Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering more obscure prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 01:55
Here is a new release from German progressive band Soundtology. Their album Undone is very melodic and a pleasure to listen to.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 11:29
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

Hi Neo-Romantic.

Haven't given VDGG much thought having put them in the 70's progr rock bracket and I much prefer modern prog, but given your recommendation after seeing my list I will give them a closer listen.

I have 1 song from Discipline in my favourites - Before the Storm Part 1 (unfolded like Staircase) so I'll need to check them out further.

Likewise Anglagard, they aren't on Spotify (where I do most of my music discovery) so I'll have to hunt them down elsewhere.

There is so much to choose from so it's hard to spend the time listening to somewhat random bands hoping to find one that warrants further time listening. So thanks for the more direct recommendations!

If anyone is interested I have about 1500 prog tracks in a Spotify playlist, can be accessed here:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1241861938/playlist/0VK2eKF32wOjb1mgUijXQd

I am just the opposite to you: I mostly dislike modern prog. It is too "brav", to use a German word which is difficult to translate; the meaning is somewhere between "well-behaved" and "plain". Early prog was much more adventurous and unconventional.

Here but a few examples of what I mean:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 12:49
What's considered 'obscure' these days.. old or new...? With places like PA everything is mentioned, obscure or not.
Confused

I saw a listing on you tube that said Web , Circus, and Marsupilami were obscure......is that correct?
BTW....Web- I Spider is a favorite of mine...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 15:11
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

What's considered 'obscure' these days.. old or new...? With places like PA everything is mentioned, obscure or not.
Confused

I saw a listing on you tube that said Web , Circus, and Marsupilami were obscure......is that correct?
BTW....Web- I Spider is a favorite of mine...

I don't consider these artist obscure at all, but for the originator of this thread they obviously are.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 00:42

Well, quite an impressive number of obscure prog rock bands & artists so far (But I wonder how can anything be obscure here?) So I'll throw in my 2 cents-

Wigwam - "Fairyport" (1971-72)

My vinyl copy is so worn and tattered I should pursue to find a CD version - From Finland this double album is truly a forgotten gem with some Canterbury jazz and Progressive rock influences is Wigwam's most inspiring album  with nice keyboards by Jukka Gustavsons-
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 03:35
I suppose where this thread has gone isn't so much obscure but the opportunity to discover bands that you may not have heard before.
Thanks BaldFriede for all the links, you are correct that I have very different tastes to yours (but you knew that from the music I posted) although I appreciate the opportunity to try different music I wouldn't normally listen to. I grew up in the 70's where I was exposed to a lot of that music but have lost interest in the general style of 70's progressive rock, even if it is more experimental than today's prog rock incarnation. 

Quote I don't consider these artist obscure at all, but for the originator of this thread they obviously are.
I am aware of all the bands you have posted except the first 2, just not interested in that style of music so I don't post about them.

Rando, the Wigwam album is very listenable, thanks for posting!

Edited by deandob - November 16 2015 at 03:36
trili View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 07:44
This is Vy, from San Juan Puerto Rico:  https://soundcloud.com/gaby-vidal/sets/vy-2
https://oddjohnhawkins.bandcamp.com

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 08:23
^That Vy track was nice.....interesting mix of styles.

I like older prog ...early and proto prog things (similar to a few things BaldFriede posted above) , though I also listen to modern prog.
Here are some 'obscure' bands though most seasoned PA members will know these groups. Again this is not new polished stuff so be warned.

Czar
Jody Grind-Far Canal
Mogul Thrash
Fusion Orchestra-Skeleton in Armor
Home-The Alchemist
Fantasy- Beyond the beyond

A clip from Fusion Orchestra....not for the faint hearted.....

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 09:52
here's a list of bands, I wouldn't call obscure, just not that well known:
Deja Vu
Minotaurus
Atlantis
Pancake
Indian Summer
Blackwater Park
Redd
Epidaurus
Riff Raff
Cargo
Druid
Carpe Diem
Aardvark
Syncrisis
Mr Albert Show
Atlas
Finch
Jose Cid
Mad Puppet
Sebastian Hardie/Windchase
Gilgamesh
Asia Minor

and I'm sure there are more, I'll get back with some videos if you want me to.
Malcolm G View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 15:37
Interesting playlist - I've just followed, and am listening now. Thanks.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2015 at 19:07
For those still interested in this thread I have created a summary playlist that samples a lot of modern prog (emphasis on dark, heavy and melodic). Over 700 songs and includes a lot of the titles posted in this thread.

Edited by deandob - December 30 2015 at 19:12
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:12

Been a while since I posted in this thread some of the new and/or more obscure tracks that I have recently discovered. Here are a few more youtube links that you can sample.

Red Bazar, Tales from the Bookcase - English neo/contemporary prog in the style of Big Big Train and Nine Stone Close.

New one from Huis, Neither in Heaven, neo prog.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:12

Exovex, Radio Silence - a new group with a number of very experienced band members like Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree.

Siegmen, Enola - Nordic band (sung in Norwegian)

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:13

Not really prog but a very catchy electronica tune from Lights & Motion albumm of a couple of years back, Reanimation

Esfera, all the colours of madness - just released

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:13

Something a bit harder (with growling). Amiensus from the album a couple of years ago Restoration

Some post rock. Exxasens from last year's album Back to Earth

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Aisles, Club Hawaii - A band from Chile I have posted about previously. I really like a number of their tracks but I don't find their albums consistent.

Long Distance Calling, Trips. New Album. Harder with post rock tendancies.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Haken, Initiate. Another new Album.

Tell Amarosa, With these Hands from last year. This track has an excellent overdub from Charlie Chaplin's movie Last Dictator.

Edited by deandob - April 09 2016 at 23:16
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:14

VOLA, Homesick Machinary from 7 years back. Catchy tune.

The Chant. Beautiful track from the "Parallel' EP released in 2015. I've posted some of their earlier albums earlier in this thread.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:16

Votum, :Ktonic:. One of my favourite Polish heavy prog bands and some similarities to Riverside. Their new album is good but perhaps not at the same level as their previous release Harvest Moon. Still worth checking out for those who like Riverside.

Amphetamin, A flood of strange sensations. New Album

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:17

Mike Kershaw, Ice Age. New album

Agusa, Hogtid. Scandinavian retro prog. I'm not a great fan of '70's prog but I do like this more modern take.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 29>