FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 03:48
Wow, that was on helluva start! 

Not much to say about Merc, business as usual. 
Drive of the day has to go to Alonso. I know I'm pretty much the only here who likes him, but can't deny guy is a force. Congrats on the podium Clap

Huge drive for Ricciardo as well. 4 races in it's safe to say thus far he is clearly quicker than Vettel. Never thought I'd hear the team tell Sebastian "move over" and while his response was "tough luck" he is who felt some tough luck, Ric blew right by and I'm not sure the final times but was at least 19 seconds ahead of Seb. Did not see this coming. 
While I absolutely get it, and never have liked team orders, gotta say he really is becoming a punk. Supposedly he spoke of how well Daniel has been and that he's just beaten him fair and square. If he maintains these comments than I'll give Vettel his due. I can accept being that fierce if you at least own up to being beaten. 

After a nice first race, looks like McLaren is way off the pace. 

Edited by JJLehto - April 20 2014 at 03:54
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 03:59
Eh, I'll keep the faith. Rosberg still does lead the points...all it takes is one Hami DNF and a Nico win and that's a huge swing right back to Rosberg. 

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 12:10
I'm shocked at how poorly McLaren did today, it really does look like they are going backwards, they need a big update for Spain or they're going to be in real trouble.

Williams certainly build strong cars, if only they could remember which way round left and right is.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 18:41
Though Massa got epically screwed on that pitsop. I believe he was in the points when that 2 minute long debacle went down and pretty dropped him to last in running :(

Williams is on an upswing though, and talk about going backwards...Lotus has fallen so off I forgot they were even here!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 18:43
I feel sorry for Gorsjean, the cars starting to come good, he was on course for scoring points today until the gearbox broke.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 20:13
Unrelated, I've done most of the tracks there are thanks to all the racing games I've played, but today is the first time I've done Circuit de la Sarthe. 
Holy sh*t, that is nuts. I was scared just playing it in a gameLOL

Had no idea how bumpy that thing is! Hit 205 at one point, on that narrow road while getting thrashed up and down, thought my car was gunna take off. And all those mid-full speed turns, how the hell do people do it in real life? 
Only thing scarier was the Nordschleife. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 06:22
What game were you on? The 2010 Peugeot 908 and Audi R15+ were doing about 215mph on the run to the first chicane and Indianapolis, I expect this year there's a chance they may go even faster this year.

You have to remember that all of the Mulsane straight, the run from Mulsane corner to Indianapolis and Arnage and then on to the start of the Porsche Curves is all public roads, open for all but 5 days a year, so it has a crown and is going to be very bumpy. 

Toyota were 1 and 2 in the first race of the WEC yesterday at Silverstone, which got red flagged 30 minutes before the end when the rain got biblical, Webber's Porsche was 3rd. In 15 years of watching Sportscar racing I've never seen Audi mess up a race as badly as they did yesterday, they left their cars out when it started to rain in the first hour and Lucas di Grassi (Alan McNish's replacement) crashed the 1 car whilst the 2 car lost 3 laps before crashing out itself, complete madness.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 07:40
GT5 it was in my souped up Ferrari 458.
I actually did forget it was public roads.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 10:02
You should try it in the Group C cars, the Sauber Mercedes C9 is nuts.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:26
I managed to hit 230 mph! Bought an Enzo Ferrari and beefed it up. That thing literally eats cars alive. 
Thing handled like a death trap, but made a few adjustments and mainly I learned how to handle it finallyLOL
This is probably stupidly common sense but things like braking only in a straight line, and coasting through turns (maybe some feathering at most). It took a pretty big adjustment for me but I got it now, hitting the slowest speed right at the apex so I can "attack" through a turn and just dropping the speed quicker. It's amazing! Managed to not put a wheel off at Circuit de le Sarthe, won Monza by over a minute, all in the top series. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 06:55
Have a go with the Red Bull X2010/11! Damn thing is unbelievably quick, so much so that I can't even control it properly, and I'm pretty good at GT.  

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:37
I'll have to ease in haha  At first the Enzo went like this: Constantly getting out and in of fishtails, once in a while accelerate, spin out. It's still a bit loose, but I have it under control. Sarthe was the bane of my existence, so I was pretty proud when I kept it on track the whole time. Not an inch off, I was like Button...except hauling major ass LOL 

Nah that was mean. 

Anyway, been playing the hell out of GT and watching Top Gear with all my free time to prep for the NY auto show this Friday. Pretty damn excited by now. 

Edited by JJLehto - April 23 2014 at 10:38
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 23:35
There have a few good races so far this season in Sprint Cup, but the race in Richmond tonight was probably the best all year.  Fantastic four car battle at the end with Logano picking up his 2nd win of the year and Gordon coming up just a bit short, again.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 23:42
Excellent punch by Ambrose as well!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 02:46
I saw that!  Never did see what caused there scuffle, but I guess after Ambrose socked Mears, he was sucker punched by someone else.  And then Keselowski was pissed at Kenseth after the race, who in turn pissed off everyone else in the top 5 because he (BK) ended up causing a bit of damage to some of those cars.  Everyone but Logano seemed mad afterward. LOL
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 05:52
Indycar at Barber today, sadly Power is on poll again, Kanaan is starting last!

Long Beach just announced a 3 year extension to their contract with IndyCar, but I know Chris Pook the event founder is trying to put a deal together to get F1 back to Long Beach. It'll never happen, the track would have to be extended, facilities improved and safety standards raised as well as re surfacing the track, probably on a yearly basis. It would Bancorp Long Beach to try it IMO.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:37
Grand Prix of Alabama, love this track! 
It's just rained there, so gunna start with a wet track I reckon, not sure if rain is supposed to continue but ya know I always love a wet race. 

Sadly eh? Not a Power fan? He's certainly off to a good start that's for sure. 
RHR is in third, and since he really had Long Beach won before he screwed it up so I'm hoping he'll be a title contender again. 

I always wondered why Long Beach didn't host the USGP anymore, with it being such a great track, but I figured it was due to track/facility conditions. I know they are quite stringent in F1 with all that. I like the Texas track a lot though, so I'm cool with Long Beach being the "American Monaco" ya know? That can be "our" track. 

I still would love to see F1 slinging around LaGuna Seca but talk about track conditions... I assume I'll become President of the USA before that happensLOL

Edited by JJLehto - April 27 2014 at 13:40
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 14:10
Well it shifted in the early 80's when it wasn't a problem, can't remember what the reason was though, probably money. Wilson and Sato have both said it's a complete none starter, switching the race to F1, it's bumpy enough for IndyCars.

I do like Power, but he's already got nearly double the points of second in the championship, I really don't want him to run away with it.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 15:30
This rain delay was killer!
Kind of blew up my afternoon and I have to miss the race our put off plans, ugh...

Anywho, I didn't realize there was going to be an "Indy double header" at the old F1 course, then the 500. That is pretty awesome I have to say! 
I'm not worried, it's still early and I think a couple of others will be in contention. A Power DNF and it can all close up. 

Edit: Ugh, race has been changed to a timed limit, 1 hour 40 minutes. Kind of sucks but what can ya do?

Edited by JJLehto - April 27 2014 at 16:24
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:59
I take it the rains pretty bad? I'm deliberately avoiding the race now until it ends up on Youtube in a few days.

There's a lot of people not happy about the Indy Road Course race being held a couple of weeks before the 500, they're worried about it confusing casual fans who don't follow the series.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>