Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 03:18
^ Jose, I don't know how to post pics, I've tried once, but it failed......
I'm using my iPod so I may need to download an uploading app. (Or something like this??)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 13:30
I keep all my pics on photobucket, it creates a link for web posting. But yea you have to first load to your PC then upload to photobucket.

At least that is what I do.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:40
Need to further investigate but really sounds interesting, of course to fully appreciate mono recordings on vinyl its best to have a mono cartridge. I would not spend the money for mono a cartridge as I have so very few mono albums. Although they do sound glorious.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/monochrome-recordings-takes-vinyl-exclusivity-new-extremes

MONOCHROME Recordings Takes Vinyl Exclusivity to New Extremes

By Michael Fremer • Posted: Aug 19, 2014

Monochrome Recordings is a new vinyl label with a seriously exclusive business model.
The live performances will be "...captured entirely with velocity microphones through Altec pre-amplification." The sessions will then be mixed to a Full-Track Ampex recorder with Westinghouse tube circuitry on Scotch Dynarange tape. Mastering will be ​via a Scully Lathe and Westrex cutter head with pressing done on a Finebilt hand loaded vinyl press.

While the first release originated as a 24 bit digital recording, future recordings will be done on a restored tubed Ampex full-track recorder. The producer also says that all sessions are recorded in stereo in the digital domain using a pair of Neumann SDC's through Grace pre-amplification.

Only 100 copies of each record will be sold at a price that has yet to be announced.

The label recently announced its first vinyl issue: a solo piano recording by jazz pianist Doug Carn whose 1970's albums on the Black Jazz Records label are now considered cult classics by jazz aficionados. Carn has worked with Shirley Horn, Stanley Turrentine, and Lou Donaldson among others.

In 1971 at age 23 Carn released Infant Eyes and a year later issued Spirit of the New Land a Lee Morgan tribute. In 1973 came Revelation. But the vital energy and creativity resulting from his partnership with Jean Carn quickly faded. Now Carn is back.

The solo piano recording was produced at Hamilton Stage Studios in the new Rahway Arts District.

To pre-order or to bitch and moan email: [email protected]
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:49
I never understood what's special about mono albums Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 23:48
Well some jazz albums are pretty sweet in mono. Miles Davis Round About Midnight is pretty amazing.

But in general I am not a mono fan...
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 01:08
As long as both of the mixes are well done I usually don't care. But if I had to choose I'll choose Stereo for most albums.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 01:38
^ I guess they are OK for people who can only afford one speaker or who do not clean their ears Tongue

Edited by Gerinski - August 22 2014 at 01:38
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:51
There's nothing inherently good about mono as opposed to stereo - however, in the 60s, mono recordings often offered a more believable sound.  In the case of the Beatles, for example, the stereo mix was more of an afterthought, and the main work went into the mono mix (this according to Geoff Emerick, engineer on many of the Beatles' albums).  Stereo imaging in those days was not as sophisticated as it was just a few years later - the hard left/right panning of the instruments was very noticeable and not really representative of what the band actually sounded like.  So when I'm offered a choice between mono and stereo for an album recorded during that time, I'll... aw hell I'll just get both.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:20
When stereo became popular in the 1960s many mono recordings were electronically enhanced to make a pseudo stereophonic image (called pseudo-stereo, quasi-stereo or rechanneled stereo) since they were recorded and mixed in monophonic, the result was never satisfactory.Just as a stereo recording for CD pressing will be different to that for an LP pressing, the balance and EQ of a mono mix is different to a stereo mix.

In mono pressings the music is reproduced in the horizontal movement of the stylus in the groove with no vertical movement, whereas the stereo reproduces the (L+R) in the horizontal and (L-R) in the vertical... that is the stereo grooves are cut at an angle of 45° so when you play a mono pressing with a stereo cartridge you only reproduce a (L+R) signal. Which is all well and good.

The problem with playing mono sources on modern stereo equipment is any differences (noise + distortion) between left and right are exaggerated since any vertical movement caused by dust and scratches is still reproduced. Back in the day a mono recording would generally sound better when you pushed the "Mono" button on the pre-amp as this ensured that both channels received the same signal.

Edited by Dean - August 22 2014 at 06:20
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 19:12
Some real nice covers here, so far the standout is ABBAs The Day Before You Came....Prince's Sign O the Times is electronic and some distorted guitar, very nice.
The surprise so far was Alanis Morrisette's Thank You, very plain acoustic but his singing is excellent.

As usual the KScope issue is brilliantly pressed in Germany with a detail and clarity on par with his best, especially since these songs are heavy acoustic surface noise is almost non-existent.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 21:34
Addicted.....yup!

Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 19:16
Isn't that a logo for a record company? Can't remember the name.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 19:50
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Isn't that a logo for a record company? Can't remember the name.

Hmmm...not sure, if it is one I have never seen don't think, now I gotta go look!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 17:59
Just arrived on my doorstep

Pressed in Germany, issued by InsideOut Music. So the pressing quality is very good, the sound quality is fantastic, which a bit of surprise since this is originally from 2000. The mastering to vinyl is very good....obviously.

I ordered early enough to get Neal Morse signature, not the best you can tell he was in a hurry

I have another signature from him on my T2 Deluxe Box set which is super nice but that one he gave me as he was leaving the restroom, another story!

Very good issue for sure...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 15:30
Nice article on Nashville as the "capitol of vinyl", just more reporting of what we already know is going on in music and recording.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/30/nashville-record-presses-vinyl-boom
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 01:44
The picture discs are just ok, friends have told me they are not that great sound wise.

But now we get black vinyl 180gram reissues from original analogue master tapes.

I'm in for a few of these....

http://www.ironmaiden.com/classic-80s-vinyl-reissues-on-the-way.html
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 16:42
^ Half my Facebook feed is about 180g vinyl reissues LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 00:51
I just received my Yes 'Heaven And Earth' 2LP Aqua colour. Shame I'm so lame I can't post pics, but let me tell you - it does look better than the quality of the music composed here. The sounds/production are pristine and do bring out a fine balance between all the performers, but after spinning this album twice in a row, I reached for Glass Hammer's only LP (so far) 'Perilous'. It was much better. I love Yes with all my heart, but this is sounding way too contrived. So far, I prefer the SQUACKETT album to H&E. I need to brainwash myself to like it more than I do......not even close, give me Fly From Here any day.

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 02 2014 at 00:54
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I just received my Yes 'Heaven And Earth' 2LP Aqua colour. Shame I'm so lame I can't post pics, but let me tell you - it does look better than the quality of the music composed here. The sounds/production are pristine and do bring out a fine balance between all the performers, but after spinning this album twice in a row, I reached for Glass Hammer's only LP (so far) 'Perilous'. It was much better. I love Yes with all my heart, but this is sounding way too contrived. So far, I prefer the SQUACKETT album to H&E. I need to brainwash myself to like it more than I do......not even close, give me Fly From Here any day.

You are resonating what most people say about the new album. There is a post in the new Prog Magazine about the album, essentially saying it is just to bland, a few bright spots but bland.

I am happy with my digital download, if I see it in the used bins I would buy it...at a used price of course.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 19:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Just arrived on my doorstep

Pressed in Germany, issued by InsideOut Music. So the pressing quality is very good, the sound quality is fantastic, which a bit of surprise since this is originally from 2000. The mastering to vinyl is very good....obviously.

I ordered early enough to get Neal Morse signature, not the best you can tell he was in a hurry

I have another signature from him on my T2 Deluxe Box set which is super nice but that one he gave me as he was leaving the restroom, another story!

Very good issue for sure...

Goddamn Jośe. This is pretty sweet. What a sight. I got a nice copy of V via cd to pair with the almighty DAC.
This album is wonderful. One of the Beard's best. Definitely has a leg up on Snow.
Enjoy man. Looking good.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 312>