Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMahavishnu Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Posted: January 06 2014 at 13:17
hi.....tried to find topic on these but not working......anyways discovered these the other day.....i read they were proggy and although i have heard the name  John Mclaughlin i had not heard any......i got a box set with some vouchers.....their first 3 albums and a live album and another bonus disc of live stuff.......and loving it......does anyone have any tips where to go on this......i like the heavier stuff but also would love some acoustic stuff too.Smile
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 13:39
Any of the albums up to "Visions Of The Emerald Beyond" have merit.  After that, the quality is greatly diminished.

You may want to check out the earlier McLaughlin albums, as well. 
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 13:55
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 14:45
Check out 'Spectrum' by Billy Cobham.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 14:57

For some great acoustic stuff, don't miss out on "Friday Night in San Francisco" with Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia.  Many tracks on this Youtube link: 

Also, recently he had great band that sort of went back to the Mahavishnu or electric sound, but no violin.  They were called John McLaughlin and the 4th Diminsion.  I saw their first show back in 2007, you can find a lot of their stuff at this website, Abstract Logix (I think he is somehow affiliated or helped start this site):

Couple of albums of interest in electric fusion vein are "Industrial Zen" and "Floating Point"

If the "Lost Trident Sessions" were not in your Mahvishnu collection, that is also worthy.

Have fun!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 15:14
It's a bit of a change of pace, but if you want acoustic stuff, you could check out McLaughlin's work with Shakti. 
BirdzzZ on day Flu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 15:46
Never understood the Visions of the Emerald Beyond hate. It's definitely not as good as the original line-up, but it's a tight knit collection of great songs. And the opener hauls major luggage.

martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 05:01
Cynic
Hiromi's Sonicbloom 
Shining

Edited by martinprog77 - January 07 2014 at 05:22
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 06:50
Heard a lot of Mahavishnu and very impressed - especially the live material. 

also loved

and

and first 4 albums are excellent
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 11:52

The additional live tracks on the Columbia box set are outstanding. By that point in time the band were so used to playing the Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire material ...that they played it twice the speed of the original tempo and sometimes much faster than that? I mean...it was very great ..but I miss hearing the band perform their set list from the early tour when they appeared on Don Kirshner's "In Concert". I have yet to see a release of a concert or a soundboard recording , (cleaned up), on cd.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 20:16
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 09:13
Hi,

I would love to see John Petrucci, one of these days, have some fun with Jon McLaughlin. I bet he would be one of the few folks that can keep up with him, and might even do better. The main difference might be that Mac is way more versed and comfortable in improvisation and experiment than John is.

Would be a nice ... fun ... battle of the guitars! But it has to be a fun battle!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 09:40
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I would love to see John Petrucci, one of these days, have some fun with Jon McLaughlin. I bet he would be one of the few folks that can keep up with him, and might even do better. The main difference might be that Mac is way more versed and comfortable in improvisation and experiment than John is.

Would be a nice ... fun ... battle of the guitars! But it has to be a fun battle!
This annoys the hell out of me. No offense to you and hope none is taken. It bothers me that this happens with no other existing instrument on the face of the earth. It's not just the "Guitar Hero" concept..but the idea itself that most people in society single out the guitar as an instrument designed for a contest between 2 people.....which at first seems subtle, humble...but later progresses into a duel. This has been happening in the Jazz Fusion world for decades and I find it useless because it represents the importance of the ego itself. This is when your chances of being a pure and humble musician are light years away. Now you're putting all of your energy into being very gymnastic and where does that go beyond a showboat representation of yourself?

John Mclaughlin plays scales derived from many different cultures. He improvises all of it and it is very fluent. It is very advanced work. He is also more of a schooled Jazz player from his history with Miles Davis.  
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 11:08
I love the original Mahavishnu Orchestra lineup.

Jan Hammer's debut album "The First Seven Days" is very good also (definitely some prog elements in it too). I've also enjoyed some of Billy Cobham's solo works.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 11:30
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Hi,

This annoys the hell out of me. No offense to you and hope none is taken. It bothers me that this happens with no other existing instrument on the face of the earth. It's not just the "Guitar Hero" concept..but the idea itself that most people in society single out the guitar as an instrument designed for a contest between 2 people.....which at first seems subtle, humble...but later progresses into a duel. This has been happening in the Jazz Fusion world for decades and I find it useless because it represents the importance of the ego itself. This is when your chances of being a pure and humble musician are light years away. Now you're putting all of your energy into being very gymnastic and where does that go beyond a showboat representation of yourself?

John Mclaughlin plays scales derived from many different cultures. He improvises all of it and it is very fluent. It is very advanced work. He is also more of a schooled Jazz player from his history with Miles Davis.  

I would rather watch a Steven Seagal movie.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 21:44
Jan's The First Seven Days is one of my very favorite albums, and Like Children by Jan and Jerry is fantastic, too.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 06:58

Hi,

I'm sorry Moshkito for coming across so harshly . It's not your fault...but my problem. I find guitar contests repulsive...but of course I can understand how people would like it and how it would excite them. Please understand....I hold you in the highest regard.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 07:31
I love the first 4 or 5 Billy Cobham titles. Originally had Crosswinds on LP in the 70's. I checked out his other early releases after purchasing The Best Of Billy Cobham. I kept the Best of and appreciate the track flow that many compilation releases from most artist's don't seem to have. Like Children and actually all of Jan Hammer's early releases are worthwhile. The compilation title The Early Years is a good place to start. Early solo albums from John McLaughlin are outstanding. I am not particularly fond of Devotion....although technically it is a good album....I don't care for McLaughlin's guitar tone on that album...in the same sense that I disliked his guitar tone on Miles Davis Tribute to Jack Johnson. Tribute to Jack Johnson is one of my favorite Miles Davis titles, but I dislike the McLaughlin solo at the closing of "Right Off". Devotion has the same guitar tone and it ruined the enjoyment of the album for me. McLaughlin's choice of sound/tone on every other Miles Davis recording plus his early solo works is a fine tone combined with impeccable playing.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 07:33
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Hi,

I'm sorry Moshkito for coming across so harshly . It's not your fault...but my problem. I find guitar contests repulsive...but of course I can understand how people would like it and how it would excite them. Please understand....I hold you in the highest regard.

Yep, these chop battles are tantamount to 'Ebony & Ivory' for speed typists..

Just wanted to say that the Mahavishnu Orchestra represent for me what Fusion should have been and not the hollow victory for accuracy it degenerated into very quickly
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 07:46
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Jan's The First Seven Days is one of my very favorite albums, and Like Children by Jan and Jerry is fantastic, too.

Not familiar with that one, looks worthy of checking out!  Speaking of Jerry Goodman, he also worked on an album with John Czajkowski on a project called Hectic Watermelon, The Great American Road Trip.  Very good stuff fusion/rock ecletic mix, it is listed here in PA.

Hectic Watermelon The Great American Road Trip album cover

Also, as listed by Toddler, Cobham's stuff is excellent too!

Edited by AEProgman - January 09 2014 at 07:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>