Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed22 - Norwegian Progressive Math Pop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22 - Norwegian Progressive Math Pop
    Posted: December 29 2013 at 15:01
I have been listening to these guys a lot lately, and I haven't suggested a new band for the site in quite some time due to an overload of school and my service in the military, so I thought I'd get back into it for them Smile

"22 are a band from Trondheim, Norway formed around 2008. Combining the heavy edged, mathematical and progressive insanity of The Mars Volta, Muse and Refused with a keen pop sensibility and strong desire to experiment… 

22 are signed to the British Independent label Best Before Records in London.

http://22newenergymusic.com
http://www.bestbeforerecords.com"

They certainly do exemplify the math part of their sound, and when they do, it isn't all that poppy (see the first song). The songs showcase a lot of mood, rhythm, and tone changes, with intelligence and prime musicianship behind each tune. I believe they would be an admirable addition to Crossover, Math, or perhaps even Heavy Prog.

Give them a listen:

This reminds a bit of Gazpacho in feel, actually, at least in the softer bits:

Note: They are labeled by both their own label (hehe, punny) and by their fans as math pop, I didn't just pull it out of my ass

Edited by CoolJimmi - December 29 2013 at 15:03
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 16:48
It might be worth having a quick look at this thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94440. If a band is from Norway, and there is a hint of prog in their music, then somewhere on the site Agi will have suggested them!  LOL

This doesn't make for encouraging reading either...

But that was in Post Rock, not Math Rock or Crossover..which are probably the two subs where they most likely might fit.   Ermm

CoolJimmi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 18:02
They have almost no post rock in their work, so I have no idea why they were being handled by post. Crossover or Math is where they belong

By the way, post rock and math rock are two very different genres, why does the site lump them into one? I mean, plenty of bands have put the two together (many of the progenitors of both genres, at that), but certainly not the majority. The argument could even be made that several key elements of each genre are at odds with elements of the other. Is it less pragmatic and more of a practical thing?

Edited by CoolJimmi - January 02 2014 at 18:05
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 19:41
The Post Rock/Math Rock sub was created some time in early 2008 when the old Art Rock sub was done away with and opened up. Several other subgenres such as Crossover Prog, Eclectic Prog, & Heavy Prog were also added back then. Post Rock and Math Rock are handled on here by two entirely separate teams though, so the combined sub heading that we currently on the site is a bit misleading really. Dean or Andy could probably tell you a lot more about all this - I wasn't around on the site when it actually happened.
CoolJimmi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 18:25
Long overdue bump, as well as my first post on here in months. Military + school = too much, as far as I'm concerned currently.

Anyway, I think these guys would be a shoe-in for a subgenre that read "Crossover Math Rock." Now, I suppose that would mean they should be looked at by the crossover team, but I'll leave that up to whoever gives them a chance.

This group is currently one of my favorites, and I know they deserve a place somewhere around here.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 08:13
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69595

I would agree to the description of progressive pop, but then again that's not really something we're looking for on PA. It's prog rock. I am however pretty chuffed about finding this band - really really nice pop music, and it's so seldom I come across modern pop that I dig, so thanks for thatThumbs Up

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 16 2014 at 08:14
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:46
Cool
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:48
Jimmi?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CoolJimmi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 10:45
Hahaha, thanks for that bit of humor so early in the morning.

Anyway, I'm glad I could be of service Smile to me, it's kinda like Coheed and Cambria; I own everything they've ever done, and roughly a third of it is progressive pop (not counting their first two albums), not rock. Would it be too much of a stretch to call these guys progressive pop rock..? Wink Some of the licks get pretty groovy and hard, like on my favorite song, Plastik.

But, if the Prog Gods do not see fit that they should be added to the site, it certainly won't keep me from listening to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply