Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering more obscure prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 03:48
I was asked to review an album recently by a Brazilian band called Cobalt Blue. Definitely not my kind of bag but I gather folks in here would dig their k-scopian sound:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 04:46
Not for me either Guldbamsen.

K-scope does seem to be a cheerleader for modern prog. btw speaking of k-scope, the new Anathema album is out. Its pretty decent but after a couple of listens maybe not quite reaching the heights of some of the previous albums.

Not a lot of forum traffic for this band who are arguably in the top 5 of popular modern prog bands.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 05:14
I think the prog scene has splintered into a thousand different micro scenes (just like the rest of the musical world), which effectively means that every thread that doesn't pertain to the absolute biggest of household names quickly disappears.
Being into prog these days doesn't necessarily mean you adore Crimson and Yes. It can but often it's because people are into Tool, Radiohead, Muse and Sigur Ros.

As for Anathema: I think they reach their zenith with We're Here Because We're Here and have since then continued to make the same album over and over again. I really dig that album as well as the orchestral Falling Deeper, but I don't need more of the same.
Maybe other folks tend to feel the same.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 05:26
I already heard that Cobalt Blue album. I thought it was good but not enough to put it on my AOTY maybe list (which only has ten albums so far).

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It can but often it's because people are into Tool, Radiohead, Muse and Sigur Ros.
It's certainly not me Sleepy

I only heard "Judgement" from Anathema and it didn't motivate me to keep exploring.

PS: F**k captcha
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 05:36
Yes f**k captcha! Preferably in the wrong hole.

In addition to my earlier post I thought of some prog fan groupings:

K-scope/emo crowd

Old geezers that only listens to OLD prog

Retro crowd

The I'm more avant that you crowd

Druggie psych crowd

Hipster math crowd

80/90s metal geezers

New kids on the block metal crowd (emo and melody)

Jazzmataz crowd

Progressive Prog crowd (is it unoriginal? Go jump in the ocean)

The crowd that doesn't understand the prog stickers and continuously herald Simple Minds and Toto as the finest pork bands ever. This crowd tends to stay with 80s new wave and synthpop.

Last but not least you'll find the odd person who actually digs a little bit of everything. We have at least 5 people on here who are like that.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 22 2017 at 05:38

- Douglas Adams
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 05:49
Well said. Would be interesting to do a poll of who thinks they belong to what prog 'tribe'. From what I read here and especially on PE it would be a split between the old geezers only listening to 70's prog and the I'm more avant than you crowd.

Also agree about Anathema, their latest albums are more of the same (leaning a bit more electronic with subsequent releases), still listenable though. I also think the same about Steven Wilson, he is a prolific artist but nothing terribly interesting lately.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 03:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 03:42

Majestic: Epsilon 1 (USA-2014).
Jeff Hamel's project. (17/20)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45258
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2WVqtEivUc
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 03:23

Brother Ape: Force Majeure (Sweden-2013).
Good music. (17/20)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=40682
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juYmj2MVhk0
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 04:10
Brother Ape - definitely a modern prog favourite. Their new album Karma also worth checking out.

Here is a neo-prog band that is new to me and have been enjoying this week - Drifting Sun. The song below is from their upcoming album Eternal Cycle. Nice work on the production as well.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 04:49
I dig that Brother Ape album Phideauxfan
Really cool young exuberance to the music with but one flaw...which sadly is a rather big one imo: all their albums sound exactly the same. Same melodies, same vocal themes and so forth. Sorta like a Swedish take on the infamous Rolling Stones virus. Friend of mine is a huge fan of theirs and he did this playlist with all Brother Ape tracks one night...and none of us were able to detect any differences when jumping from album to album.
Still what a great album Force Majeure is! I hope they make a new album one day.

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 05:09
Not very original in titling their releases either  - they nicked the title 'Force Majeure' from Tangerine Dream! Unless it's a cover of the original.....
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 06:23
Guldbamsen,

I did just then check their discography and it is true that Brother Ape use similar themes across their albums but the songs have enough variation to still be interesting.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 04:13
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

Brother Ape - definitely a modern prog favourite. Their new album Karma also worth checking out.

I bought the CD Karma a few weeks ago. It is good music !

I also have got the albums Turbulence and Force Majeure. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 04:53

Cosmograf: The Hay-Man Dreams (UK-2017).
Good music, Mister Robin Armstrong ! (17/20)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=54581
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ck-IJ5bew

Edited by PhideauxFan - August 02 2017 at 04:54
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 09:23
[Being into prog these days doesn't necessarily mean you adore Crimson and Yes]

Or ELP or Genesis or any other older prog band for that matter. I'm sure there are younger prog fans who don't even know hardly any of the older bands. I know this is the case because when I go to a prog festival like say Rosfest I see several younger fans there but when I go see Yes there is hardly anyone younger than myself there. My guess is that they get into prog through metal or post rock and have no interest in any of the older bands who they might think of as "classic rock."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 02 2017 at 09:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 04:03

Henry Fool: Men Singing (UK-2013).
With Tim Bowness (No-Man) (18/20).
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=40229
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PR6WnH31tQ
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 03:27

Maybeshewill: Fair Youth (UK-2014).
Instrumental post-rock. (17/20)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=46394
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lIGGvhGz3I
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 03:25

Quantum Fantay: Tessellation Of Euclidean Space (Belgium-2017).
Instrumental psychedelic/space-rock. (17/20)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=54692
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhvKKIbAqxU
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 03:27

Driveby: Zero Son (Austria - Aug 2017)
Progressive Post Rock with Vocals
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 29>