Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhitechapel (France): Let's start with Neo...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whitechapel (France): Let's start with Neo...
    Posted: December 17 2013 at 06:44
I'm surprised that this band hasn't been suggested before. There are no posts specifically devoted to them, but Eric Neuteboom said this about their sole album here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44617&PID=2722968#2722968 (scroll down - it's a fairly long post):

WHITE CHAPEL – Le Masque D’Arlequin (***)

- The sound from this French five piece on their debut CD entitled Le Masque D’Arlequin reminds me of the ‘Vikings’ of Europe: fluent rhythms featuring propulsive guitar riffs, a heavy rhythm-section and symptuous keyboard layers with lots of room for biting guitar runs and flashy synthesizer flights. But White Chapel has a less polished and more adventurous approach than Europe. The vocals are in French, I am not surprised that in the booklet he mentions Christian Dechamps, singer of the legendary French progrock band Ange. Between the mainly fluent, heavy and bombastic inspired tracks, we can also trace some mellow songs like the dreamy Elixer and the compelling Sarajevo (from the former Yugoslavia), you can feel the emotion about the sad history in the howling runs!

Although White Chapel sounds quite heavy, I won’t describe it as a progmetal band, to me it sounds more as a blend of ‘Gothic’, prog and hardrock/heavy metal, very tasteful and exciting. My rating: 3 stars

Info: http://whitechapel.wifeo.com/multimedia.php

Genre: Heavy Prog.

Well, he says Heavy Prog in that little summary - and indeed there is plenty of heavy material on this album, but to me they weave their way along the somewhat indefinite boundary that lies between Heavy Prog, Neo and Crossover...fitting none properly, but potentially being admissable to any of these subs...in other words - a toughie!

Anyway, Whitechapel were formed in 2004, Choisy-le-Roi, Île-de-France, France.

"WHITECHAPEL plays a Progressive heavy-metal, but in an unusual way. Likely to please the ANGE lovers as well as the average DREAM THEATER fan, this new French band combines sophisticated pieces with elaborate atmospheres, heavy guitar riffs, and theatrical vocals ala Christian DECAMPS or Dominique Le GUENNEC. The lyrics (In French, indeed !) and the singing are excellent, suggestive and strong, just like the melodies. The group deals with themes like ghosts, kings and fools, masks, but also war, drugs or politics. The musicians are full of power and precision in their playing, and this album is a complete success, with a high level of intensity. You're going to hear about these guys, so don't miss them !"

Features ex-members of the french bands ECLIPSE and SACRIFICE
The band's official website is still live at: http://whitechapel.wifeo.com/ (some short samples on the multimedia tab).

Le Masque D'Arlequin (2006)

1. Au Nom Du Père (7'31)
2. Le Flûtiste (5'40)
3. Mélissandre (6'17)
4. WhiteChapel (6'50)
5. Elixir (4'26)
6. Pleine Lune (4'34)
7. Le Masque D'Arlequin (7'43)
8. Echec Et Mat (5'44)
9. Les Enfants De La Nuit (5'22)
10. Sarajevo (5'02)
11. Ailleurs (5'11)

Total Time 64:25

Fabrice Altairac / vocals
Lawrence Isola / guitars
Greg Iung / keyboards
Raphael Rigaud / bass
Thierry Thuane / drums

Musea Parallele Records, August 2006

This came from the news page (Actualité et projets...) page on their website - from early 2009:

"With no news of Greg (Keyboard) we are forced to find a replacement, things are moving .... and time passes ... patiently working.

58000 connections on myspace soon! May 2010 The new keyboard (Regis) works to enable us to hit the road studio and stage. Humpback group and it runs well ... Like what we must never lose hope, when we want to believe ... Prepare your ears! October 2012 After months and months of galleys ... and reflection .... Happy to announce that the band has just finished recording an album 10 titles in English with a new singer ( Arnaud) and thanks to the support of David (sound engineer) must now find a label to follow ..."

The band's myspace pages no longer exist - you just get re-directed to the myspace homepage. Unhappy

Whitechapel on Proggnosis:
http://www.proggnosis.com/ARTIST_DETAIL.aspx?AID=7577 (the album is also reviewed on there).

Listen to the album here:

Whitechapel on RYM (another review there): http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/whitechapel_f1

As suggested above in the news entry on the website, a second album (sung in English) was finished in October 2012, samples were uploaded to myspace: http://www.myspace.com/601469554/music (no longer functioning), & there was talk of it being released under a new band name - a record label to handle it was actually being sought - but there the trail fizzles out, and the website now appears to be very much 'in limbo'.  Ermm

Guitarist Lawrence Isola and drummer Thierry Thuane are currently playing in a new progressive rock band called 'Ghost Opera': http://www.reverbnation.com/ghostopera4 and https://www.facebook.com/Ghost.Opera.Rockband, so it appears that the line-up changes finally got the better of Whitechapel!

And that's it for now! Tongue

If no comments appear here within a couple of days, I'll send a p.m. to one of the Neo lads to set the ball rolling...but I feel it may roll for some considerable distance before it finally comes to rest!! LOL

Edited by yam yam - December 17 2013 at 07:01
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 17:17
It looks as though they were rejected by the Heavy team a couple of years ago  http://progfreak.com/Whitechapel--151302.html?path=pa/recent
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 17:20
In Japan we can use neither Spotify nor Rdio sadly ... now checking their official but too shorty for me to evaluate.

Like you, their short samples say they can be fit for Neo, but ... Unhappy
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 18:20
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

It looks as though they were rejected by the Heavy team a couple of years ago  http://progfreak.com/Whitechapel--151302.html?path=pa/recent
Yes indeed - the very same Whitechapel (there are a few others too). I never searched for them on progfreak because the thought that they might have been previously evaluated and rejected never even entered my head - that's how convinced I was that they belonged on here! Embarrassed

Oh well - just shows how wrong I can be, I guess! (I would not have personally put them in Heavy Prog, but I would certainly have voted 'move' rather than 'reject' - even if it was only to Crossover.

Gonna send Keishiro something to listen to anyway, & if he decides the band isn't fit for PA too, then I will accept the decision graciously. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 03:20
Well, Neo team had a listen to the album, and all members agreed that Crossover was more the appropriate sub, the vote was a 'move' one, so now we wait for Crossover's verdict at 'the last chance saloon'... Tongue

Anyone interested can follow the evaluation at the progfreak link given previously.

Edit: I notice that Crossover is now back up to full strength as a five-man team, with tszirmay having joined their ranks at some time over recent days. A big welcome to Thomas from me - it means that the team now boasts four 5-star Special Collaborators, all with the privilege of being able to add artists. Their backlog should soon start to clear even faster - with Kev Rowland aleady having made great strides towards getting things back in shape over the last 2-3 weeks. Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - January 07 2014 at 03:38
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 22:13
Oh my word! There's more moves on here than an average night at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom!!  Shocked

Whitechapel.

DateUserChartAction
8hMartyMcFly89Crossover (MartyMcFly89)
23hkevrowlandCrossover (kevrowland)
4dkevrowlandCrossover-> New
5dpsarrosNeo-> Move
5dMattiNeo (Matti)
11dDamoXt7942Neo (DamoXt7942)
11dDamoXt7942Neo-> New
2yandyman1125Heavy-> Rejected
2yNightflyHeavy (Nightfly)
2yIncaProgHeavy (IncaProg)
3yNightflyHeavy (Nightfly)
3ybonnekHeavy (bonnek)
3yandyman1125Heavy (andyman1125)
3yandyman1125Heavy-> New

But they've already been rejected in Heavy...and Neo don't want them...so where can they moved to next? The band certainly isn't Symphonic...or Eclectic...or any other sub on here, really. If these 'moves' were on a chessboard I think we'd have to call it off as a stalemate! LOL
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 02:14
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Oh my word! There's more moves on here than an average night at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom!!  Shocked

Whitechapel.

DateUserChartAction
8hMartyMcFly89Crossover (MartyMcFly89)
23hkevrowlandCrossover (kevrowland)
4dkevrowlandCrossover-> New
5dpsarrosNeo-> Move
5dMattiNeo (Matti)
11dDamoXt7942Neo-> New
2yandyman1125Heavy-> Rejected
2yNightflyHeavy (Nightfly)
2yIncaProgHeavy (IncaProg)
3yNightflyHeavy (Nightfly)
3ybonnekHeavy (bonnek)
3yandyman1125Heavy (andyman1125)
3yandyman1125Heavy-> New

But they've already been rejected in Heavy...and Neo don't want them...so where can they moved to next? The band certainly isn't Symphonic...or Eclectic...or any other sub on here, really. If these 'moves' were on a chessboard I think we'd have to call it off as a stalemate! LOL
Hold on, because we are discussing this with the Xover brothers at this point...more updates to come whan things get a bit cleared.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 08:19
^  Good man!  Thumbs Up
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 01:32
Matti changed his vote to yes, band is already cleared in Neo.

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 06:30
and added: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8669

Post Reply Post Reply