Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind
    Posted: December 03 2013 at 01:27
Hawkwind has been my favourite band for a year now, and it seems that they are generally regarded as one of the greats of space rock. But how come their albums are so lowly rated here on progarchives? I have heard the argument "their musicality is too messy", but then how come albums like 'Trout Mask Replica' are rated so highly? I don't really mind, but it seems to me that the founders of space-rock should get more recognition in an online progressive rock community.

BTW, to all you Hawkwind fans, check out Nik-Turner's "Space Gypsy". Fantastical sh*t.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 03:37
As far as both music style and artistic ethos are concerned, HW really have more in common with the "Kosmische Musik" scene of Germany/Austria/Switzerland than with the rest of their generation's British prog/psych scene. I've once heard them described as the most German-sounding band to ever come out of the UK and it's not an unfair description.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 03:41
Check out Nik Turner's Sphynx - Xitintoday - Fantastical sh*t !!!
And the Hawk's 'Electric Tepee', 'It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous', 'Levitation' etc. etc. (if you haven't already...). Hawkwind are awesome, though not everyone's cuppa tea.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 03 2013 at 03:44
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 03:51
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Hawkwind has been my favourite band for a year now, and it seems that they are generally regarded as one of the greats of space rock. But how come their albums are so lowly rated here on progarchives? I have heard the argument "their musicality is too messy", but then how come albums like 'Trout Mask Replica' are rated so highly? I don't really mind, but it seems to me that the founders of space-rock should get more recognition in an online progressive rock community.

Who knows? Maybe Hawkwind lack the whimsy most prog is known for, or maybe their music doesn't contain gratuitous displays of technical proficiency, or maybe many of their albums have a more mainstream feel, and on and on. Space rock doesn't have the same allure as symph, but that's okay. It just means there's something for everybody. Hawkwind have albums I don't care for, but the ones I like -- Warrior, Quark, Chronicle (etc.) -- I REALLY like. And that's what matters.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 04:42
As much as I love Hawkwind, they could pretty inconsistent with quality, both in terms of musicanship and production, especially pre 1980's. Even their best albums have awful low points, where it's clear that had either run out of money, time, ideas, or were simply too battered or couldn't be bothered to finish the album in a coherant way.

You never quite knew what you were going to get with Hawkwind. Was Nik Turner going to play in tune on this album? Was half the album going to comprise appalling bootlegs of mediocre live performances that you would never want to hear, because they didn't have enough material for an album, but had a deadline to release an album anyway.

Albums like Astounding Sounds and Levitation are examples of how great Hawkwind could really be when they had the material, had reherased the material, took production seriously, and didn't do too many drugs.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 08:11

Hi,

To this day, if there is a perfect band for me to play on my car LOUD,  this is it.

I still love it and I do not see the ability to stop loving it.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 10:18
I think the first 6 counting Space Ritual are all rated fairly. They did do quite a few mediocre albums in the 80's and 90's.
I don't own anything after Warrior but I've been meaning to pick up Quark and Levitation for a long time.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 10:47
Hawkwind is an easy band to enjoy.  It's like picking up a fantasy novel.  As long as you're willing to go along on their particular trip, they will entertain you almost without fail.  There are good Hawkwind albums and great Hawkwind albums, but I have yet to hear a bad Hawkwind album --  HOWEVER:  one must be careful when buying something with the Hawkwind name on it.  I can only vouch 100% for their original studio albums.  There are a ton of weird-ass compilations and dubious live albums out there that are definitely of extremely variable quality.  But stick to the original studio albums and some wisely chosen live albums, and you're set.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 10:51
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Hawkwind is an easy band to enjoy. 

Then I must really be screwing something up.  Embarrassed
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 11:09
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I've listened to several of their albums but Hawkwind and I remain a disconnect. I just can't get into their musical trip.
Making the useless useful 24/7.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 12:36
I bought "In Search of Space" when I was 16 and hated it so I wrote them off for many years.  Fast forward about 20 years and I became good friends with a Hawkwind fanatic and decided to give them another try.  He loaned me "Quark Strangeness and Charm" and "Warrior on the Edge of Time" as my first 2 albums as he considered those the most proggy.  I loved them both instantly and went on to build a decent sized Hawkwind discography.  I think they were at their best on stage with the "Friday Rock Show" and "California Brainstorm" albums.  I loved the way they took their early 70's classics ("Assault and Battery", "Brainstorm", "Masters of the Universe") and re-energized them for the 80's/90's.  

Fantastic band but highly misunderstood by prog fans Wink
Luis de Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 14:05
I feel this with some records, especially "Hall of the Mountain Grill", where the Mellotron met Space Rock for the first time. There are others like "This is Hawkwind do not panic" and "Live Seventy Nine" with rates well below 4 that are quite decieving. As for masterpieces like "Space Ritual" and "Warrior on the Edge of Time" I understand that the poetry can turn down some people, but the rate above is in this case a good indication.

Best.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 04:28
To elaborate what I was talking about with Hawkwind coming from a completely different angle than the other British progressive rock groups of their generation: While their music definitely is progressive in the sense of thinking outside the box and expanding the musical vocabulary of rock, there's not much in the way of classical technical virtuosity on display or influence from classical music. (until Hall of the Mountain Grill that is)

It's more like they're deconstructing psychedelic rock and then re-assembling it in unusual ways, going more for an otherworldly atmosphere than an intricate forwards progressing sonata compositional format. (hence the Krautrock comparisons) Not to mention that their approach to instrument playing is really more punk than anything else.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 04:53
Some of Hawkwind's music is deceptively complex in that they utilise many, many layers of synths, samples, instruments, and all at various, selected points in songs. I cite a fantastic example with 'Electric Tepee' - so dense, virtuosic bass from Davey, incredible ideas and constructions, very well written/arranged songs and just a plain brilliant album. The weakest factor on many Hawk albums is the production, in this case, the drums suffer from an '80's hangover' sound, which may deter the listener from realising its amazing, overall power.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 04 2013 at 04:54
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:18
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I've listened to several of their albums but Hawkwind and I remain a disconnect. I just can't get into their musical trip.

There was a musician friend of mine that once said that Hawkwind was cheating the music. I asked what he meant and he said, that most musicians use an effect for 10 to 15 seconds, and that Hawkwind abused the priviledge by stretching that effect for 5 minutes, and then people thinking it was trip music because of the changes in the sound itself!

When I said that it was exactly that you felt when you took some psychs and other goodies, and he goes ... really?

Some of us are trippers! Others are NOT!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Luis de Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:48
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

there's not much in the way of classical technical virtuosity on display or influence from classical music.

And what about Robert's poetry?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:57
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I bought "In Search of Space" when I was 16 and hated it so I wrote them off for many years.  Fast forward about 20 years and I became good friends with a Hawkwind fanatic and decided to give them another try.  He loaned me "Quark Strangeness and Charm" and "Warrior on the Edge of Time" as my first 2 albums as he considered those the most proggy.  I loved them both instantly and went on to build a decent sized Hawkwind discography.  I think they were at their best on stage with the "Friday Rock Show" and "California Brainstorm" albums.  I loved the way they took their early 70's classics ("Assault and Battery", "Brainstorm", "Masters of the Universe") and re-energized them for the 80's/90's.  

That's uncanny since my situation was very similar. I first heard In Search in 1974 and was not really aware of them before that. I thought the music was jumbled up and the production  muddy so I never really got into them (I learned that many stoners back then were fans..) ,but many years later I met a fellow psych/prog fan and he played the later ones and it finally clicked with me.
I see them as kind of a weird ass version of early/middle Pink Floyd with rougher edges and odd ball songs...and some one mentioned Krautrock in relation to their music which I think is true.
Now, Hall and Warrior are two of my favorite things from that time period.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:03
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

That's uncanny since my situation was very similar. I first heard In Search in 1974 and was not really aware of them before that. I thought the music was jumbled up and the production  muddy so I never really got into them (I learned that many stoners back then were fans..) ,but many years later I met a fellow psych/prog fan and he played the later ones and it finally clicked with me.
I see them as kind of a weird ass version of early/middle Pink Floyd with rougher edges and odd ball songs...and some one mentioned Krautrock in relation to their music which I think is true.
Now, Hall and Warrior are two of my favorite things from that time period.

That is a totally bizarre coincidence!  Once again, great minds thinking alike Handshake

I actually bought "In Search of Space" in 1976.  I'd been into prog about a year and was looking for something beyond the ELP/Yes/Tull/Genesis bunch and I loved the cover.  I could not believe what I was hearing...I absolutely hated it and returned it to the record store the next day.

Everything turned out ok though as I really got into Hawkwind 20 years later...but I still didn't like "In Search of Space" LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 04 2013 at 12:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:09
Luis and Tom, my point is that HW don't show that influence as readily or do quite the same things with it as ELP/Genesis/KC etc. (and perhaps not from the exact same sources either)
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 13:07

Hawkwind are SpaceGods! (On SiIver Bicycles)

Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>