Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFaxed Head experimental metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faxed Head experimental metal
    Posted: January 05 2014 at 23:37
FAXED HEAD was yet another project from Trey Spruance of Mr Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3 fame
I'm not sure if this qualifies as prog here but it sure is weird and experimental! Perhaps just prog related?
I own all these albums and can only find a handful of tracks on YouTube

Homepage
http://www.webofmimicry.com/label.php?band=faxed_head

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/colorsofcoalinga

RYM
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/faxed_head

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 16:54
Eh, no. This sounds more like experimental humor metal with those vocals... not prog, though, sadly.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 18:48
I guess i'm still confused about the difference between "experimental" and "progressive"
To me they are somewhat overlapping terms. I know what you mean about this band.
There are more progressive tracks that i simply couldn't find to add here.
How about a progressive humorous category Embarrassed

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 23:08
So here's a serious question.
If Trey Spruance has two legit prog bands on this site: Mr Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3
Why can't his third band be considered prog related?
Seems like its more prog than other related acts like Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Jon Anderson
I have all of Faxed Head's albums and there is definately some interesting stuff.
I think some of it is even proggy!!!
I'm having a hard time with the inconsistensies of this site.
I have been told that only the site owner can delite dubious entries.
Well, if there really are dubious entries, why doesn't he delite them?

Just wondering. Thanks!!!
Wacko
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 04:52
They've been suggested twice before. Once by me,

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89273&KW=faxed+head&PID=4606180#4606180

and once by frippism

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84247&KW=faxed+head&PID=4410268#4410268

If it's any consolation silly puppy, I think they should be here as well, but my track record with metal suggestions on this site isn't good. it couldn't hurt to have the team look at them I don't think.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 04:54
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

So here's a serious question.If Trey Spruance has two legit prog bands on this site: Mr Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3Why can't his third band be considered prog related?Seems like its more prog than other related acts like Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Jon AndersonI have all of Faxed Head's albums and there is definately some interesting stuff.I think some of it is even proggy!!!I'm having a hard time with the inconsistensies of this site.I have been told that only the site owner can delite dubious entries.Well, if there really are dubious entries, why doesn't he delite them?Just wondering. Thanks!!!Wacko

It's best to not go down this road. I'm speaking from experience. Trust me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 11:52
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

They've been suggested twice before. Once by me,

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89273&KW=faxed+head&PID=4606180#4606180

and once by frippism

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84247&KW=faxed+head&PID=4410268#4410268

If it's any consolation silly puppy, I think they should be here as well, but my track record with metal suggestions on this site isn't good. it couldn't hurt to have the team look at them I don't think.

I suspected someone must have suggested them before but it doesn't hurt to suggest again, huh? What is the criteria for prog related? I think this is a clear cut case.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 11:53
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

So here's a serious question.If Trey Spruance has two legit prog bands on this site: Mr Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3Why can't his third band be considered prog related?Seems like its more prog than other related acts like Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Jon AndersonI have all of Faxed Head's albums and there is definately some interesting stuff.I think some of it is even proggy!!!I'm having a hard time with the inconsistensies of this site.I have been told that only the site owner can delite dubious entries.Well, if there really are dubious entries, why doesn't he delite them?Just wondering. Thanks!!!Wacko

It's best to not go down this road. I'm speaking from experience. Trust me.

Did they want to delete you? Ouch
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:23

What is the criteria for prog related? I think this is a clear cut case.

I suggest you read Dean's post on the subject of Prog Related in the long-established Add Buckethead thread. In this post he gives his own take on the matter, based on many years of experience, and a link to the PA definition of Prog Related which is to be found on the genre page. It should give you a pretty good idea of the criteria for this category, and also the reasons why so few bands/artists actually get added there. Smile
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:36
There's no clear-cut case for prog related, and we designed it that way. We don't want prog related to become the biggest sub, so we make it very difficult for bands to be added there.

These guys have a small chance, but you'd need to find an SC willing to champion for them.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:41
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I suggest you read Dean's post on the subject of Prog Related in the long-established Add Buckethead thread. In this post he gives his own take on the matter, based on many years of experience, and a link to the PA definition of Prog Related which is to be found on the genre page. It should give you a pretty good idea of the criteria for this category, and also the reasons why so few bands/artists actually get added there. Smile

I have read this. Actually i've read every definition for every subgenre. I think Mr Bungle is an important enough band in prog history to warrant Faxed Head as prog related. Just my opinion. Hope someone whose opinion counts agrees! Wink

Also another question. What would it matter if bands like Faxed Head were added? Is storage on servers becoming a problem? Too expensive? Just wondering Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:42
Sorry Andy, i just posted this right after you did so you kinda answered my question
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:45

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I have read this. Actually i've read every definition for every subgenre. I think Mr Bungle is an important enough band in prog history to warrant Faxed Head as prog related. Just my opinion. Hope someone whose opinion counts agrees! Wink

Also another question. What would it matter if bands like Faxed Head were added? Is storage on servers becoming a problem? Too expensive? Just wondering Big smile

It's not an economic or technical issue more than it is a reputation thing. PA, like Dean said in his PR post, has a niche reputation. With too many bands like this added, we might start to chip away at that reputation.

Granted, if an SC wants these guys here, I'll listed to them with a PR ear, but I don't think they have a place here. You're right, Mr. Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, and etc are all very important, but like the definition says, is it worth nit picking over the small details?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:05
Hi there slim canine!

I actually know these guys, which is somewhat of a surprise to most people I would think - seeing as I don't listen to that much metal anymore. Either way, Faxed Head, at least to me, resides under the huuuuuuuuuuuuuge umbrella, where one finds loads of acts, usually those who play experimental and boundary pushing music....but alas, this is a long ways from prog imo.
Sometimes it feels as if this place would be far more manageable, if only we'd change the name to Experimental Music Archives.....but then again we'd be defeating the purpose of the intentional Prog Rock Guide we've aspired to all these years. 
I've said this numerous of times elsewhere, but personally I think most of what constitutes genuine progressive music today is to be found outside of prog. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:07
When I was on the RIO team there were many cute avant-pop groups we rejected because they weren't Prog Rock.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hi there slim canine!

I actually know these guys, which is somewhat of a surprise to most people I would think - seeing as I don't listen to that much metal anymore. Either way, Faxed Head, at least to me, resides under the huuuuuuuuuuuuuge umbrella, where one finds loads of acts, usually those who play experimental and boundary pushing music....but alas, this is a long ways from prog imo.
Sometimes it feels as if this place would be far more manageable, if only we'd change the name to Experimental Music Archives.....but then again we'd be defeating the purpose of the intentional Prog Rock Guide we've aspired to all these years. 
I've said this numerous of times elsewhere, but personally I think most of what constitutes genuine progressive music today is to be found outside of prog. 

Oh absolutely, very little 'prog rock' is actually progressive and only uses the term prog rock as a blanket term for the style of music that was progressive in the 70s. Of course you will still find border-pushing prog rock bands today, but they are far rarer than they were 40 years ago.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:21
Heh I was just about to edit my post to reflect something to that effect. I mean, what I've heard from Ulver and Cabezas de Cera the past couple of years has been very progressive imho. The way you just reviewed that Exivius album, I'm betting you've found yet another one who could qualify? (Very nice write up too AndyApprove Made me write the band name down on my list, so as I can remember it the next time I got dough.)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:22
OK. I get it. Someone needs to make a thread here then and title it EXPERIMENTAL GROUPS THAT ARE COOL BUT DON'T FIT IN ON THIS SITE. I looooooooooove prog but i looooooooooove every other form of music especially music that expands beyond the parameters of established definitions. Maybe when i get rich i'll start a website called MUSIC THAT DOESN'T SUCK! It will include prog, avant garde and anything else that's weird and unorthodox. Violin

Hey Guldbamsen aka Divine! You really know Faxed Head? You're right. Never would've guessed that!  Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:31
I have yet another question! Since there is a prog archives and a metal music archives and a jazz music archives how do you start a new site in the family here? all these bands that just don't fit in anywhere else. maybe the avant garde archives? i don't know. just an idea. i'm not sure how difficult it is to start a new site like that but i would imagine not super easy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:32
You betcha! I used to hang out with all kinds of degenerates - folks into black metal (the early stuff like Burzum and Ulver), Death Metal, Trash Metal + punk and all of that jazz. We'd burn some cds and head for the woods - start bonfires and drink weird beverages with whiskey/pisang ambon/rum and low fat milk. -AND then the party got started, and things like Faxed Head, Düreforsög, Pere Ubu, Napalm Death, The Fall and other such dark and menacing groups got played. I was usually the one putting on the even weirder s.h.i.t., of which I am very proud. Didn't exactly woo women the way I intended, but it was the perfect way of establishing the man's man that I kept telling myself I was going forTongue

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>