prefer.

Human hearing maxes out at around 95db of dynamic range, so when you have a digital file that pushes to 120-130db of dynamic range that spec is awesome and audio companies sell a lot of DACs because of that, but that is beyond our ability to hear the difference. It's almost the difference between dead silence and standing next to a jet engine....we don't hear that way.

A long answer, sorry about that!

Enjoy your records!!
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 12:41
^^ Great post Smile
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 20:25
A little record shopping today in Tacoma @ Hi-Voltage Records...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 00:47
Muse album a birthday pressie from my Nephew and Niece 

Edited by richardh - May 22 2021 at 00:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 00:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ohh nice!! Is that the 4-LP box ELP set?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 01:14
Great video of the upcoming UHQR box set of Kind Of Blue. I have this on preorder, sure I have 2 copies already but these UHQR issues are simply brilliant. These are the ultimate in high end audiophile LP reissues using the original master tapes, 100% analog pristine pressings as well including lots of literature and great pictures, mastered by the great Bernie Grundman.

Chad Kassem who owns Acoustic Sounds has mentioned some exciting titles coming on UHQR in the future. Like Chad says....."Buy now or cry later..." Once these things sell out they are done, there will be no re-presses.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2021 at 12:30

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ohh nice!! Is that the 4-LP box ELP set?

yep that's the one Smile
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 09:38
What are these things, compact discs, of which you speak?

Edited by LAM-SGC - June 05 2021 at 09:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 312>