FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 14:44
Any updates on Bianchi?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 14:57
Sleeper you are truly a hero! 
Mansell and Berger?? Though Berger seemed like a cool dude. 
Glad to hear you echo that feeling though, more I learned about Senna, more I took a bit of a different view. 

Not really Steve, same as last. Critical but stable condition. "Still very much in the early stages" 
It has come out that what he suffered was a "diffuse axonal injury" which I never heard of, but sounds like basically widespread brain damage, and it sounds bleak. "The outcome is frequently a coma with over 90% of patients with the most severest form never regaining consciousness."  Cry

Edited by JJLehto - October 08 2014 at 14:58
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 15:58
Well, I'm not a Piquet fan and Brundle was off racing for Jaguar in Group C at the time. I'd say Alesi as he made his debut, spectacularly, in 89 but I was a fan of his in the late 90's/early 2000's anyway, and that just leaves less well known drivers like de Cesaris, Nannini, Patrese, Pier Luigi-Martini etc. I've never been that much of a Senna fan anyway, I never liked that he would vigorously block, force drivers hard towards the pitwall or even deliberately crash into them, but at the same time Prost was very political and knew how to use the idiot-in-chief himself, Jean-Marie Ballestre, for his own gain. It's a shame Gilles Viellneuve died in 82, he would have dominated the 80's and I reckon he was faster than Senna.

I don't think we'll get any real updates on Bianchi until next week, I think they've said that's when they're going to ease back on the anesthetic and hope he wakes up, I'm just glade the term "sever" hasn't been used in describing the DAI he suffered, for the reasons you mentioned JJ.  

Oh, and here's the proposed layout for the 2016 GP in Baku, Azerbaijan, that was released today. The only thing that annoys me about this is that it's being called the European GP, despite being 300 miles east of Baghdad and north of Iran on the opposite side of the Caspian Sea.

Edited by sleeper - October 08 2014 at 16:03
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 16:22
I know that people don't like to stay focused on the negatives in racing  but do you think the FIA should implement a SC whenever a peice of safety equipment is placed on a race track or in a runoff area, like most of the US series do. I'm very angry in thinking that Bianche's accident had to happen at all. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 19:50
Hell no, the excessive use of pace cars is the worst part of American racing for me. However, there are definite instances where it does need to be used and I think after Sutil's crash is one of them. Dunlop is a very fast, uphill, off camber left hander and is notoriously dangerous in the wet, as such a safety car should have been used. But this is typical Charlie Whiting, keep the SC out on track at a wet start for several laps longer than it was remotely needed, then use every excuse possible not to deploy it again.

As to the question, in the dry it's not remotely a problem and drivers going off  at that point end up with hefty bans for being reckless and stupid (just ask Maldonado, he did that at Monaco years ago in Renault World Series and was banned for half the season), but in the wet where grip levels are so much lower and can be changing by the lap I think the procedure may need to be revised depending on where they are, such as Dunlop.

Edited by sleeper - October 08 2014 at 19:54

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 20:05
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Well, I'm not a Piquet fan and Brundle was off racing for Jaguar in Group C at the time. I'd say Alesi as he made his debut, spectacularly, in 89 but I was a fan of his in the late 90's/early 2000's anyway, and that just leaves less well known drivers like de Cesaris, Nannini, Patrese, Pier Luigi-Martini etc. I've never been that much of a Senna fan anyway, I never liked that he would vigorously block, force drivers hard towards the pitwall or even deliberately crash into them, but at the same time Prost was very political and knew how to use the idiot-in-chief himself, Jean-Marie Ballestre, for his own gain. It's a shame Gilles Viellneuve died in 82, he would have dominated the 80's and I reckon he was faster than Senna.I don't think we'll get any real updates on Bianchi until next week, I think they've said that's when they're going to ease back on the anesthetic and hope he wakes up, I'm just glade the term "sever" hasn't been used in describing the DAI he suffered, for the reasons you mentioned JJ.   Oh, and here's the proposed layout for the 2016 GP in Baku, Azerbaijan, that was released today. The only thing that annoys me about this is that it's being called the European GP, despite being 300 miles east of Baghdad and north of Iran on the opposite side of the Caspian Sea. 

Sweet stuff there. I'd love to see an Azerbaijani race. Almost reminds me of the ill-fated NJGP in layout (long in the middle with stuff/blocks happening at both ends). I hope it comes to fruition.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 20:05

Hell no, the excessive use of pace cars is the worst part of American racing for me. However, there are definite instances where it does need to be used and I think after Sutil's crash is one of them. Dunlop is a very fast, uphill, off camber left hander and is notoriously dangerous in the wet, as such a safety car should have been used. But this is typical Charlie Whiting, keep the SC out on track at a wet start for several laps longer than it was remotely needed, then use every excuse possible not to deploy it again.As to the question, in the dry it's not remotely a problem and drivers going off  at that point end up with hefty bans for being reckless and stupid (just ask Maldonado, he did that at Monaco years ago in Renault World Series and was banned for half the season), but in the wet where grip levels are so much lower and can be changing by the lap I think the procedure may need to be revised depending on where they are, such as Dunlop.

Ditto everything you said.

Overreaction would be awful here.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 22:18
I wish it were under better circumstances, but Alexander Rossi WILL be starting in his his first F1 GP this weekend in Sochi for Marussia in place of Jules Bianchi.  Kind of a bittersweet situation.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16464.html

EDIT:  And it looks like they've changed their minds and Rossi's debut will have to wait a little longer.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16470.html

Edited by MillsLayne - October 10 2014 at 03:51
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 11:51
Marussia didn't actually make the decision about whether they would run both cars until this morning, but had to register the second car regardless on Thursday in case they did decide to race it. Looks like Rossi will get his debut in Austin. FP2 times, Hamilton way ahead but Mercedes split the set up work between the two cars and found that the set up use on Hamiltons was much better, so expect Nico to be a lot closer tomorrow. McLaren looking very good this weekend, Button reckons they'll be a serious podium threat fighting with Williams and Alonso, Red Bull seem to be struggling and Kvyat looks the best of the RB cars.

PosDriverCarTimeGapLaps
1Lewis HamiltonMercedes1m39.630s-27
2Kevin MagnussenMcLaren/Mercedes1m40.494s0.864s32
3Fernando AlonsoFerrari1m40.504s0.874s32
4Nico RosbergMercedes1m40.542s0.912s30
5Valtteri BottasWilliams/Mercedes1m40.573s0.943s33
6Jenson ButtonMcLaren/Mercedes1m40.718s1.088s32
7Felipe MassaWilliams/Mercedes1m40.731s1.101s30
8Daniil KvyatToro Rosso/Renault1m41.108s1.478s32
9Sebastian VettelRed Bull/Renault1m41.396s1.766s30
10Jean-Eric VergneToro Rosso/Renault1m41.531s1.901s33
11Kimi RaikkonenFerrari1m41.630s2.000s24
12Nico HulkenbergForce India/Mercedes1m41.677s2.047s27
13Daniel RicciardoRed Bull/Renault1m42.061s2.431s25
14Sergio PerezForce India/Mercedes1m42.090s2.460s29
15Adrian SutilSauber/Ferrari1m42.233s2.603s31
16Romain GrosjeanLotus/Renault1m42.892s3.262s30
17Pastor MaldonadoLotus/Renault1m42.905s3.275s33
18Esteban GutierrezSauber/Ferrari1m43.055s3.425s33
19Marcus EricssonCaterham/Renault1m44.135s4.505s22
20Max ChiltonMarussia/Ferrari1m44.530s4.900s29
21Kamui KobayashiCaterham/Renault1m44.952s5.322s27

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 08:20
Excellent qualifying, I really thought Bottas was going to nick it right at the end there but his rear tyres gave up just before the last 2 corners. Excellent jobs from Button and Kvyat; Magnussen, Hulkenberg and Maldonado all have gearbox penalties whilst Massa had a fuel pressure problem so he'll be interesting to watch tomorrow.

1Lewis HamiltonMercedes1m38.513s-
2Nico RosbergMercedes1m38.713s0.200s
3Valtteri BottasWilliams/Mercedes1m38.920s0.407s
4Jenson ButtonMcLaren/Mercedes1m39.121s0.608s
5Daniil KvyatToro Rosso/Renault1m39.277s0.764s
6Daniel RicciardoRed Bull/Renault1m39.635s1.122s
7Fernando AlonsoFerrari1m39.709s1.196s
8Kimi RaikkonenFerrari1m39.771s1.258s
9Jean-Eric VergneToro Rosso/Renault1m40.020s1.507s
10Sebastian VettelRed Bull/Renault1m40.052s-
11Kevin MagnussenMcLaren/Mercedes1m39.629s-
12Sergio PerezForce India/Mercedes1m40.163s-
13Esteban GutierrezSauber/Ferrari1m40.536s-
14Adrian SutilSauber/Ferrari1m40.984s-
15Romain GrosjeanLotus/Renault1m41.397s-
16Marcus EricssonCaterham/Renault1m42.648s-
17Nico HulkenbergForce India/Mercedes1m40.058s-
18Felipe MassaWilliams/Mercedes1m43.064s-
19Kamui KobayashiCaterham/Renault1m43.166s-
20Max ChiltonMarussia/Ferrari1m43.649s-
21Pastor MaldonadoLotus/Renault1m43.205s-

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:16
European GP, in Azerbajian? That is even more of a stretch than Turkey being in Europe! LOL
At least geographically....culturally, well this is not the place for all that. It looks like an awesome track though! I'd love to see that. 

Yeah, I was checking on updates for Jules those couple of days fearing the worst/bad news...but by now it seems to be a stable condition, and we can only "wait and hope" as they say. 

Oh and true, we shouldn't knee jerk. I know it's human nature when something awful happens but gotta take an honest look. What a freak incident, I don't think there's a need for radical change, but certainly ways should be looked in to making sure this doesn't happen again. As Sleeper said, shouldn't need a massive change to do so. 
Also, while striving to be safe as possible, hate to be that guy... but ultimately still motor racing. 

Intrigued how the first Russian GP will go, intriguing quali for sure. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 13:21
It looks like they're bringing in controlled slow zones where they run to a delta time, like when the safety car comes out stopping everyone from racing at full speed. They're going to trial this at Austin with the view for full implementation next year.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 01:54
NASCAR's new bad boy Brad Keslowski is at it again, (it must be good to make national sports news) apparently pissing off 3 drivers in a few laps, causing Tony Stewart to back into his car on pit road, and usually cool Matt Kenseth to literally run to him and start punching the dude. Sheeeesh.

At least it was legit emotion for once, and not those hammed up show "fights" they usually put on. Like, if this sh*t is gunna happen, at least let it be for real, though the use of cars on track as fists is not cool at all...that I can't stand for. 

Unrelated, Jr really hit a skid and is way down in the points. Hope he can recover, was really hoping this could be his year. 

Hmmm, intriguing. Guess it's worth a trial. 
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 02:56
I know, it's crazy to see Kenseth react the way he did.  Everyone is finally fed up BK's antics, it seems.

And it looks like Jr., Jimmie and Brad are all in potential trouble of not making the next round, save for a win, next week at Talladega.  I'm just happy that both Gordon and Kyle Busch seem fairly safe right now.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 09:19
Bit of a dull race in Sochi, give them tyres that last forever and the grid just strings out. Unsurprisingly, Rosberg gets it wrong whilst trying to go wheel to wheel with Lewis, as long as unreliability doesn't come into it thats going to decide the title in Lewis favour.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:40
Yeah I ended up falling asleep LOL that was a snoozer. We all know Lewis is better, really thought Nico had a chance (he he still technically does of course) but yeah, it's slipped away now. 

I mean for years (I recall my college roommate, aka a few years ago now) people were talking how Keslowski was an a****le so I guess this isn't new. I was just surprised by the quantity of drivers he upset! 

Real shame, really though Jr could do it this year :(
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:48
What did Brad do?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 16:06
^The idiot attacked Matt Kenseth after the race for some on track incident. That's what happens when you drive around in circles!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 16:36
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

I know, it's crazy to see Kenseth react the way he did.  Everyone is finally fed up BK's antics, it seems.

And it looks like Jr., Jimmie and Brad are all in potential trouble of not making the next round, save for a win, next week at Talladega.  I'm just happy that both Gordon and Kyle Busch seem fairly safe right now.

LOL awesome. That's what I get for missing the race it seems. Good to see everyone is seeing what an ass Brad is. Kenseth could of totally tackled his ass too and made it worse then it was. Great stuff.

And Jr. & Jimmie can both do quite well at Talladega, but its a crap shoot everytime so we shall see what happens.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 16:41

Bit of a dull race in Sochi, give them tyres that last forever and the grid just strings out. Unsurprisingly, Rosberg gets it wrong whilst trying to go wheel to wheel with Lewis, as long as unreliability doesn't come into it thats going to decide the title in Lewis favour.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Yes, I agree.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>