Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLáquesis (Argentina): Symph/Heavy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Láquesis (Argentina): Symph/Heavy?
    Posted: December 25 2013 at 15:00

First introduced to the site by the band's bass player on 8th November this year, and shuffled off into the 'Welcome artists' forum: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95842, I think this band most definitely deserves a place on here.

The CD referred to in that post is the debut outing by this Argentine quintet established in the city of Rosario (province of Santa Fe), which has really made a name for itself within Progressive/Symphonic Rock and Prog Fusion circles with a very contemporary-sounding style. The group's music is dynamic, varied and mostly instrumental, and also featuring sporadic passages tinted with shades of Hard Rock and Jazz-influenced climaxes.

Self-titled album released by Viajero Inmovil Records, November 2013:

1. Efecto Placebo (7:15)
2. Tema X (5:27)
3. Hamacamatic (8:22)
4. Puesta del sol (12:08)
5. Lemuria (6:41)
6. Laquesis (5:40)
7. Cloto (3:30)
8. Atropos (3:48)
9. Requiem (3:11)

Total Time 56:01

- Diego Actis / keyboards
- Guillermo Caminer / guitars
- Ariel Loza / bass and vocals
- Martín Teglia / drums and percussion
- Martin Puntonet / vocals and chorus

Third movement of "Las Moiras" from the DVD of the progressive rock band Láquesis from Rosario, Argentina - 2009:

Introducing the Rosario progressive rock band Láquesis in Underground, the city of La Plata (Argentina),  November 5, 2011:

Argentina progressive rock band from Rosario who had the honor of opening the La Plata Prog Festival 2011 on September 2 in the Pasaje Dardo Rocha:

Recorded live at the Festival of Progressive Rock " Progrerock " - Rosario - Argentina - 2009 (more info in this topic:

On Sunday October 28th 2012 was held the final of the 'Check In' competion in Pugliese, Rosario.
('Check In' is a band contest organized by MEDIA PRODUCTIONS (recording and production musical) that had been running since April that year). With Rosarinas bands of very good standard, it was a day to enjoy pure local music. The bands who had the unexpected pleasure, they say, to reach the Pugliese final, were: Alondra, Efecto Tyndall and Rush Hotel (rock) ; Dharma Style (reggae ), Láquesis (progressive rock / symphonic) . They all had their 20 minutes of fame (or three songs on stage) as a limit, which included their own compositions and a cover:

I'm very tempted to send a link to this post to Iván's inbox...just to see what he thinks of it.  Embarrassed

Edit: I did anyway... Evil Smile

Edited by yam yam - December 25 2013 at 15:25
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 07:37
Already has two positive votes in Symphonic.

Scott and Myself

We both are thrilled, great band

One more vote and they are in.

Iván

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 07:45
Yeah thanks for this yam yam - this is truly a great band and very Symphonic for my ears!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 11:36
Not a problem, guys - glad you both enjoyed it! Smile

Anyone else who enjoyed this music might want to have a look at another band from the same town, with a fairly similar style, called La BarcaThumbs Up
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 11:48
Looking forward to this one, David! I've got the CD ready to go in my next Syn-phonic Music order! What a beautiful cover too!

Can you please tell me, no chance you picked up a copy of a CD on the same label called:

ALTABLANCA - EN VIVO MENDOZA (1981) (MINI LP SLEEVE)

"Previously unreleased symph/prog from 1981 with some great keyboards and musicianship all around"

https://soundcloud.com/Altablanca

I've already got this one at home, just haven't listened to it yet, but was curious if you knew much about it, because of the recent bands from Argentina you've suggested?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 13:36

No Michael - I haven't got this one yet, but it's on the shopping list! Smile

Here's a bit of info/review google-translated from Spanish from here: http://autopoietican.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/altablanca-el-legado-de-la-primera.html

Altablanca - the legacy of the first generation progressive Mendoza:

Today is a very special time because we display to Altablanca, Argentina side which emerged as one of the vital progressive forces Mendoza circuit between 1976 and 1983. His proposal was sound beautiful and energetic, determined with technical ease and executed with a unique creativity, and luckily it is not buried in the memory of those generations who saw action for the seal Stationary Traveler, thanks to the hard work of Mario Mátar (former guitarist) and Erni Vidal, held in La Vizcachera Studio, just released “En vivo Mendoza ‘81” a recording of two concerts that took place in the Altablanca Mendoza Independence Theatre on November 16, 1981. The formation of that time consisted of: Mario Mátar on guitar, Daniel Martín on flute and guitar, Jorge Aguerre on bass, the keyboardist was Jorge Zangheri, and Susana ‘Turca’ Nalldi  was on vocals and acoustic guitar. Since its formation in 1976, prior to this concert times, had passed through the band's bassist Javier Segura, flautist Paul Romagnoli, guitarist Daniel González (in tandem with Mátar), bassist Daniel Soria, Natalio Faingold (who started as a drummer and then transitioned to the role of keyboardist), drummer Eduardo Aveni, etc..

Rescue work, further editing and mastering was completed in two stages: first, between 2000 and 2005 inclusive, while Mátar and Vidal were active in the  ZONDA PROJECKT  (another great assembly Mendoza), and then, from 2010, was resumed the affair that lasted until this year 2013. More details about this heroic process of "progressive archeology" of this material can be read in the interview Erni Vidal published in the Journal 'Uno': http://www.diariouno.com.ar/espectaculos/El-legado-de-Altablanca-toma-forma-30-aos-despues-20130717-0002.html. For our part, we review the repertoire of the disc now, okay?

‘Preludio II’  starts Altablanca machinery with a halo Cameliana managed and developed an envelope and poignant lyricism: the central motif is exploited on a continuum that never runs out. Then follows ‘El Burlón De La Floresta’, in a slightly less space than 4 minutes displaying a colorful and playful dynamism where the complexities of the rhythmic pattern of inspiration fusionesca develop with complete ease. ‘El Vértice Del Peine’  is one of the defining moments of this summit catalog: indeed, its central body, which sounds like a hybrid of RETURN TO FOREVER and YES, imposes a force compelling character through its intricate sonic architecture . The rhythm duo shines in a special way here, allowing tremendous showcasing kill count on a solid support. But ... just when the listener needs a moment of respite from this massive deployment of purely progressive splendor, comes ‘Paso a La Vida’, an ambitious divided into two large parts composition that together add up to a duration of 16 minutes. Part 1 develops a warm atmosphere, developed with a pristine use of subtlety that does not silence at all the ethereal beauty that marks the first section and the Mannerist crescendo later emerge after a cosmic interlude. Part 2 turns to a dramatic solemnity based on a formal schema and instrumental singing Susana Talldi that echoes the passionate cry existentialist expressed in the letters is done. The general framework of this concept has the air of a family with M.I.A., PINK FLOYD and LE ORME that can warn as benchmarks. With a great start provided by the first two issues and generated a continuous top three themes, the music lover ecstasy is final and conclusive. But there is more, and that will go in the next paragraph.

‘Noviembre’ is a composition of Faingold that combines perfectly within a relatively rested rhythmic pattern, stylized nuances of symphonic music in its purest form and swing of jazz-rock, making good use of melodic explayamientos ongoing . It also noted the intense synth solo which emerges light storm exquisite sound made during the crucial climax of the piece (imagine a hybrid WATKINS EMERSON and to get an idea of ??the explosive light synthesizer). 'Shayton', meanwhile, offers an exercise in progressive blues-rock style of the Argentine essentially INVISIBLE and PESCADO RABIOSO: Nalldi includes some Arabic words in her song ‘Aires De Tango Para Una Mujer’ and ‘Explicaciones (De Lo Nuestro)’ continue on with the show emphasizing the contemplative aspect of the group: the first exhibits bucolic friendly climates under the guidance of the flute, while the second focuses relaxing frames harmonic with guitar and taking the leading position in tandem keyboard. The concert ends with another exciting cusp ‘Athenágoras’. This part carries an effective and appealing dynamic based on a well-articulated swing that can make us recall standards HAPPY THE MAN, GILGAMESH and YES ... and includes a portentous drum solo by Corvalán. The final applause of the audience is fair to both reward deployment of musical wit, and above all, is an echo of the delicious adrenaline outspread in this closing part.

In addition to these 10 topics we've reviewed, the disc contains 3 bonus tracks recorded in a couple of demos of study: the first dates from 1983, the other two in 2000. ‘Tema De Zarkeff’  is an immersive display dreamy melodic delicacy that manifests as a powerful magic spell of melancholy. Meanwhile, the pair of ‘En El Parque’ and ‘Se Esconde El Viento (Duerme)’  takes us through paths of bucolic serenity samples, the first marked by the duet of flute and acoustic guitar, the second by Susana's singing alternating with the guest violin of Rodolfo Castagnolo.

Has been given in the past the confluence of a sin and a crime: sin was in the hands of fate and crime, in the hands of the mainstream music industry in Argentina those late 70s, sin and crime of thrown into limbo the magnificent creative work Altablanca to dignify the ideal of progressive rock. Now with the release of “En Vivo Mendoza ‘81” rock art collectors of all times and places can redeem greatly from the consequences of this crime and that sin. Altablanca lives!

ALTABLANCA

Discography
En vivo Mendoza ‘81 (1981)

Members featured in the album
En vivo Mendoza ‘81 (1981)
Tracks 1 a 10
Recorded live at Teatro Independencia de Mendoza, November 16, 1981
MARIO MÁTAR - Guitars
SUSANA 'Turca' NALLDI - Vocals and acoustic guitar
JORGE ZANGHERI - Keyboards
CARLOS 'Pajarito' CORVALÁN - Drums
JORGE AGUERRE - Bass
DANIEL MARTÍN - Flute and guitar

Bonus Tracks
Track 11 - Recorded in 1983 - Studio demo
MARIO MÁTAR - Guitar
GUSTAVO BARBUI - Fretless bass
RAÚL MAILLIO - Flute
JORGE ZANGHERI - Synths
SUSANA 'Turca' NALLDI - Vocals

Track 12 - Recorded in 2000 - Studio demo
PABLO ROMAGNOLI - Flute
MARIO MÁTAR - Guitar

Track 13 - Recorded in 2000 - Studio demo
MARIO MÁTAR - Guitar

Guest musician:
RODOLFO CASTAGNOLO - Violin

Quintessential and mythical rock band from Mendoza, Argentina, which passed some of the best musicians that has given the province and which over the years has been granting the title of legend.
Over six years of activity, sometimes dazzling, sometimes painful, were the architects of erudite Rock, with absolute freedom of those not even dreamed of the possibility of recording an album commercial or access the radial diffusion. They have five versions of Altablanca, marked by constant member changes. The first training, more rocker or Progressive, born in April 1976.

ALTABLANCA 1ª Etapa - 1976-1978

MARIO MÁTAR - Guitars
NATALIO FAINGOLD - Drums
JAVIER SEGURA - Bass
PABLO ROMAGNOLI - Flute
DANIEL GONZÁLEZ - Guitar

In 1977, out Segura, Romagnoli and Gonzalez,
and enter
DANIEL MARTÍN - Flute
DANIEL SORIA - Bass

In 1978, enter
CARLOS ALBERTO 'Pompi' MANZUR - Vocals

ALTABLANCA 2ª Etapa - 1979-1980

MARIO MÁTAR - Guitars
JORGE AGUERRE - Bass
NATALIO FAINGOLD - Keyboards
EDUARDO AVENI - Drums

At 1979 end, out Faingold
and enter
JORGE ZANGHERI – Keyboards

In 1980 enter
RUBÉN 'Pollo' ARANCIBIA - Guitar

ALTABLANCA 3ª Etapa - 1981-1983

MARIO MÁTAR - Guitars
JORGE AGUERRE - Bass
SUSANA 'Turca' NALLDI -Vocals and acoustic guitar
JORGE ZANGHERI - Keyboards
DANIEL MARTÍN - Flute and guitar

Who's going to do a suggestion thread for THIS band then?   Tongue

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 13:41
I'll tell you what, my friend, I'll take the CD out and have it for my trip back into work tonight and give it a spin then, but I think if it delivers the goods, I'll do a double whammy `suggestion' for both this AND Taliesyn!

Possibly also going to do one for a Japanese fusion band called `Stella Lee Jones' (not a person, that's the confusing band name!), might as well while I'm on a roll once I finish up my nightshift in a few nights!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 13:45
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'll tell you what, my friend, I'll take the CD out and have it for my trip back into work tonight and give it a spin then, but I think if it delivers the goods, I'll do a double whammy `suggestion' for both this AND Taliesyn!
Hey - separate threads, please - otherwise you'll get shouted at by admins!!  LOL
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 13:52
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Possibly also going to do one for a Japanese fusion band called `Stella Lee Jones' (not a person, that's the confusing band name!), might as well while I'm on a roll once I finish up my nightshift in a few nights!

Certainly looks like a decent proposition to me!  Approve
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 06:06
David, just got into work and listened to that Altablanca CD on the way in, pretty sure it's everything the Symphonic team could want, so in the next day or so I'll propose them officially on their own `suggestion' thread!

And yes, all three bands will get their own `suggestion' page!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 28 2013 at 06:06
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 06:19
Top man! Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 19:08
And now returning to the original topic...Láquesis has been added to Symphonic Prog: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8634.

Thanks to Iván, Scott and Fritz.  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply