Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Nice haul Sam! I don't have that Camel album....
Thanks! I prefer the live version to the studio version, but since its not easy to find Camel albums here, I'm happy with it SmileCuriously, this one has a considerable scratch that I didn't see when I bought it, but it works perfectly. The Nursery Cryme vinyl don't have any visible damage but it crackles a lot in some high volume parts Ermm

Give the Genesis album a good cleaning and that should eliminate some of the crackling, also static could be causing the popping sound.

It may be the album has just been played a lot.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Gee, some fine choices in your LP additions there, Sam! Those were some of the earliest titles I ever bought, and they're all still so dear to me!

Have you seen the alternate cover of `Tales' with Alan Parsons himself on the front cover?! Ohh, it is so cool!

Thanks! There was still a lot of albums I wanted to buy, but I didn't bring much money because on the last fair, I didn't find anything I like Tongue

I never saw that cover, I prefer the original though: it's less scary LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:41

Give the Genesis album a good cleaning and that should eliminate some of the crackling, also static could be causing the popping sound.

I will, thanks for the advice.

It may be the album has just been played a lot.

I can see that happening Big smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:41
Yes, the original one looks a little more regal and classy, this one...I don't know, Mr Parsons has quite a glassy-eyed stoned look, plus a mix of magic powers!

I'll be honest...I can't take my eyes of it!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:48
^ It's quite hypnotizing, I admit LOL

Speaking of alternative covers, do you know the portuguese cover of 'Illusions on a Double Dimple'? Dead
I'll never buy this one LOL

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:52
Sam, I am as straight as an arrow, but Mr Parsons has cast a spell on me!

Wow, what a strange cover on that Triumvirat album, I've never seen that one before.....Oh man, resident Trimvirat fanatic Doug (Presdoug) will break my legs for admitting that!

Still, the music is all good on that one!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 14:00
Of course the music is good, but I want a mouse on an eggshell LOL

There are some funny pins on that one though Tongue
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 14:39
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Upgraded from a Dual deck to a Music Hall 5.2 with a 1012 Goldring Cartridge and running silver custom cables to Klipsch Forte ll.  It's a fantastic set up for a very reasonable investment.  I think I'm under $2500. 

I don't know how to describe exactly what CDs do to the music (flatten it? hollow it out? replace the pulsating texture with a series of acoustic snapshots?), but by now I am 100% sure that the difference between digital and analog is not "only in my head".

Silver cables and the rest of the decadent audiophilia aside :) ... what's the 1012 Goldring is like? I am curious how it handles the lows. 
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 14:50

I will, thanks for the advice.

It's always a good idea to clean your flea market haul - for hygienic reasons, if nothing else. 

Don't give him potentially futile hopes, though. The original owners may have stored and handled that Genesis with care, yet played it a few thousand times, so there are no scratches or scuffs, yet the groove is worn out. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 15:54
I cleaned everything I bought, but maybe the record was not cleaned enough (or it's worn out, I'm not sure how a worn out record sounds Ermm). What's the best intensive cleaning method that doesn't damage the record?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 16:26

I cleaned everything I bought, but maybe the record was not cleaned enough (or it's worn out, I'm not sure how a worn out record sounds Ermm). What's the best intensive cleaning method that doesn't damage the record?

Hard to damage a vinyl with cleaning, unless of course you use like gasoline or something

I use distilled water, 1-2 drops of non-scented liquid dish soap and a little 97% IPA in a spray bottle..essentially a homebrew. You can buy premixed cleaners, there are tons of them and also Google it and you will find hundreds of recipe variations.

I spray the vinyl, and then scrub with one of those soft paint brush pads to get into the grooves, with the grooves of course.
And wipe with a soft microfiber towel, then let air dry for 10 minutes.

I use a Zerostat gun, best $50 I have spent on record care, eliminates all the static before playing. I am toying with the idea of buying a record cleaning machine, but they are expensive, since I have a lot of vinyl and also buy a lot of records in the used bins...not sure yet.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 12:35

Hard to damage a vinyl with cleaning, unless of course you use like gasoline or something

I use distilled water, 1-2 drops of non-scented liquid dish soap and a little 97% IPA in a spray bottle..essentially a homebrew. You can buy premixed cleaners, there are tons of them and also Google it and you will find hundreds of recipe variations.

I spray the vinyl, and then scrub with one of those soft paint brush pads to get into the grooves, with the grooves of course.

I use a Zerostat gun, best $50 I have spent on record care, eliminates all the static before playing. I am toying with the idea of buying a record cleaning machine, but they are expensive, since I have a lot of vinyl and also buy a lot of records in the used bins...not sure yet.

I'll try that recipe to clean some of my vinyls Wink

I didn't know something like the Zerostat existed, it seems nice Ermm

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 15:50

I'll try that recipe to clean some of my vinyls WinkI didn't know something like the Zerostat existed, it seems nice Ermm

Yes, brand new they are expensive like US100.00, but if you look you can find them used for US50-US75 or less, depends on condition.

If you are in a very dry climate you might get a lot of static in your room. Other thing you can do is keep a small bowl of water near by to help add moisture to the air.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 16:38
That's probably why I think I never had much problem with static: the climate here is not dry at all Tongue
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 18:26

A trip to the fair, and a lot of prog was there (I hadn't much money though) LOL

What a lovely load of fun this is. Nice vinyl train.
All aboard APP!!! :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:58

My first brand new LP. I though the only format was 180g but this one is 200g.
The sound is stellar, I can identify every single track easily and it does not sound compressed like the CD version always sounded to me. I felt like I was listening this album for the first time, that same chill, the way it sounds so fresh, even though this was released several years ago. Smile
The only negative point was on 'Moonchild' because the post-echo is audible in some parts of the song Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:46

My first brand new LP. I though the only format was 180g but this one is 200g.
The sound is stellar, I can identify every single track easily and it does not sound compressed like the CD version always sounded to me. I felt like I was listening this album for the first time, that same chill, the way it sounds so fresh, even though this was released several years ago. Smile
The only negative point was on 'Moonchild' because the post-echo is audible in some parts of the song Ermm

Yes this remix/remastered version does wonders for the senses, Steven Wilson did an excellent job on the digital version and this vinyl version is brilliant.
Check your anti-skate setting, if you have one, on your TT...you might be riding hard on one groove wall if you are hearing a lot of echo. The standard setting would be the same number as your tracking weight, but play with the AS setting.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:01
If anyone's interested in British Folk rock, Universal has just released Liege and Lief by Fairport, The Northstar Grassman by Sandy Denny and Shoot Out the Lights by Linda and Richard Thompson on vinyl. All are mastered from the original stereo masters.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:24
Man there is so much being released on vinyl sometimes I don't know where to start Confused.....A lot is remix/remastered stuff from original tapes, which is very cool.
I need to get one of those money trees. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:39
^I know how you feel Jose. I try to research the disc as best I can by reading threads like this and blogs and then I wittle down a list of 'must have' discs. But it seems that I must have all of them! LOL

Edited by SteveG - October 22 2014 at 10:40
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 312>