Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 29>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 14:47
That is pretty much accurate. There were two other cars that seemed to just barely miss him, hot headed or not that was a poor move on Ward. We may never know exactly the situation with Stewart but he'll have to live with this. 

Yeah I can't say that aspect of it my cup of team, though it was always been more embarrassing than anything, not until now has it become an issue. At least NASCAR has marshals, and wider tracks, and can enforce rules. If they ever took the step (though I doubt it) of stopping this type thing, they could easily send marshals to stop a driver from approaching the cars like they do. 

It has always been an aspect of the sport that is marketed unfortunately. 

For these small local tracks, well not sure if much can be done. Just hope next time it happens, maybe the driver will take a moment to think if they really want to approach that car, and probably cool off their hot head in the process. 

No F1 or Indy so guess I'll just say Jr is in 2nd position, and with Jeff Gordon having some type of car issue this plays out very well for him. 
Major crash, all were fine, though it has prompted discussion of upgrading Watkins Glen such as putting in the safer barriers and removing the tire walls, that tend to bounce the car back into traffic, and replacing those simple highway barriers that line the track with something better. 

Edited by JJLehto - August 10 2014 at 14:52
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 16:18
For what it's worth I think the organisers should impose a race ban on any driver that wonders back onto the track, it'll soon end the practice. Either that or just hand them a Darwin award.

The Glen is always going to be one of those tracks that's always on the edge, it's just really fast and doesn't have the space to put in much run off.

There's USC from Road America today, as always I'm hoping for a good result for Extreme Speed Motorsport and they do start from pole. As long they don't have any safety car periods with only 10 minutes of racing left they should have a good chance. The DP's with so much more power always jump the LMP2's off the line or after restarts but they don't have the grip for fast corners so loose out in the long run.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 20:42
That finish at The Glen today was fantastic!  Just really good, pure hard racing for the win by two guys that desperately needed a win to get into the Chase.  Really awesome stuff.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 00:21
Terrible tragedy indeed. I'm a TS fan (for full disclosure) and I'm by no means absolving him (he certainly has blame to be taken) but to get out of the car and go onto the track like that and move towards the opposing oncoming traffic is pretty stupid. Now, IDK the rules of Spirit cars (never watch them) so Idk if there is a pace car that comes out to collect the field or what the caution speed is of the cars or any of that...but nearly being hit by one or two other cars prior to is a pretty clear sign that he was way to close to the action even then. Also, the incident where Stewart ran him up the track seemed like a racing incident to me. No idea how many laps were left or any of that so maybe it was a bit early to be that aggressive on TS part. Of course, TS was pretty in the wrong too esp if he was trying to say something akin to 'oh yeah tough guy' with his car. A true shame it happened, regardless of reasons. RIP.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 00:21
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

That finish at The Glen today was fantastic!  Just really good, pure hard racing for the win by two guys that desperately needed a win to get into the Chase.  Really awesome stuff.

Absolutely! Other than that red flag that took 90 mins it was quite a race all around I thought. This is why I love the Glen.,
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 07:42
Looks like Stewart wont be prosecuted over the accident. 

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:34
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Looks like Stewart wont be prosecuted over the accident. 

I imagine short of TS coming out and saying 'Yeah I tried to kill/injure him on purpose' or something akin to that it'll be hard to prove criminal intent. The investigation is ongoing of course, but I do agree this will just be looked upon as a horrible accident by the legal system.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 06:15
I've been following the thread on this accident over at the Autosport forums where they have a few ex races who have driven these cars. From what I gather they're actually really difficult to drive at slow speeds because they are designed to be steered on the throttle and the two guys ahead of Stewart both said they barely missed Ward. It may really be that Stewart just didn't see him. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 20:18
Yeah buddy!  Win #91!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 06:34
I think Power's favourite for the title now, that win with Helio outside the top 10 gives him a sizable lead with 2 races left.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 15:23
It's been announced that Max Verstappen will take over Vergne's seat at Torro Rosso in F1 next year. Here's the crazy part, he's in only his first ever year of car driving in the European F3 championship, which in itself was quite the surprise as most drivers start out in the lower Formula Renault series. He's good, he's won 8 or 9 races this year already (6 of them consecutively at the Spa and Norisring rounds) and is the closest challenger to the more experienced Esteban Ocon, who is a Lotus Junior driver, but the really crazy part is that he's 16, 17 by Melbourne next year!

Makes you wonder though about Carlos Sainz Jr, Piere Gasly and Alex Lynn, the other Red Bull Junior drivers. Sainz is dominating Renault 3.5 in his second year, Gasley is his closest challenger in his first year and Lynn is dominating the GP3 championship in his first year there and now they've all been jumped by a kid who was signed to the Red Bull stable only last week!   

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 16:37

I think Power's favourite for the title now, that win with Helio outside the top 10 gives him a sizable lead with 2 races left.

Yeah.  A real bummer, too, because I honestly thought Milwaukee was Helio's chance to re-take the lead and it went the complete opposite direction.  Oh well, I'll be in Sonoma for the race this Sunday, so we'll see how that goes.  Although, that's been a Power track for the past few years now.

Also, some more breaking F1 news.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/andre-lotterer-to-make-f1-debut-at-spa-expected-to-be-confirmed-in-coming-days

Sounds like Kobayashi's out and Lotterer in at Caterham. 

Not a good day for either Vergne or Kobayashi.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 17:18
The Lotterer story doesn't make much sense to me. He's probably an even better overall driver than Kobayashi, but I can't see why he'd want to jump into the deep end with the worst car on the grid. I also can't see why Caterham would take him, they've said they have to get 10th in the championship this year or the loss of prize money might force them out before the start of next season, and that means scoring points. Ericsson's not up to it and putting a rookie in the car, who hasn't driven an F1 car since 2002 for Jaguar, mid season is not going to work out, particularly with a big update coming this weekend can they really count on Ericsson's feedback? Basically to score points they need Kobayashi, full stop.

I'm envious of you going to Sonoma, may not be the best of race tracks but cars always look great going through it's undulating corners. 

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 17:52

Didn't relize the race was happening so I missed it...but my reaction to this post is...Boo.

Even though it would be nice to see Power finally nab that title.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 23:59

I'm envious of you going to Sonoma, may not be the best of race tracks but cars always look great going through it's undulating corners. 

I'm very excited for this weekend.  This will actually be my 2nd attempt at seeing an IndyCar race live since the tragedy that ended the 2011 season in Vegas.  No matter who wins, it will be a great time. Smile

And as for Power probably nabbing that elusive title this year, it WILL make things in the world a little more correct, but it just sucks that Helio will lose out on it.  AGAIN.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 00:31
We shall see...though yeah, much as I want to believe in an epic finish Power really is in the cat bird seat now. 
Which I'm fine with, can't say he is not deserving. Still 2 races to go though! 

Oh man I wish I could be at Sonoma. It is a beautiful track, I prefer it over Watkins Glen, and I'd kill just to be in the area. Got a small taste last year when I drove through the area on the way from San Fran to LA and it was beautiful. Amazing. Sadly was a brief moment. 
It killed me that I drove right by Laguna Seca...would've done anything to drive on it! LOL

Edited by JJLehto - August 20 2014 at 00:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 01:15
I was telling my wife tonight that we have to check out Laguna Seca.  We've lived in the area for a couple of years now and haven't seen it yet.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 02:13
Yeah, I would've loved to see the track. No idea if people are even allowed in, and I'm sure we can't drive on it :( but would've been nice to see. I didn't really want to make many stops since I was gunna drive rt 1, and good thing since the trip from Berkeley to SLO took me 11 hours as it was, so I just made a brief stop in Monterey. Really is a breathtaking area around there. 

Unrelated: after tuning up the Bugatti Veyron, so it can actually turn LOL, this thing is a freak. I am currently 3 hours into the 24 of LeMans and I'm kicking the ass of these actual race cars, in the rain! Like it's not even right how fast I can blow by an Audi race car. Managed a top speed of 239 mph to boot
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:29
'merkan Alexander Rossi to start Belgium! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 23:20
It's been seven years since an American has raced in an F1 GP; Scott Speed back in '07.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 29>