Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 14:53
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

A rhetoric question: Am I the only one in this thread who plays records with the dust cover on- and down? 

One of the nice things about colored vinyl is that scuffs and surface scratches are a lot less visible ..  makes you worry less Approve

I always put my dust cover down.  It never really occurred to me to do otherwise.  I must think it would otherwise be covered in dust within minutes.  I also screw the top back on my pop bottle after every sip, but that's just a nervous habit.

I do the very same, although I tend to drink all of the pop in one go. I've always been a thirsty boy.
Never considered that the dust cover position could have any effect on the listening experience.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 16:16
I play my records with the dust cover on and up, only put it down when I'm done listening and only take it off to take pictures Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 17:10
Its more of a ease of access for me to have the cover off....I put it back on when I am done to keep dust away. It also depends on your system and how revealing it is, I have heard a very high end analog rig that did exhibit a sound difference....but yea it's no so much about that as it is ease of access.

I also apply the bottle top when drinking Coke's....keeps the fizz fresssssh
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 17:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

your dust cover can act like a pickup for vibrations and transmit them to your cartridge and create distortion ....  Furrow browed audiophile extremists gaff at the thought of spinning with a dust cover on LOL 

Unless the dust cover behaves like a wave guide, or resonates with audible frequencies (which it's designed not to do), it should be shielding the cartridge from the direct impact of sound waves. Some of the incoming air pressure fluctuations would be deflected, some - redistributed away from the cartridge, and some - absorbed and dissipated by the dust cover material. For this reason you get less street noise in the room when you shut the window. 

But, like you said, the laws of physics are different on the Planet Audiophilus.

I put the cover down to keep the dust away, that's all ..  

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 17:35

I also screw the top back on my pop bottle after every sip, but that's just a nervous habit. 

Nope; it's called prudence. I do not drink "pop", but I do replace the cap on the water bottle so it won't spill if I knock it over. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 17:43
^ Especially if you're sitting in front of the computer.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 23:49
^ Thirded.....   Top always ON.
Once upon a time, I had a glass of water right next to something important, well, douche-bag me knocks it over and spoils a truckload of sh*t, including said important things.......NEVER again will have any liquids near ANYTHING, especially open.......
BTW, I listen with the lid of my TT open. Only when it's turned off it's closed.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:48
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:24
^ Hmmm, that's left to interpretation........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 12:17
It's Hawkwind........I need to get some of that, tough to find in the used bins though.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 12:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's Hawkwind........I need to get some of that, tough to find in the used bins though.

I've been buying used albums for about 35 years now - and I've never seen a used Hawkwind album... which is why I didn't even know they existed until about 10 - 15 years ago
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 12:45

( :   That's  not even all of them  LOLShocked
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 12:51
that's crazy ...

I started buying records (new - used wasn't an option for a long time) 40 years ago ..
I've got between 3000 - 4000 vinyl records - and I've still never seen a single Hawkwind in the flesh

Edited by Walton Street - November 26 2014 at 12:51
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:13
Not sure I ever have either - apart from the albums that have been re-pressed/printed in recent years (e.g. Electric Tepee, which I saw in a store a couple of weeks ago - for about $40 new).
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:20
Also, I'm beyond delighted to learn of so many others like me who habitually keep the lids on their bottled drinks when not in use.  You all are good people.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:33
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

( :   That's  not even all of them  LOLShocked
And that's why we can't find any Hawkwind album, you bought them all LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:39
LOL

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:41
^ Exactly what I was thinking....he has them all...dammit!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:43

Also, I'm beyond delighted to learn of so many others like me who habitually keep the lids on their bottled drinks when not in use.  You all are good people.

We are a good lot here on the vinyl thread Big smile
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 14:06
I have a load of Hawkwind albums also - at least 40. First up tonight is another oldie.

Edited by Daysbetween - November 26 2014 at 14:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 312>