Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs classical influence essential to prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 04:39
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

A monastery is a residence of a community of monks. The way of life is very disciplined. If you take music seriously ..you must adapt the same role. I spent 5 years with a teacher studying the Classical guitar /music and perfecting a good tone. Bread and water was my diet along with 1 meal of bird helpings. 15 hours a day is not enough to be masterful in a timely fashion. More like 20 hours a day for weeks on end and with 3 to 4 hours sleep a night. I had no other activities and no social life whatsoever. I gave it up to combine my knowledge with other styles of music and concentrated on composition. Many Progressive Rock musicians have followed this path and many have a natural ear to learn Classical and have little training. You must dismiss all teachings of other styles in order to reach the level of Christopher Parkening or Segovia. Progressive Rock musicians add reflections of Classical music to create signature lines to their epics. They are not fully devoted to the life of a Classical musician. It is merely a adaption which is applied to their music. There is such a contrast between the 2 worlds.

You are of course absolutely right (as always). Clap

The classic example of this is Rick Wakeman, who dropped out of the Royal College of Music after a year to pursue a career in rock music and earn a living as a sessions musician, leaving his classically influenced mark on many memorable pop and rock recordings of the day (Bowie, Cat Stevens, T Rex, Magna Carta, Harry Nillson, Elton John, Edison Lighthouse, Ralph McTell, etc,) before becoming a Prog Rock keyboard wizard.

ps: At that time (1968-1970) he was clocking-up as many as 18 recording sessions a week as well as playing live with dance bands and pub bands - like all/many/most rock musicians this was now his music training and education - countless public performances over constant practising.

Edited by Dean - March 01 2014 at 04:49
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 05:47
Toddler perfectly describes the way my old man used to explain to me, the difference between musicians vs classically trained musicians.
I later on found out when I witnessed my dads cousin sing a piece of opera at a family birthday. He literally blew the roof off the house, and I must've spent hours talking to him afterwards. He told me about 12 to 16 hours work days plus the constant training exercises he performed every day.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 07:27
Is King Crimson post-Starless and Bible Black classically influenced?  Hardly think so.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 08:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

He literally blew the roof off the house.

I bet he didn't.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 12:37
Hi,

We are still creating a stigma that someone that does not have any classical music background, can not become a true musician and a master at his own instrument. Be it progressive, jazz, or anything else.

Generally, and I agree with you all, the influence is just like the Rick Wakeman example. He plays things based on what he knows, which are, generally, classical music bits and pieces, but that is being called an "influence", and that's where it all becomes slightly off center.

I don't see, or think, that Klaus Schulze is classically defined or designed!

I don't see early Guru Guru, or Amon Duul 2, and in general the early krautrock, as being formally influenced by classical music, specially when the CAN folks were talking about "non-western music concepts", which pretty much encompasses EVERYTHING we are discussing here! But, for CAN's example, or maybe just Holger's, some early material was strictly CUT AND PASTE, which in some ways was a total attack and comment about "composition" being such a MENTAL exercise, and leaving any other "process" out of the loop.

The 20th century, has been a lot about the breaking down of those barriers and sentences. But it will never, necessarily mean that the influence is going to be there or NOT.  I don't find, for example, CAN very classically minded at all. But it is hard to not see it Bel Air as a type of classical composition, and it is more about "rock music sensitivity" than it is about the composition itself!

SIDEBAR: This month's Bass Player has a long article with/on John Myoung from Dream Theater. And he very clearly states that his only talent is dedication to his 2 to 3 hours a day on the bass. Simple. So, Toddler, does that mean that he is not a master of his instrument?  This throws off the equation a bit, and I think we need to be careful here, to not confuse ourselves and others! His exercises and scales might be centered about known scales and such, but more than likely are about his own learning and material that he has to play in the show!

Edited by moshkito - March 01 2014 at 12:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 12:51
^ the influence of Richard Wagner on Klaus Schulze is well documented (and somewhat self-evident in his work).

...just sayin'
What?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 13:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ the influence of Richard Wagner on Klaus Schulze is well documented (and somewhat self-evident in his work).

...just sayin'

Yes. Just calling a band he created "Richard Wahnfried" is proof of that. "Wahnfried" was the name Wagner gave his house in Bayreuth.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 20:16
Though having once upon a time been influenced by classical music elements, Classic Prog Rock will NEVER die, for the other diverse genres influencing elements will always be present there. Only "pre-romantic", "romantic" and "post-romantic" Classical Music are being killed by this current modern generation, which would prefer pretty much to listen to Joe Jackson's Symphony No. 1 for example than anything from that era...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 22:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

A monastery is a residence of a community of monks. The way of life is very disciplined. If you take music seriously ..you must adapt the same role. I spent 5 years with a teacher studying the Classical guitar /music and perfecting a good tone. Bread and water was my diet along with 1 meal of bird helpings. 15 hours a day is not enough to be masterful in a timely fashion. More like 20 hours a day for weeks on end and with 3 to 4 hours sleep a night. I had no other activities and no social life whatsoever. I gave it up to combine my knowledge with other styles of music and concentrated on composition. Many Progressive Rock musicians have followed this path and many have a natural ear to learn Classical and have little training. You must dismiss all teachings of other styles in order to reach the level of Christopher Parkening or Segovia. Progressive Rock musicians add reflections of Classical music to create signature lines to their epics. They are not fully devoted to the life of a Classical musician. It is merely a adaption which is applied to their music. There is such a contrast between the 2 worlds.

You are of course absolutely right (as always). Clap
The classic example of this is Rick Wakeman, who dropped out of the Royal College of Music after a year to pursue a career in rock music and earn a living as a sessions musician, leaving his classically influenced mark on many memorable pop and rock recordings of the day (Bowie, Cat Stevens, T Rex, Magna Carta, Harry Nillson, Elton John, Edison Lighthouse, Ralph McTell, etc,) before becoming a Prog Rock keyboard wizard.
ps: At that time (1968-1970) he was clocking-up as many as 18 recording sessions a week as well as playing live with dance bands and pub bands - like all/many/most rock musicians this was now his music training and education - countless public performances over constant practising.

Speaking of Bowie aka the sexiest man alive , the track Heroes by Bowie which Eno co-wrote and Robert Fripp played guitars
I think U2 were inspired by those synth tunes maybe however one of those for Bowie was just enough by me   
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 23:12
I did mention that Bruford was classically trained and was told off by Dean and yep he was right    because having some musical classes/lessons does not mean you have classic music training. Anyway to me and many here I believe this topic in requesting if some or most prog musicians are influenced by classical moozik does not mean that one needs to have studied classic music/or have a classical music background I am a ninny as I did mention classically trained thus never mind me lol

Edited by Kati - March 01 2014 at 23:14
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 05:20
I thought that Klaus Schulze was at first more inspired by John Cage, Philip Glass, Terry Riley and other 20th century minimalist composers than by Richard Wagner and other 19th century greats? At least until he moved away from the Kosmische Musik subculture in the mid-1970s that is, he would in interviews mention avantgarde modern classical composers most often as inspiration.

This thread seems to have gone back on track to being quite enlightening, by the way. I appears that while classical music has indeed been an influence on progressive rock, said inspiration has also often been overstated greatly. Kind of reminds me of the similar revelations surfacing in this thread about the evolution of electronic music I started a long time ago.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 06:45
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I thought that Klaus Schulze was at first more inspired by John Cage, Philip Glass, Terry Riley and other 20th century minimalist composers than by Richard Wagner and other 19th century greats? At least until he moved away from the Kosmische Musik subculture in the mid-1970s that is, he would in interviews mention avantgarde modern classical composers most often as inspiration.

This thread seems to have gone back on track to being quite enlightening, by the way. I appears that while classical music has indeed been an influence on progressive rock, said inspiration has also often been overstated greatly. Kind of reminds me of the similar revelations surfacing in this thread about the evolution of electronic music I started a long time ago.

The early solo recordings of Klaus Schulze certainly show minimalistic influences, though different from Glass or Riley or, to mention another important name, Steve Reich.  While the latter three work a lot with rhythms the first two albums of Schulze almost completely lack any rhythm; they are more walls of sounds.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 08:07

Mr S makes his feelings abundantly clear during this interview from May 1997:

PSF: It's been suggested that John Cage, Terry Riley and Karlheinz Stockhausen influenced your work. Is this fair?

KS: "Fair"? Neither fair nor unfair. Better words would be: nonsense, absurd, false. Every time a journalist cannot cope (pun intended) with a certain music, he mentions "Stockhausen" as a kind of synonym. Have you ever checked Stockhausen's output? About 5 (five) compositions that could be called "electronic", and they were done about 30 to 40 years ago, made with an oscillator or something like this. He did over hundred of other compositions that have no relation whatsoever to electronic music. Besides, what I heard meanwhile, sounds awful to my ears and to most other people's ears. Stockhausen is maybe a good theorist. But, who's listening voluntarily to his actual music, and who "enjoys" it? I also had and I have nothing to do with Cage or Riley. Not with their music nor with their theories and philosophies (if they have any...). This is simply not my world. When I started to do my music, and before, I was listening to Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd, before to the Spotnicks and Ventures, but not to the names you mention. Nobody in my surrounding and in my age did. This was a kind of "culture" that just did not exist among us. Only many years after, and because every third journalist asked me about "Stockhausen", I finally bought his theoretic books and I read them. Interesting stuff, I must admit, but the results are not my cup of tea.

The rest of the interview is just as cranky but of course Klaus may have just had his 'tits in the wringer' that day, Confused

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 08:11
That's strange, I remember him telling the opposite in the liner notes to Revisited Records' re-issue of Irrlicht... at least I remember him mentioning Morton Subotnik and Steve Reich as inspirations there.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 08:14
Like I said, we all have our bad days at the office (even kosmiche commuters)Shocked

here's the link:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/kschulze.html
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 10:49

And I see Klaus as much more on this school and influences than Wagner. Gosh, do we really need another bunch of operas about mythological hodge podge? But I have to agree with his cynical assessment, albeit, he knew better than say that since he was doing the same thing himself!

I find it strange that the "kosmiche" thing gets trashed so badly. I kinda think that it was its anti-rock-song concept that helped define music and in the end, it helped define the likes of Klaus Schulze even better. I'm not sure that Klaus would have developed this strongly as he has in 50 years, without that rock stuff and experiments that he went through while learning the instruments. Seems to me abit very cynical, and we all were teenagers and went through learning one way or another!

I agree with Dean that some influences slide through, intentional or not. However, this is hard to buy, when you can easily read a Jean Genet, a Burroughs, and so many other modern writers, and it will be impossible to say, that their influences were __________ or ___________ ... because the work and design of that work came from somewhere else. Same thing for Bunuel and Dali. So we gonna say that their influence was ________ and in the end, it was a conscious decision, to make sure that they did not follow anything ... although I would suggest they borrowed heavily from dreams, and their non-sensical nature, and incomprehensible sense of time and space!

We do not trust that (alien/foreign) space, any more than we believe anything that it has to show us! And when someone talks about, it's like anything they say is not correct and accountable by the tables and discussions that you were told was the LAW in school and college, and here at the Prog Archives!

I can say that I am inspired by Aldous Huxley, but you will never find a moment in my 400 poems that show it, because it is a general statement, and is not necessarily "real". You can find some insipiration on the stuff about dreaming and visions from don Juan, but you will have a hard time picking up an example, though some stuff comes off as very surrealistic, which a lot of it is for me.

I do not consider, or think, that the "influence" is as important as the work itself. And the "influence" might be so generic as to be almost meaningless.

As for the essentialistic nature of it, I sincerely doubt that we even know what the term/idea, is really asking. Mostly because I am using a violin, I am already automatically associated with "classical" music, and not looked at as modern, or serious. But this is hard to do with the Electric Guitar since it was not there before, which makes it harder for us to make that "comparison" and comment!

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2014 at 10:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 14:54
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

As for the essentialistic nature of it, I sincerely doubt that we even know what the term/idea, is really asking. Mostly because I am using a violin, I am already automatically associated with "classical" music, and not looked at as modern, or serious. But this is hard to do with the Electric Guitar since it was not there before, which makes it harder for us to make that "comparison" and comment!

As far as violin, I don't automatically associate the instrument with "classical" music, particularly if I am listening to Bluegrass or Celtic music, where a totally different playing style is required -- and they call it a fiddle.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 16:57
Originally posted by Klaus Schulze Klaus Schulze wrote:

...who's listening voluntarily to his actual music, and who "enjoys" it?

Paul McCartney listened to Stockhausen. But Klaus may have a point. No one listens to Paul McCartney.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 18:14
There seems to be a definite bias towards European classical influence in this discussion....what about other classical influences?  Classical Indian music seems to have touched many artists, from George Harrison to Steve Hillage etc.  

Bob Fripp was also moved by ancient gamelan classical music, inspiring him to perfect his approach to "Discipline."  

Just because prog may have started with some classical instrumentation samples via Mellotron doesn't mean it needs to stay there. 

Here's some classical Andean prog-music for ya!  I love these guys, they show up all over the place! 

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 18:40
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

There seems to be a definite bias towards European classical influence in this discussion....what about other classical influences?  Classical Indian music seems to have touched many artists, from George Harrison to Steve Hillage etc.  

Bob Fripp was also moved by ancient gamelan classical music, inspiring him to perfect his approach to "Discipline."  

Just because prog may have started with some classical instrumentation samples via Mellotron doesn't mean it needs to stay there. 

Here's some classical Andean prog-music for ya!  I love these guys, they show up all over the place! 

Not a whole lot of countries had their own form of classical music before the introduction of Western classical music. (And I don't know if the term "classical" has any relevance to gamelan music).

But I agree with the sentiment. You can't neglect the influence of folk musics in prog. In general, most artists we sling the "prog" term at were originally just well-versed in many different kinds of music, sometimes through classical music institutions, sometimes just through exploration.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>