Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering more obscure prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 15:32
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Just my opinion but if you want quality obscure prog rock my suggestion is to explore older stuff from the international bands(including obscure US and UK though). Too many people get caught up in the flavor of the week. I'm not saying there aren't any good newer bands out there but it seems that the older ones get passed over because they aren't promoted or talked about as much. Some examples would be Maxophone, Pulsar, Far East Family Band, Semiramis, England, Cathedral(US 70's), Atoll, Solaris, Mirthrandir, Finch, Druid, Gryphon, the list goes on and on. There are tons and tons. I don't mean just from the seventies either but I would probably start there. If you are a symph fan then click on symph prog in the top prog section to narrow it down and click on what years you want. Other sources besides this website for finding obscure prog would be GEPR. net, gnosis2000.net, and synphonic for starters.
Good list of bands there.....

Approve

There's a few more I listed on the previous page back in December that weren't on here. Put them all together and you have an even better list. Of course there are newer bands who play in the classic style who should be considered such as Anglagard, Nexus, Wobbler, White Willow, La Maschera Di Cera, Gosta Berlings Saga, Future Kings of England etc etc.

Those are all good bands,   the only one I don't have is DiCera.
I really like Wobbler, White Willow, and FKOE......also really like a band called Astra.
Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 02:49
2014 has been a good year for prog. Here are a number of 'tunes' that I have discovered over the last 2 months, mostly new releases (I seek out newer bands, I don't enjoy most music from before 1990 anymore, even though I grew up in the 60s/70s).

For fans of airbag (Norwegian band in the ilk of Pink Floyd) here is the solo album from the lead guitarist (Bjorn Riis - Lullabies in a car crash). Very impressive and polished, great guitar work. I like this one better than previous airbag albums. Definitely a recommended listen if you like the music I have been posting in this thread.

Speaking of Pink Floyd (and not so obscure), the latest album doesn't overly float my boat but the following track is OK (Bjorn's solo effort is better IMO)

Fish on Friday (a little more alt-rock than prog rock but quite listenable)

Here is one from no-man from the album Together We're Strangers. I have a number of their albums but for some reason I missed this one, and it is one of their best. Lots of atmosphere and somewhat similar to Steve Wilson/PT.

Presto Ballet (Piece Amongst the Ruins) from 4 years back

IZZ should have a new album out soon. The last one was very good, here is a track:

Lunatic Soul (from the front man of Riverside) has a new album out, full of atmosphere and features high on my repeat playlist - worth investigating further

iamthemorning also have a new album out, belighted. Here is a track quite different to the old material, heavier (the rest of the album is softer, more classical orientated but still prog rock). Definitely worth a listen (especially for the talented lead vocalist Marjana Semkina).

Yet another new release - The Pineapple Thief, Magnolia. This album is up with best of their discography and another recommended listen.

Lastly and not least, the new album from Opeth, Damnation, which I find is more consistent than their previous few releases.

Hope you enjoy these tracks as much as I do. Please do suggest and post other perhaps more obscure prog artists along the same vein as the music I have been posting. Thanks!

Edited by deandob - November 09 2014 at 03:32
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 10:18

There's a few more I listed on the previous page back in December that weren't on here. Put them all together and you have an even better list. Of course there are newer bands who play in the classic style who should be considered such as Anglagard, Nexus, Wobbler, White Willow, La Maschera Di Cera, Gosta Berlings Saga, Future Kings of England etc etc.

I really like Wobbler, White Willow, and FKOE......also really like a band called Astra.
Cool

Astra's pretty awesome. La Maschera di Cera is one of Fabio Zuffanti's bands and one of the very best "modern retro" bands of the last 10 or so years.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 11:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Cool

Astra's pretty awesome. La Maschera di Cera is one of Fabio Zuffanti's bands and one of the very best "modern retro" bands of the last 10 or so years.

Thanks for the heads up...I'll listen to them today.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 12:36
Thanks for the heads up on a new The Pineapple Thief album. Big smile

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00885%20-%20The%20Pineapple%20Thief%20-%20Magnolia

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 09 2014 at 12:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'PiphanyRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 08:56
I think you could like A Silver mt. Zion, especially their 2011's album, Kollaps Tradixionales.

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:20
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3176
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 17:59
Three Silver mt. Zion - broody with atmosphere, interesting, will explore them further, thanks.
Robert Erdesz - also interesting prog folk.

Here are a couple more found this week:

This one is quite obscure, similar to Porcupine Tree

Here is another obscure artist that I have posted previously in this thread, Raised by Swans (Canadian singer songwriter), from his new album Oxnadalur. Jump to 22 mins into the clip.

Edited by deandob - November 21 2014 at 18:04
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 10:29
My favourites in 2014.

Franc Carducci from Holland

New EP (studio album will be in 2015)

ABEL GANZ from Scotland

Lee Saunders from UK. It's like 2-nd part of "The Wall". Revue of R.Waters site http://www.rogerwaters.org/prompeace.html

New album of Peter Gee (Pendragon). Vocal Steve Thorne

JEFF GREEN from Ireland. Vocal Sean Filkins

Stewart Bell (Citizen Cain)

Solaris from Hungary. Previous album was 14 years ago

Elbow from UK

Salander from UK. 3 albums in 2014!!! Big smile

Innerspace from Canada

Lee Abraham from UK

Steve Rothery (Marillion )

Duncan Patterson (Anathema)

The Samurai of Prog from Italy

Edited by RoadLASER - November 29 2014 at 05:19
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 11:01
The best way to find amazing obscure prog...

block out a full day of your life.

Go to RIO/Avant.

Go through the entire list. Give every single band about 2-5 minutes of your time. Write down all the ones that truly interest you. Go back to that list. Give each band on that list about a half hour of your time. The ones that stick with you, write those down now. Suddenly you have a new list of insane great bands that very few people on this planet care about. :)
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'PiphanyRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 11:09
^This should be a page on WikiHow: how to discover obscure prog rock in 8 steps.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 14:05
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Go to RIO/Avant.

Go through the entire list. Give every single band about 2-5 minutes of your time. Write down all the ones that truly interest you. Go back to that list. Give each band on that list about a half hour of your time. The ones that stick with you, write those down now. Suddenly you have a new list of insane great bands that very few people on this planet care about. :)

ThisClap. Obviously, there are a lot of interesting bands in other subgenres too, but people as a whole seem to stick with a few names only.

In any case, even if it does sound like tooting my own horn, if you click on the second link in my signature (the one that says "weekend prog"), you will find a veritable treasure trove of new music - most of which is quite obscure.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 17:42
Thanks especially to roadLASER, some interesting bands to explore - BTW your links aren't working well, you need to imbed youtube link with ["tube"]"youtube_URL"["/tube"]  (remove the quotation marks).

For the RIO/Avant fans, try this one from Kayo Dot's new album

And Raff's link http://weekendprog.blogspot.fr/ has mini reviews and links to new music to try, I have bookmarked this, thanks for sharing!

Edited by deandob - November 28 2014 at 18:05
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 05:54
Freedom To Glide from UK.

Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 17:33
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Go to RIO/Avant.

I recently listened to YouTube excerpts from every album on the site rated above 4.0 by more than 100 people, plus a good number of others that caught my eye for whatever reason. Took me a week and I believe I grabbed all of the cream of the crop. But surely there are many gems I missed, either because they didn't fit those criteria or I didn't give the music enough time. I hope to find everything worth listening to eventually.

Edited by Stereolab - December 02 2014 at 17:33
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 02:23
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

I recently listened to YouTube excerpts from every album on the site rated above 4.0 by more than 100 people, plus a good number of others that caught my eye for whatever reason.

This is the best way to miss something interesting LOL Many albums are rated 3.0 or lower, and the
number of ratings may be smallMoreover, it may be that You only listen to mainstream music.
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 14:37
Originally posted by RoadLASER RoadLASER wrote:

Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

I recently listened to YouTube excerpts from every album on the site rated above 4.0 by more than 100 people, plus a good number of others that caught my eye for whatever reason.

This is the best way to miss something interesting LOL Many albums are rated 3.0 or lower, and the
number of ratings may be smallMoreover, it may be that You only listen to mainstream music.

Maybe, but I don't have time to systematically listen to everything in my lifetime, that's for sure. If I see specific recommendations in threads, on progstreaming, and so on, I will listen to those opportunistically.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:00
I agree, and do similar. Spend a couple of hours a week 'relaxing' looking & listening to new prog tunes while doing other work on my PC. You do miss some gems because for some music it takes a couple of listens to however there isn't enough time available to give everything a chance. But for bands (and sub-genres) that click with me after listening to them for a while I will go back and explore their back catalogue and similar artists.

That is why I'm posting some of the 'gems' I have discovered in this thread to make it easier for others to discover, and thanks to those doing the same thing (embedding youtube clips helps also, just a click away to sample a new tune). I do find amazing the diversity of recommendations, to be frank only about 20% have an appeal to me - but I suppose life would be dull if everyone had the same tastes. But still 20% is great and I have added significantly to my playlist based on recommendations on this site (& progressiveears).

Other useful resources I use is progstreaming, and I have posted earlier about a german guy who reviews literally hundreds of new prog releases each month (in English) with commentary about style, similarity to other artists etc. with links that make it easy to sample. It is a great archive going back 4 years also. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/.

I don't get much joy from streaming sites like Pandora and Spotify that have 'radio stations' where they automatically queue up supposedly similar bands, although I am a big Spotify user due to the convenience and massive catalogue (and I do buy CDs / paid downloads as well). I have a huge prog playlist on Spotify that I have curated over the years, basically when using Spotify to hop around sampling tunes if I hear a tune I like the first impressions of (and some tunes only get about 20 seconds!) I save it to the playlist then after a while come back to the playlist and listen to these songs a couple of times over a day or two, and the ones that I end up liking more get saved to my regular playlist and get listened to long term.

If you are interested and use spotify, here is Spotify link to the playlist where I save the first impression samples: Prog Rock (large collection here), and here is the favourites playlist: Starred (also some alt-rock, post rock & chillout). You will notice the vast majority of the music is from the last 10 years with a bias to melodic and dark/moody but a good mix of soft to hard/metal.

Do post your favourite ways of discovering new (or not so new) prog tunes, and what resources like blogs and forums you use.
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 05:51
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

Other useful resources I use is progstreaming, and I have posted earlier about a german guy who reviews literally hundreds of new prog releases each month (in English) with commentary about style, similarity to other artists etc. with links that make it easy to sample. It is a great archive going back 4 years also. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/.

I agree!
I spend about 20 minutes every 2 days to see this 2 sites.
In the first, you can listen to music.

At
second seen many future releases.
Also, there are brief reviews and samples
As an example. I found an excellent band The Blue Sheep. If the album does not appear on progstreaming, I would never have known about this group, because nowhere is there even a mention of this one.

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00955%20-%20The%20Blue%20Ship%20-%20The%20Executioner%60s%20Lover
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 06:00
Just a small request: Can we please cool it with the YouTube vids?
It's just that there are some members who use slow internet connections, and when pages start to have this many vids included, it then takes a year to load.
ThanksSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 29>