Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 21:47
One of my favorites from QUEEN, from the QUEEN ROCK MONTREAL concert DVD... Freddy really doing his thing...

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 00:28
With Queen their heaviest and most progressive is just fine. A pop song such as "You're MY Best Friend" is as fine a pop song as say The Prophet Song. I think, along with ELO, Queen are the ultimate result of eclectic Beatle-esque influenced pop / rock. Some of the songs are just not rock at all and this may confuse rock fans. Although it would do the same thing in jazz if Be Bop fans heard swing on Miles' albums. But this is freedom for ya...

Seaside Rendezvous is more 1930s vaudeville than 70s rock. It's probably fit on Pepper more. And that is definitely not a 70s rock album, and I don't mean it's date.

I suppose one way of accepting these "odd" numbers on their albums is the same mindset that can be used to take the odd moments in Supper's Ready and understand that to be a great number.

Favourite Queen moment... the Jazz poster and banned video for Bicycle Race...  LOL or the second album. Hard to tell the difference.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 01:01
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I can't stand them.

Heard many albums, even owned quite a few LP's of theirs at some stage, but what ^ said. Dunno what it is, but just can't get into them......
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 08:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I can't stand them.

Heard many albums, even owned quite a few LP's of theirs at some stage, but what ^ said. Dunno what it is, but just can't get into them......
I feel the same way.....I like several of their 'radio hits', but the albums just don't appeal to me.
btw....there was a discussion of campy and kitschy prog rock in another thread and imo they would certainly fit that bill.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 13:04
I have all their 70s albums in one form or another and thought they rocked during that time. 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 21:03

Was a fan during their first 4 albums, lost interest after that.

Really liked Queen II the best of the bunch.  I remember the vinyl album was like twice as thick as a standard album for some reason.

clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 15:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

For me, Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack shine out, Night At The Opera has its moments but half of the album leaves me cold (Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon? 39? Seaside Rendezvous? Good Company? ... really?!)

I tend to agree with this. The first Queen album is pretty good too. The vast majority of Queen tracks are too poppy for me. Orge Battle is my fave Queen track, I love that intro and main riff! Cool

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - March 18 2014 at 15:11
Tony C.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 23:53
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

It's a bit strange to see that discussions about Queen discography are rather scarce here, although it's among the 'biggest' bands on the archives, both commercially (competing with The Beatless, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd) and rating-wise (with two of their albums in Prog-Related top-5). Queen is one of my favourite bands of all time, forming my musical pantheon alongside with King Crimson, Steven Wilson and Peter Hammill.I find Queen's classic albums one of the most interesting releases of good ol' 70's, with Queen II peaking as one of my all-time favourite LP's. Their first five albums are very progressive (in all senses of that word), with a lot of experimentation and surprising eclectism (from music hall to ballad to opera to heavy metal, sometimes all in one song), and it's even very strange that the commercial success have found that band with Bohemian Rhapsody, one of their weirdest songs. Their first albums are full of sudden emotional and stylistic changes, with technically excellent playing and, starting from late 1974, superior production (the first two albums, unfortunately, are not that perfect in terms of sound quality).Although they turned very poppy in 80's, they still remained quite eclectic, and, unlike Rainbow or Uriah Heep, who turned into plain AOR bands, Queen still remained rather unpredictable even on their poppiest albums.My ratings:Queen I — 8/10Queen II — 10/10Sheer Heart Attack — 10/10A Night at the Opera — 10/10A Day at the Races — 10/10News of the World — 7/10Jazz — 8/10The Game — 5/10Flash Gordon — 4/10Hot Space — 7/10The Works — 6/10A Kind of Magic — 6/10The Miracle — 8/10Innuendo — 9/10Made in Heaven — 8/10

Oh wow, ole-the-first
I love Queen, great forum topic. I too think they are brilliant from the obvious bohemian rhapsody to love of my life/too much love will kill you, but not less either the silly songs like bicycle race and fat bottomed girls, love them all.    Also the fact that Queen produced many memorable tunes i.e. we will rock you... they used the drum tune so well here and made it into a tune too.... tum tum tack, tum tum tack, we will, we will rock you..... Freddie's vocals were incredible and heartfelt and Brian May produces the most memorable tunes too!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 20:38
I really enjoy everything from Queen I through A Night at the Opera. After that, there was a song or two of interest per album. Really, they pretty much went straight to hell after A Night at the Opera. One of the greatest cliff dives in rock for me -- their decline or my dislike for their material being precipitous.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 00:11
Originally posted by clarkpegasus4001 clarkpegasus4001 wrote:

I tend to agree with this. The first Queen album is pretty good too. The vast majority of Queen tracks are too poppy for me. Orge Battle is my fave Queen track, I love that intro and main riff! Cool

We have Ogre Battle in common, friend!  I often use that riff to make sure my 6-string is properly tuned.  

Oddly enough, it was Freddie Mercury, and not Brian May, who came up with that riff!  Aw hell, here it is! 

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 03:40
Ironically, after listening to no Queen for a long long time, dug out 'Live Killers' this morning, rocked all the way to work then saw this thread - back in 1979, these guys were on fire on stage (and yes, I know there are many overdubs, but hey...).

Favorite album probably Night At The Opera - everything from all out camp (...Sunday Afternoon), pure prog rock (Prophet Song), folky (39) to pure anger (Death On Two Legs) & all points between.

They went in a different direction during the 1980s but until then, one of my favorite bands of the period

Edited by Jim Garten - March 20 2014 at 03:40

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 11:02
I've always had a hard time getting into Queen.  A little too theatrical and campy for my tastes though I haven't heard Queen II which a lot of people recommend.  Maybe that album will change my mind?  Ermm
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 18:39
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

I've always had a hard time getting into Queen.  A little too theatrical and campy for my tastes though I haven't heard Queen II which a lot of people recommend.  Maybe that album will change my mind?  Ermm
Never was a fan myself and I always thought they were a band that usually had 2 or 3 very good tracks on their albums and the rest of the songs were just so so..imo.
Not an expert on them though my friends played them  quite often in the 70's so I have heard the first 5 or 6 many times.
I suppose Queen 2 or Sheer heart Attack are good places to start...but maybe the Queen fans can offer a better opinion.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 18:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Never was a fan myself and I always thought they were a band that usually had 2 or 3 very good tracks on their albums and the rest of the songs were just so so..imo.
I guess that's why their biggest selling album is Greatest Hits Vol 1.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 18:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I guess that's why their biggest selling album is Greatest Hits Vol 1.
Followed closely by Greatest Hits Vol. 2 and Greatest Hits Vol 3.  (Actually I think that Greatest Hits Vol. 2 may be called Classic Queen, or at least my version is).
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 19:05
News Of The World was the last great album from Queen. The best vocalist of all time possibly?
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Whathefoxtrot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 20:44
It kinda scares me that people from my generation (I'm born in 1992) don't really know about Queen or even know Bohemian Rhapsody. Even someone who isn't that knowledgeable about music like me can get a grasp on Queen. 
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 21:10
Never have liked Queen or even seen what the big attraction was to their music, but I certainly won't be arguing with any Queen fans, because, while I don't enjoy their music, they do possess a certain musicality that is respectable.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 02:03
I was a fan ironically until they released Bohemian Rapsody (wtf was that about?!). I loved them as a hard rock band and Seven Seas Of Rye still does it for me. Roger Taylor had a unique style with the way he uses the bass drum. One of the best single bass drum players ever. As people know (or might guess) I am a fan of Muse and Matt Bellamy and the boys are so obviously massive Queen fans that it almost hurts. Dom tries to get that Taylor bass drum style into his playing but he never quite manages it. I like the fact he at least attempts it though.Cool

Edited by richardh - April 14 2014 at 02:03
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 21:19
I heard Stone Cold Crazy on the Classic Rock station yesterday. My alarm clock radio woke me up with it. I can't believe how heavy that song is. I got the feeling the DJ accidentally played the wrong track. I didn't recognize it at first cuz it's been a long time, but it sure woke me up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12