Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFAT32: Synth and Drum duo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAT32: Synth and Drum duo
    Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:03
This is a French synth and drum duo called FAT32. They definitely have a mathy element, so I wouldn't know what sub-category to put them in. Everything that you hear on the recordings is performed live, none of this is programmed, including the samples. I saw them open up for SECRET CHIEFS 3 and KAYO DOT a few years ago and I was floored. They are on Trey SPRUANCE's label Web Of Mimicry:

http://www.webofmimicry.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=93

They have a handful of live youtube vids to find as well if you get into music. I'm primarily posting this because it's been pretty difficult for me to find stuff more like this. Halp!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 10:52
Well, ideally when you post a new topic in the suggestions forum you would include a few samples actually within the post itself. The Web Of Mimicry page that you posted for this duo does give a couple of short samples, and yes there are a few live tubes to be tracked down, but the guy who looks after this forum at the moment has many other tasks to take care of on the site, and having to search out these videos so that he can make a decision regarding the eligibility of Fat32 for consideration by one of our evaluation teams (most likely Math Rock, as you already hinted at) is one extra task he could really do without.

So here are is a selection from a brief search on YouTube, and the band biography from the Web Of Mimicry site:

"From Lyon, France, this live-action musique concrete bit-crushed punk duo are long-time touring-partners with Secret Chiefs 3. It's hard to believe it's just drums and keyboards. If someone said FAT 32's music stands upon foundations erected by bands like Lightning Bolt and Hella, they would be partially right. But the quintessence of FAT32's music sparkles beyond such comparisons into regions occupied by artists like Spike Jones, Edgar Varese, Naked City and Squarepusher. Their live show so flabbergasted the members of Secret Chiefs 3 that they have dragged them all around the world for over 100 shows, and stood watching every night, never tiring of admiring FAT32's ever-shifting set. It was decided that a recorded document of this music HAD to be made. The production talents of Randall Dunn (SunnO))), Master Musicians of Bukkake, Earth, Kinski) were brought to bear, and the result is an astonishingly crushing and lucid representation of this band's irreducible formulae. With this CD, FAT32 proves that the best future-music in the digital age is still made 100% organically."
Artwork & Layout by Seldon Hunt.

This is track four off the 2011 self-titled album - called 'Hard Drive' (released as a single, would you believe!):

The rest are all live recordings

There is a myspace at https://myspace.com/fat32duo, but no samples, I'm afraid. Disapprove
And their facebook is at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fat32/130342860344643, but again it doesn't give much away. Ermm

Not really something that I would personally think would fit on our site - it's certainly experimental, but hardly what I myself would class as prog....but I'm often wrong!  Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - January 07 2014 at 11:08
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 18:02
FAT32's album is Hard Drive... how creative. LOL

Yea, I'm not feeling these guys. Interesting material, but more just an experimental rock than anything else.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 18:04
Thanks for the suggestion though - don't be pushed away because we didn't think it would fit on the site. Smile

The closest thing I can think of to these guys is Three Trapped Tigers:
Germ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 18:11
Sorry dudes. I'm new at this as you can tell, so i'm just trying my best. Three Trapped Tigers is fantastic btw!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 18:22
Originally posted by Germ Germ wrote:

Sorry dudes. I'm new at this as you can tell, so i'm just trying my best.

No apology necessary - we all started from the same level, and had to feel our way round the site in the early stages. Hang around, and it'll all gradually drop into place. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply