Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering more obscure prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eigthiesbaby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eigthiesbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 20:09
Might not be the right discussion to ask but I've been trying to find a song a friend once played me... Only lyrics I can remember is "Let's take a walk in the park" Definitely prog or prog-related...Female singer with a distinct voice! If anyone has even the slightest idea please let me know!
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 19:50
Although not really obscure, I just wanted to post that I have 'discovered' The Perfect Element Pt.1 by Pain of Salvation. I have a couple of their songs in my playlist and was reading a post about classic prog albums so I thought I'd have a listen. Usually I don't like the 'classic' & must have albums (eg. Genesis Foxtrot) as they sound dated to me but this one has a more modern sound (which I prefer) and it reminds me of Sylvan's Posthumous Silence - another modern classic (underrated IMO).

Good stuff and recommended for those who like the artist I posted at the start of this thread.

Edited by deandob - March 08 2014 at 19:54
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 20:47
^ Not that obscure: http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1#list . It just so happens that people don't talk about the band lately on the forum.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 08 2014 at 20:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 11:27
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

All,
Thanks to this site and progressiveears I have discovered a lot of new prog music, and I've become a bit addicted to seeking out new music. 

Seeking out "new music" means that you have to forget anything you have heard or learned before, or you will never get the accptance necessary to be able to enjoy, understand and appreciate something totally different and unlike anything that you have already heard in your life experience.

It becomes "MOS" as it is known in radio. More of the Same.

If you want new music, MOS has to go out the door! Now!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 14:12
Not that obscure, but I noticed no one said anything about Mostly Autumn, which based on your list you might enjoy. First five albums are all highly recommended.

Also, if you haven't yet dig into Discipline, this year's release (This One's For England - a live album) is a great place to start.
Bigger on the inside.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 07:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Seeking out "new music" means that you have to forget anything you have heard or learned before, or you will never get the accptance necessary to be able to enjoy, understand and appreciate something totally different and unlike anything that you have already heard in your life experience.

It becomes "MOS" as it is known in radio. More of the Same.

If you want new music, MOS has to go out the door! Now!

Very true, I'm now listening to a lot more diverse music, especially heavier metal which 10 years back I would never have given the time to.

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Not that obscure, but I noticed no one said anything about Mostly Autumn, which based on your list you might enjoy. First five albums are all highly recommended.
Also, if you haven't yet dig into Discipline, this year's release (This One's For England - a live album) is a great place to start.

I have checked out a few of their earlier albums, I really like Before the Storm Pt 1 from Unfolded Like Staircase

Edited by deandob - March 10 2014 at 07:16
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:57
There used to be a Progressive Rock and Electronic music scene in Mexico...and I refer to past tense because I am unaware if it still exists today. Jorge Reyes (RIP)...worked in Prog bands and released several electronic/Prog albums. One of my favorites being ..Cronica De Castas. J.L. Fernandez' Al Filo is an outstanding release. The music even crosses into the style of "Chamber Rock" and is worth looking in to. I also like Carlos Alvardo and a Avant-Garde experimental unit called 1870.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 23:16
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

There used to be a Progressive Rock and Electronic music scene in Mexico...and I refer to past tense because I am unaware if it still exists today. Jorge Reyes (RIP)...worked in Prog bands and released several electronic/Prog albums. One of my favorites being ..Cronica De Castas. J.L. Fernandez' Al Filo is an outstanding release. The music even crosses into the style of "Chamber Rock" and is worth looking in to. I also like Carlos Alvardo and a Avant-Garde experimental unit called 1870.

Nahuatl was some trippy stuff (involved Reyes), and Aleacion 0.720's eponymous was an interesting one-off. Same for Caja de Pandora.

At ProgFest 2000, we were treated to fest openers Codice, and everyone thought they were pretty good. They didn't bring Marisa Calderon with them so they operated as a predominantly instrumental unit with dual keyboards, guitar, bass and drums. They never released anything beyond Alba Y Ocaso.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 18:01
Wanted to post about a new 'discovery', Norwegian band soup. They have a mix of atmospheric prog rock a little like the new Edison's Children release, with the album Children of ELB being the pick for me (other 2 albums also good but a little more alt-rock).

Edited by deandob - April 17 2014 at 18:03
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 05:26
I recently found an excellent resource for modern prog releases that I wanted to share, and a good source for discovering the more obscure prog rock.

http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/

Very comprehensive listing by month and year, links to samples and a short précis of the genre. Going through this list will keep you busy for a couple of hours!
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 05:32
While I'm posting in this thread, here are a couple more bands that I have recently found and like:

Polish band loonypark (female front singer)

Raised by Swans - a Canadian multi-instrumentalist Eric Howden who is really talented but does not get much exposure. Check out these tracks.

Also, if you like the music I'm posting in this thread, do post any similar recommendations of your own.

Edited by deandob - May 08 2014 at 05:45
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 01:30
Posting more obscure prog artists I have found & like. First is from my neck of the woods, and I saw them supporting Anathema earlier this week during their first Australian tour.

Kent from Sweden (not really prog but they have catchy tunes)

Another from Scandinavia (Norway). Nordagust. Quite dark & melancholy.

I keep on stumbling onto Polish bands. There is a rich prog scene in that country and I like most of what I hear. Here is State Urge.

More from Scandinavia (Finland) - A lot of their prog is moody. The Chant, with a new album out and their back catalogue also worth checking out.

Here is another from The Chant - A number of their tracks have been top of my playlist for a couple of months now.

From Chile, a delightful neo/symphonic track from Aisles (2009 - In Sudden Walks) and one of my favourite prog tracks.

Maybe not so obscure - Archive. Again from You All Look The Same To Me (2002).

Here is a Swedish prog/fusion group Brother Ape. Very catchy tunes.

These are some of the top tracks in my playlist that I have recently discovered. I'm posting these here (and the purpose of this thread) is to share some of the less talked about prog that hopefully introduces others to new prog music. As well, if you like my tastes, please suggest some of your more obscure prog that I may like!

Enjoy :-)

Edited by deandob - August 24 2014 at 04:20
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 11:33
I'd like to recommend Boiling Fowls the debut album (2014) by Cheeto's Magazine.
steve2603 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve2603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:57
Kayo Dot. Listen to Humbardo and thank me later
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 14:24
Just my opinion but if you want quality obscure prog rock my suggestion is to explore older stuff from the international bands(including obscure US and UK though). Too many people get caught up in the flavor of the week. I'm not saying there aren't any good newer bands out there but it seems that the older ones get passed over because they aren't promoted or talked about as much. Some examples would be Maxophone, Pulsar, Far East Family Band, Semiramis, England, Cathedral(US 70's), Atoll, Solaris, Mirthrandir, Finch, Druid, Gryphon, the list goes on and on. There are tons and tons. I don't mean just from the seventies either but I would probably start there. If you are a symph fan then click on symph prog in the top prog section to narrow it down and click on what years you want. Other sources besides this website for finding obscure prog would be GEPR. net, gnosis2000.net, and synphonic for starters.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Just my opinion but if you want quality obscure prog rock my suggestion is to explore older stuff from the international bands(including obscure US and UK though). Too many people get caught up in the flavor of the week. I'm not saying there aren't any good newer bands out there but it seems that the older ones get passed over because they aren't promoted or talked about as much. Some examples would be Maxophone, Pulsar, Far East Family Band, Semiramis, England, Cathedral(US 70's), Atoll, Solaris, Mirthrandir, Finch, Druid, Gryphon, the list goes on and on. There are tons and tons. I don't mean just from the seventies either but I would probably start there. If you are a symph fan then click on symph prog in the top prog section to narrow it down and click on what years you want. Other sources besides this website for finding obscure prog would be GEPR. net, gnosis2000.net, and synphonic for starters.
Good list of bands there.....

Approve
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:57
Walk In The Park......

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 01:56
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 22:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Good list of bands there.....

Approve

There's a few more I listed on the previous page back in December that weren't on here. Put them all together and you have an even better list. Of course there are newer bands who play in the classic style who should be considered such as Anglagard, Nexus, Wobbler, White Willow, La Maschera Di Cera, Gosta Berlings Saga, Future Kings of England etc etc.
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hnrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 02:54
I'd recommend Causa Sui, especially the 'Euporie Tide' album, it is brilliant retro instrumental prog. It was a great discovery for me! If you like that, there is loads of other interesting stuff going on also on the danish 'El Pariaso' label.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>