Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 17:53
Just a little story why it's still a good idea to check the 2nd hand stores when getting used vinyl.  It's tough to find good vinyl in these stores anymore because the dealers always seem to be there at the right time when the used stores put out newly donated vinyl.  But, every once in a while, I get a good surprise.  

I found a copy of Be Bop Deluxe "Drastic Plastic" while thumbing through the usual copies of Perry Como and Paul Anka records.  These are all priced at $2 each.  So, I grabbed it without even looking at the vinyl itself because it was so cheap.  I got it home and found out it was on white vinyl (Harvest, SW-11750, Canada, 1978).  The vinyl is pristine, the cover is VG, but the inner sleeve is a bit gnarly.  Mid to High range in Discogs is $20 - $50.  

It always pays to look through those bins.

P.S. - I also found a VG+ copy of Prince's "Sign of the Times" in that bin.

Edited by TCat - June 19 2021 at 17:55

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 18:09
With the lifting of the 'In Store' shopping ban this week I was able to venture into a Hock Shop in Orangeville.
My LP takeaway...
ELP - Works Vol 1
Seals and Crofts - Get closer
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

All appear to have VG Cover - Media Unknown but looks good visually.
I'll give them a wash up on Monday and then spin.
Price per LP...$4.34 CDN
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 12:26
So strictly speaking they're not LP's but...I love that stores are open again !
6 Cassettes...$10 = $1.66 ea.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 13:07
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

With the lifting of the 'In Store' shopping ban this week I was able to venture into a Hock Shop in Orangeville.
My LP takeaway...
ELP - Works Vol 1
Seals and Crofts - Get closer
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

I would've gladly bought those three albums too. Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 20:42
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Picked up GG- 'Interview' and 'Three Friends' on original vinyl as well as VDGG -first US press' Least We Can Do Is Wave'...but the kid 'misplaced' my copy of 'Gracious' he was holding for me and has to look for it.....and The 'Mighty Baby' is an original UK on Head label and he wants $400. I told him I would think about it. 
Stern Smile 

Ohhh SNAP!!! Pretty pricey.........It would have to be NM as well cover in NM with no seam splits or ring wear.
The Mighty Baby is VG+ cover and record is NM but I think $400 is too high. Unless he comes down to $350 or  $300 I'm not buying it.
He better find the Gracious or he's going to feel my wrath.  Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 10:30

So strictly speaking they're not LP's but...I love that stores are open again !
6 Cassettes...$10 = $1.66 ea.

Nice JD!! Maybe we should edit the thread title to "Vinyl and Tapes".. Tongue 

I saw a YT video from a hi-fi repair shop detailing the famous Nakamichi Dragon tape deck, God that deck is so awesome, has always been something I dreamed about owning. Restored those decks go for around $3K....simply cra-cra.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 10:31

Picked up GG- 'Interview' and 'Three Friends' on original vinyl as well as VDGG -first US press' Least We Can Do Is Wave'...but the kid 'misplaced' my copy of 'Gracious' he was holding for me and has to look for it.....and The 'Mighty Baby' is an original UK on Head label and he wants $400. I told him I would think about it. 
Stern Smile 

Ohhh SNAP!!! Pretty pricey.........It would have to be NM as well cover in NM with no seam splits or ring wear.
The Mighty Baby is VG+ cover and record is NM but I think $400 is too high. Unless he comes down to $350 or  $300 I'm not buying it.
Offer him $300, he should know that albums like that will only sell to those that want that kind of music.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 11:23
Another fine day in the neighbourhood !
A small town 'Collectables' store 20 min. away.
And tons of prog. I'll be heading back tomorrow to see if I can swing a swap or consignment deal with some Mint Condition Metal albums I have that I have no interest in...Watch This Space.

6 LP's - $80 cash = $13.30 ea. (or less if you consider tax) (all came with jacket sleeves)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 15:54

Another fine day in the neighbourhood !
A small town 'Collectables' store 20 min. away.
And tons of prog. I'll be heading back tomorrow to see if I can swing a swap or consignment deal with some Mint Condition Metal albums I have that I have no interest in...Watch This Space.

6 LP's - $80 cash = $13.30 ea. (or less if you consider tax) (all came with jacket sleeves)

Not bad at all.....!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 09:56
Yesterday's score.

Cassettes

LP's

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 12:04

Yesterday's score.

Cassettes

LP's

Great scroe JD Clap..........I have on cassette the Genesis, JGeils and PC. Nice that you found Argent on LP 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 12:36
I wish I could upload some of the awesome stuff i've gotten in the past couple months, but apparently pictures from my phone are too big for Progarchives to handle. What's the best workaround for this?
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 12:54
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I wish I could upload some of the awesome stuff i've gotten in the past couple months, but apparently pictures from my phone are too big for Progarchives to handle. What's the best workaround for this?
I keep all my pics on Imgur. Take with my phone then upload to Imgur, but I resize them all to 900 x 650. Imgur has several share buttons, us the BBCode (message boards and forums). post that link here and the images show up.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 15:32
Anyone have any great hacks for getting the musty smell out of the LP jackets that have absorbed the smell of the collectable stores they've been resting in?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 15:34

Stern Smile 

Offer him $300, he should know that albums like that will only sell to those that want that kind of music.

Offered him $300...said he'd think on it...I did get the Gracious (US first press) for $30. VG+

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 15:37

Anyone have any great hacks for getting the musty smell out of the LP jackets that have absorbed the smell of the collectable stores they've been resting in?
I usually just lighly wipe them with a very mild eyeglass lens cleaner I used at my office....don't let it sit on the cover longer than a few seconds...test one first..
Saw this in Google
How To Remove Smell From Vinyl Records – 5 Methods
  1. Replace the sleeves and jackets of your records.
  2. Use a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery brush.
  3. Spray and dry/wipe with special disinfectants like Concrobium.
  4. Air out your jackets, sleeves and records. ...
  5. Fully clean the records with a cleaning kit.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 15:58

Airing them out is probably the best solution.......You could try misting them with Febreze.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 15:58

Stern Smile 

Offered him $300...said he'd think on it...I did get the Gracious (US first press) for $30. VG+

Clap
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2021 at 06:54
Holy Crap !! And I thought 'Dark Side of the Moon' was an expensive album.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2021 at 13:59

Holy Crap !! And I thought 'Dark Side of the Moon' was an expensive album.

DSOtM copies are only spendy if you want a UK 1st press with A3/B3 lacquers. Or one of the early audiophile pressings from MoFi. But $100-$300 bucks will get you 70-85% of the UK 1st press, problem is will be VG only, NM are way more. The 2016 $40 record is very good, nothing like the 30th anniversary or a first press though.

These rare records (never heard of Capitolo) can fetch uber money, I see recent reissues go for normal money. 
DSOtM is also so expensive because the engineering and SQ of that original record is absolutely gorgeous!! I wonder if this Capitolo sounds any good, looks like it's their only album.

You should buy it and let us know! Clap

Edited by Catcher10 - June 26 2021 at 14:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 312>