Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Knells (Avant-prog?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Knells (Avant-prog?)
    Posted: December 26 2013 at 08:59
Has anyone heard The Knells? The album is on Bandcamp, and was a very good discovery for me, kind of a Kayo Dot feel for me.

The Knells is the name of both Lee's adeptly-composed hour-long song cycle as well as the hybrid ensemble Lee assembled to perform the project, consisting of three stunning female vocalists (Nina Berman, Amanda Gregory, Katya Powder), dual electric guitars (Andrew McKenna Lee, Paul Orbell), drums (Michael McCurdy), mallet percussion (Jude Traxler), electric bass (Joseph Higgins), and the critically lauded Mivos String Quartet. Blending Renaissance polyphony, symphonic lieder, jazz, classic and progressive rock, and even ‘60s Motown vocal music, The Knells finds Lee expanding his creative scope, embracing many of the stylistic streams that have come to define modern song in a remarkably cohesive and unique experience. 

Avant-prog, maybe?
Bigger on the inside.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 11:24
There is a big feature on this release (and an interview with guitarist and band leader Andrew McKenna Lee) at http://roskofrenija.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-knells-knells-2013.html#!/2013/11/the-knells-knells-2013.html.

As well as bandcamp, Amazon iTunes etc, the debut album was released on November 19, 2013 on New Amsterdam Records

1. Airlift (6:17)
2. Thread (3:21)
3. Fray (4:56)
4. Dying in Waves (4:20)
5. Distance (7:13)
6. Syncromesh (6:20)
7. Seethe (6:51)
8. Dissolve (6:20)
9. Spiral Proem (3:06)
10. Spiral Knells (10:01)

There is an excellent website at: http://theknells.com, with song lyrics, links to reviews, interviews, etc.

Picture courtesy of Live Shots Photography.

Didn't find anything on YouTube though. Embarrassed

It's certainly very different, and I would imagine belongs here somwhere, but I'm not sure about Avant Prog. Soundcloud describes it as "post rock, neo-psychedelic chamber prog", which is a fairly accurate assessment, I guess: https://soundcloud.com/#the-knells.

There's a discussion about whether this stuff is actually prog or not here: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/6676-The-Knells-debut-album-really-wonderful.

And lots more on the web relating to this band and album.

OK,  I've run out of ideas now...Damo?  Andy?... Confused  Embarrassed  Ermm
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:17
This is a beautiful and very well crafted album - I actually found out about it because Toby Driver was singing its praises on facebook.  How or if it could be added to our site, I'm honestly not sure.  Many more listens required.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:06
^Ditto, I heard this album through our good friend Toby. I remember it being a beast of an album. This is one of those bands that is difficult to pinpoint, though. I'm not sure which team I want to give the pleasure of evaluation - it's a gorgeous listen. 

It's a bit too put together and musically "normal" for avant, but a bit too wacky for most of the other subs. It's a bit of avant, eclectic, heavy, or psych even. I'll give the whole album a spin before pinpointing it.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:11
Personally I still "vote" for Avant.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:25
Just took a listen, and as a member of the Avant team, I think it's a pretty good fit.  The cool thing is, they're really more symphonic than anything else, but more 20th century symphonic, if that makes sense.  Very heavily "orchestrated" (with rock instruments) with a focus on counterpoint, often of the dissonant sort.  I'd give it my "yes" for Avant.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:41
Yea, I see what you mean. Now that this thread has your attention, feel free to bring these guys to your team if you feel like they have a shot.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:44
Will do, Andy. Thanks.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply