Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLandscape (Ned) heavy prog or prog metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landscape (Ned) heavy prog or prog metal
    Posted: January 02 2014 at 13:19
a polish band with a great symphonic heavy sound, not to DT heavy, natural sounding, maybe closer to Arena and heavy Neo prog.

i found nothing on Youtube but their is spotify, search for the album Staring at Utopia
some really incredible subtle instrumentation in sections, delicate like silk and linen 

Edited by aginor - January 02 2014 at 13:55
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 13:46
you will love them Yamyam, also fans of Haken will salute them 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 13:48
Agi...I think you had too much akevitt to drink on New Year's Eve! Tongue

This particular 'Landscape' are from The Netherlands - The Polish band of the same name released an album called 'Outside Of Nowhere' in 2011.

Here is a music collage of Landscape's 2012 debut album 'Staring at Utopia' featuring a rundown of all nine songs and a bandphoto slideshow. Landscape is a melodic progressive pop/rock band from The Netherlands, featuring clean female vocals. Their music has many progressive elements, but with a focus on melody and mood rather than virtuosity or heaviness. For progressive music, it is rather accessible

Influences include Tears for Fears, Rush, Dream Theater, Sieges Even and Tori Amos.

- Dennis Stant / guitar
- Sandra Smit / vocals
- Joris Wittenberg / bass, synths, sax

Founding members Dennis Stant and Joris Wittenberg met during their university studies in 1995. A mutual interest in progressive rock (among other things) sparked a long lasting friendship, as well as the first forays into songwriting together.

In 1997 Dennis co-founded the rockband Counterpoint in which Joris joined as the bass player. Many original songs were written and occasionally performed live. Although there was room for many musical ideas in the band, it also was clear that some musical preferences, shared between Dennis and Joris, were out of place in Counterpoint.

This led them to start a side-project for ‘that kind of music’, which was named Landscape. At the time, home recording on computers was quickly becoming a realistic option, allowing the newly formed ‘band’ to rely on computers for drums, synthesizer sounds and recording – thus keeping the band small and focused. A vocalist was not needed... yet.

And so, the ‘part band – part machine’ set of to write music. There was no intention of ever becoming a live band, creating a free atmosphere for trying out many ideas. Usually Dennis ‘planted a seed’ with a guitar part, and Joris acted as the ‘fruitful soil’, building bass and synth parts around it. Together, they arranged the bits and pieces into songs.

Over the next years, a number of songs began to emerge from the pool of ideas and snippets, with eventually enough material for a CD. The time had come to search for a vocalist, as this was clearly something that neither a computer nor the band members could provide.

Finding a singer was no easy task, as the band had no live gigs, fame or financial gain to offer. Nor was the music ‘easy’ to sing along with. They searched someone that simply liked the music, was up for the challenge and had a desire to provide vocal parts - just for the sake of it.

Nevertheless, people responded. After some auditions, mostly carried out over the internet, talented singers were found and asked to join the band. Some lyrics and melodies were written over the next years. Unfortunately, two consecutive singers were unable to invest the time end energy required, and eventually abandoned the project.

Disappointed, the band set off for a third round of auditioning - and hit the jackpot. Sandra Smit stood out with her warm, smooth and intimate voice and some immediate great ideas. She joined the band and has been with us ever since.

In the years that followed, the three band members focused all energy on completing the vocal parts for the CD. Joris and Sandra proved to be particularly succesfull in writing lyrics and vocal melodies. Vocals were recorded and mixed in the modest (and sometimes unbearably hot) attic studio of Joris, during many evening sessions.

By this time, all band members also had regular dayjobs and all became parents. It had been a long time since the band was originally founded. But over the years, the music and energy stayed and evolved with us.

When the CD was finally finished in 2012, Landscape was ready to go public.

The band will continue working on new songs, hopefully resulting in many more CD’s to come. The original spirit of the band remains as it was since the beginning: to write and record music that we like. Not music that must be economically viable or ‘work’ in a live setting. Just for the fun of it. Now if only we can somehow pick up the pace

All nine tracks from the album can be streamed on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/#landscape-band

I love this album to bits myself, and I guess the band stands an outside chance in Prog Metal, but I wouldn't build my hopes up... Ermm

Edited by yam yam - January 02 2014 at 13:56
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 13:52
strange since they are very progy in the subtle arrangements and use of saxophone 

i would think both Haken and Arena is similar sounding albums but Landscape differs for having female lead singer, and also i think its very good crafted songs, with tight technical display of musicality, so i disagree with it being simplistic, it is very nice layered and flows nice because  of that

Edited by aginor - January 02 2014 at 13:58
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 13:52
So who's being suggested? The Poles or the Dutch?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 13:55
the dutch
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 14:11
Both!

Here's the Poles in action:

LOL
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 14:16
there is also a french post rock group 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 14:18
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

strange since they are very progy in the subtle arrangements and use of saxophone 

i would think both Haken and Arena is similar sounding albums but Landscape differs for having female lead singer, and also i think its very good crafted songs, with tight technical display of musicality, so i disagree with it being simplistic, it is very nice layered and flows nice because  of that

I actually agree with you, agi - the assessment I posted earlier actually came from the band's own soundcloud bio - they sell themselves short here to some extent, I think. That said, female fronted Prog Metal bands do tend to a have a tough time getting in on here these days unless they are something really special. I'd love to see them get in personally, so let's hope they are indeed considered something special... Smile

Edited by yam yam - January 02 2014 at 14:20
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 14:22
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I actually agree with you, agi - the assessment I posted earlier actually came from the band's own soundcloud bio - they sell themselves short here to some extent, I think. That said, female fronted Prog Metal bands do tend to a have a tough time getting in on here these days unless they are something really special. I'd love to see them get in personally, so let's hope they are indeed considered something special... Smile
it should not really be a criteria if its lead vocaled by a male or female, if so, that will show negativity on the page, inclusion should be based around the music not the gender of the singer, 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 14:34

there is also a french post rock group 

Yes indeed, and you can listen to all three of their albums on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/landscapeone/Tongue

Official site now redirects to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Landscape/54463108815.

Paste this link into your browser URL bar for a playlist of six videos uploaded by the band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AblYxZXzvH0&list=PLrmvXo77Mcl5-T9Ii0owFkD56BaO6PAvj

So now we have three 'Landscape' suggestions to work through...?  Shocked

Any more before I turn in for the night...? LOL
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 14:38

it should not really be a criteria if its lead vocaled by a male or female, if so, that will show negativity on the page, inclusion should be based around the music not the gender of the singer, 

Absolutely, my friend. Approve  In reality The World doesn't always work like that though. I have every confidence in our current PM team, however - they will base their decision purely on the merit of the music presented before them, I know. Thumbs Up
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 03:38
three tracks into the Dutch band and this reminds me more of Enchant/Haken - the Dutch on HP charts
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 03:46
I would suggest a separate thread for the Poles and the post-rock band as the former sounded closer to Art Rock than anything else therefore slightly outside my remit Wink
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 07:11
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

three tracks into the Dutch band and this reminds me more of Enchant/Haken - the Dutch on HP charts
neat, i will follow it like a hound
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 09:09
Dutch Landscape added

Edited by Andy Webb - January 08 2014 at 09:09
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 09:10
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Dutch Landscape added
im flattered about Dutch Landscapes  Big smile
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 11:20
I recommended a band for heavy prog......Vivalma     the album "Human Effect" . I believe the Dutch band Landscape's album is actually "Staring at Utopia". I hope Vivalma can be added as quickly as the dutch band was.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 11:25
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 11:27
Well thanks for the quickness. Did you look at Landscape's page?

Edited by timothy leary - January 09 2014 at 11:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>