Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy not more ratings for Gentle Giant albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 14:41
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

If that is true then YES is a second division band because they weren't as big as Pink Floyd or Genesis.

In what way were Yes not as big as Genesis? Genesis' albums only had higher chart placings from Duke onwards. If you're talking the "classic" prog period then I would argue that Yes were bigger.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 15:25
I don't consider them one of the big 6 , never did, and I do have all of their studio albums.
And they are most assuredly an acquired taste as are VDGG imho.

But then the younger members are prolly too busy listening to tech/extreme metal.
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 15:51
Have people here actually looked at the sales statistics for the various groups mentioned? Would probably be interesting, especially if you examine them over time.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 16:04
As Roger said, I don't think we have to blame the young generations, GG were already comparatively unappreciated in the 70's. I myself had Octopus for many years and didn't care for it nor did it motivate me to buy any other of their albums, it was only quite some years later, somewhere during the 90's, that I became aware of their cult following and gave them another chance and finally I got them and now I like a lot much of their music. Together with my progger friends we must have had albums we loved by many dozens of bands, and yet none of us were fans of GG until we rediscovered them much later.
It is only since relatively recently that I see them mentioned as one of the 'big 10' or so. I think their popularity among proggers has grown over the years. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

As Roger said, I don't think we have to blame the young generations, GG were already comparatively unappreciated in the 70's. I myself had Octopus for many years and didn't care for it nor did it motivate me to buy any other of their albums, it was only quite some years later, somewhere during the 90's, that I became aware of their cult following and gave them another chance and finally I got them and now I like a lot much of their music. Together with my progger friends we must have had albums we loved by many dozens of bands, and yet none of us were fans of GG until we rediscovered them much later.
It is only since relatively recently that I see them mentioned as one of the 'big 10' or so. I think their popularity among proggers has grown over the years. 

I think that's right.........I had a few of their early ones when they came but never really appreciated  them until years later. They are one of those bands that kind of fly under the radar in many ways. I know hard core proggers who still don't care for them.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 16:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If that is true then YES is a second division band because they weren't as big as Pink Floyd or Genesis.

In what way were Yes not as big as Genesis? Genesis' albums only had higher chart placings from Duke onwards. If you're talking the "classic" prog period then I would argue that Yes were bigger.

YES were bigger as a prog band but Genesis were bigger as a pop band but over all more people know about Genesis than YES because of their commercial/pop success. In the seventies GG weren't too far behind Genesis. My point was GG were a second tier and not third tier prog band.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 16:50
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Gentle Giant was the first prog band I ever saw (July 76) and they blew me away...of course Yes came on 20 minutes later and blew me even further away LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 16:51
Typically GG do fit in as part of the big five(I'm going by other prog sites where I've read this). Typically the big five is:

YES
GENESIS
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
ELP

PF and JT are not universally recognized as prog or big five but I suppose you could toss either one in for a big six.

ELP's popularity in prog circles has decreased a lot in the past ten to fifteen years in prog circles. GG are far more respected than ELP these days. So that puts GG in a big five even big four(if there was such a thing). I'm going by my experience talking to hardcore fans and prog internet circles so yeah I know what I'm talking about. Ultimately it's an opinion but if you go by consensus then GG are a lock for a big five or big six position.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - December 01 2013 at 16:59
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 17:11
Gentle Giant were not even a third tier band globally, even in the Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot era Genesis out-sold them on album and on tour by a considerable margin. At the height of Gentle Giant's US popularity in 1975 they were opening for bands like Golden Earring, Peter Frampton and Foghat while Genesis were headlining.

What?
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

History, has shown the GG deserves a lot more respect and understanding than we are willing to give it, as a whole, not just as one group of folks, but all of us here.

That's it!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 23:02
To me their polyrhythmic vocal harmonies deserve to be respected for the musicianship, but at the same time I find them hugely annoying. An acquired taste that I've never acquired. They'd have parts of songs that would have a cool medieval thing happening, but then the vocals would kick in and aargh!! What is their purpose? I think one big part of their problem was and continues to be that Prog fans are not as enamored by vocals as much as instrumentals.

Edited by HackettFan - December 01 2013 at 23:05
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 23:20
^ Interesting ... 'cause I love their vocal work on things like "On Reflection" and "His Last Voyage".

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 01 2013 at 23:20
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 23:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Gentle Giant were not even a third tier band globally, even in the Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot era Genesis out-sold them on album and on tour by a considerable margin. At the height of Gentle Giant's US popularity in 1975 they were opening for bands like Golden Earring, Peter Frampton and Foghat while Genesis were headlining.

Actually Gentle Giant opened for Yes in '76 in the US (I saw the San Francisco show).  The inside album cover of Playing the Fool included a map that showed all the dates on their extensive Euro/American tour.  They may never have broken into the top tiers but it wasn't for lack of trying Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 01 2013 at 23:55
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 00:05

Typically GG do fit in as part of the big five(I'm going by other prog sites where I've read this). Typically the big five is:

YES
GENESIS
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
ELP

Your 'typically' is very atypical. Perhaps some sites say so in retrospect, but GG would have never been listed as big five in the 70's. GG bigger than Oldfield, Camel, Tull, Renaissance, all the Canterbury guys, VdGG, Supertramp etc? are you kidding?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 00:18

YES
GENESIS
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
ELP

Your 'typically' is very atypical. Perhaps some sites say so in retrospect, but GG would have never been listed as big five in the 70's. GG bigger than Oldfield, Camel, Tull, Renaissance, all the Canterbury guys, VdGG, Supertramp etc? are you kidding?

Absolutely not. GG had an album "free hand" which made it to number 48 which is more than I can say for any of the bands you mentioned except for maybe Supertramp. And yes they most certainly were bigger than VDGG in the US at least. VDGG had no charting albums and only played one show. GG toured extensively in the US.  Also, it has been suggested that GG were playing the same venues as Genesis was and were as big as them(before Steve Hackett left). While I won't go quite that far the fact is they were playing 1,500 to 4,000 seat venues in the US around the same time Genesis were. Maybe Genesis were filling those seats a little better than GG but the fact remains GG were a pretty big cult band in the seventies and just behind the more mainstream acts(just behind KC).

From wikipedia:

Studio albums

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 01:27

Also, it has been suggested that GG were playing the same venues as Genesis was and were as big as them(before Steve Hackett left). While I won't go quite that far the fact is they were playing 1,500 to 4,000 seat venues in the US around the same time Genesis were. Maybe Genesis were filling those seats a little better than GG but the fact remains GG were a pretty big cult band in the seventies and just behind the more mainstream acts(just behind KC). 

I can only speak to some numbers when the big prog acts toured the San Francisco Bay Area in the mid to late 70's in order of venue size:

1) In '77 I saw Genesis at the SF Winterland ballroom which only held 5,400.  
2) The last King Crimson '74 tour they opened for Ten Years After at the SF Cow Palace: 13,000 seats.  
3) I saw Gentle Giant open for Yes in '76 at the SF Cow Palace: 13,000 seats. 
4) I saw Jethro Tull play the indoor Oakland Arena in '76, '77, '78, & '79 which held 19,500.  
5) I saw ELP's Works tour in '77 (no orchestra) also at the Oakland Arena.  
6) I saw Yes play 2 nights at the Oakland Arena both in '77 and '78 so that's about 39,000 each year.
7) I saw Genesis move up to the Oakland Arena in '78.
8) The biggest ticket seller of all was Pink Floyd who sold out the outdoor Oakland Coliseum on the May '77 Animals tour...attendance: 63,000...they sold out both nights so 126,000 total!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 05:08
At first i didnt like them - but then I kinda acquired the taste Wink
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 05:54

Typically GG do fit in as part of the big five(I'm going by other prog sites where I've read this).

YES
GENESIS
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
ELP

Is this big 4-5-6 only about symp. prog. ?

Otherwise im sure that      Jethro, Floyd, Zappa, Oldfield,  was way bigger in sales than GG ever was. 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 08:18
I started listening to prog in 1977, and was lucky enough to see Genesis at Earls Court in that year! - That started my love of symphonic progressive rock. However, GG were never on my radar for whatever reason - possibly because they didn't do extended tracks?? I remember looking at Octopus (Cover by R. Dean so it caught my eye) and seeing that all/most tracks were only four minutes (ish) long - I then picked up 1984 by A. Phillips and saw 18 minutes + for track length - so I spent my money on that vinyl instead. I recently listed to GG album 1970 and was singularly unimpressed apart from a few bits of lovely acoustic guitar....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 08:31

Absolutely not. GG had an album "free hand" which made it to number 48 which is more than I can say for any of the bands you mentioned except for maybe Supertramp. 

Um,  Tull????  Come on, Aqualung got to no.7 in the US and TAAB hit no.1.  Oldfield - Tubular Bells hit no.3.  Renaissance's Live At Carnegie Hall charted at no.46 so even they managed to just about best Gentle Giant in that regard.  I get that you love Gentle Giant and i do as well but there is surely no need to misrepresent charting stats, of all things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>