Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazy vs Since I've been loving you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of this songs do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [65.52%]
20 [34.48%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 11:35
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

This is a pair of cool almost blues songs (with and edge) performed by two giants of Hard Rock. Which one do you prefer?

"Since I've Been Loving You" for me. Although Page ripped off Moby Grape's "Never" (which I have yet to listen to) LZ's performance on "III" is the best track on that album. Along with Hendrix's "Red House" it's one of my two favorite blues songs.

DP's "Lazy" isn't bad at all but I much prefer the feel of SIBLY.

Making the useless useful 24/7.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 11:53
just stay in bed
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 18:22
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Guitarists who find Page laughable...later discover that his songs require precision and are technical in some cases. They are baffled and ask..."How can he get away with being sloppy?" Because he's Jimmy Page. Because he can. What else can you say really?

I hear you Toddler.  I've heard it for years, how much better Blackmore/Beck/Clapton/Satriani are than Jimmy Page, he is called sloppy, stumblefingers, etc.  And yet I'd rather listen to him play any day of the week over the others because his playing moves me, much more than those technical geniuses.  That's the bottom line...does the playing move you emotionally.  If it does, who cares about prowess?

Same with Garcia.  He'll never be mentioned in the same breath as those technical monsters and yet his playing is somehow very special.  It has space, it breathes, and it is very patient. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 20:31
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Guitarists who find Page laughable...later discover that his songs require precision and are technical in some cases. They are baffled and ask..."How can he get away with being sloppy?" Because he's Jimmy Page. Because he can. What else can you say really?

I hear you Toddler.  I've heard it for years, how much better Blackmore/Beck/Clapton/Satriani are than Jimmy Page, he is called sloppy, stumblefingers, etc.  And yet I'd rather listen to him play any day of the week over the others because his playing moves me, much more than those technical geniuses.  That's the bottom line...does the playing move you emotionally.  If it does, who cares about prowess?Same with Garcia.  He'll never be mentioned in the same breath as those technical monsters and yet his playing is somehow very special.  It has space, it breathes, and it is very patient. 

And what about Gilmour? There's just something on his playing, which sholdn't be too difficult for more technical guitar players to emulate. However, I have not heard any other player get that kind of emotion out of a guitar.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 20:45
Good example...Dave is not flashy but has all the emotion and ambiance....wonderful and one of a kind

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 21:39

I hear you Toddler.  I've heard it for years, how much better Blackmore/Beck/Clapton/Satriani are than Jimmy Page, he is called sloppy, stumblefingers, etc.  And yet I'd rather listen to him play any day of the week over the others because his playing moves me, much more than those technical geniuses.  That's the bottom line...does the playing move you emotionally.  If it does, who cares about prowess?Same with Garcia.  He'll never be mentioned in the same breath as those technical monsters and yet his playing is somehow very special.  It has space, it breathes, and it is very patient. 

And what about Gilmour? There's just something on his playing, which sholdn't be too difficult for more technical guitar players to emulate. However, I have not heard any other player get that kind of emotion out of a guitar.

The only one that comes close to that style is Steve Rothery from Marillion.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:47

I agree totally. Did you ever hear his lead work on "Over, Under, Sideways, Down from The Yardbirds live at Anderson Theatre? He also plays "White Summer" on electric and OMG...what a great performance he gives. He has the fire from within and especially his tone on the first Zep album. People often complain that Zep is over played ...yet try performing "Black Dog" 5 or 6 nights a week and see if you don't eventually louse it up somewhere along the road. Jimmy Page was a fine writer too.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:52

I agree totally. His feel when bending strings and phrasing notes is often a task to master regarding producing the overall effect he has when he is heard over a sound system. Many fine guitarists I know have trouble emulating his overall attack and it's because of his great originality. I love Gilmour's style.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 23:48
Page isn't really sloppy, He just think and plays outside of the box and this is not easy for people who love absolutely correct precision (e.g. me normally). Best to think of it as spontaneously inverted harmonies at best. Really he has too when playing a scale for 10 minutes. I have heard him where he has been sloppy bad (on some boots).. (All My love, he never got a part together for that piece) versus Stairway when he took over Plants' vocal on guitar and wrote his singer out of the plot for a few minutes)....

Sloppiness as a band? Check Dazed after the final solo on Celebration Day. Skilfully edited train wreck, but still interesting.

In guitar progression Satriani is probably "better" than anyone (...Vai?). But with the unique identities of all these fine axe masters it may take a long time before even he can get to the pop culture depth all the above have.

Vague superlatives such as "better", and "best" need to be defined in posts better. (IMVVVHO)...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 01:12
For those that say Page was sloppy ; I think, at times Steve Howe could be somewhat sloppy too. And not to forget, what they're playing is never exactly simple, nor conventional.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 06:11
^ I wish I was sloppy like him then.
I-Juca Pirama View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 16:31
I regret I voted on Lazy. I've just listened to SIBLY and my mind rapidly changed. Cry
Without charity, there is no salvation
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 21:16
Originally posted by I-Juca Pirama I-Juca Pirama wrote:

I regret I voted on Lazy. I've just listened to SIBLY and my mind rapidly changed. Cry

Well, at least Since I've been loving you is clearly winning, so your vote won't really do much damage.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 02:51
Since I've Been Loving You, one of my favorite LZ songs
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 03:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Since I've Been Loving You, one of my favorite LZ songs
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 03:57
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

For those that say Page was sloppy ; I think, at times Steve Howe could be somewhat sloppy too. And not to forget, what they're playing is never exactly simple, nor conventional.

Sloppy is not a bad connotation in music - at least not for me, just as a sloppy bj isn't too shabby eitherBig smile
Sometimes I may even prefer the rugged and more carefree approach. Hell most of the time I do. If I want a metronome on my stereo (or in bed) I'd trade in my ticker for a Swiss power clock instead and be done with it altogether.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 15:59
^ if the chick is hot, it's never sloppy..........
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 22:21
I love them both but "Since I've Been Loving You", has, as mentioned elsewhere, more emotion and totally encapsulates how I feel about the blues in music.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 04:47
Lazy (Made in Japan version)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 05:01
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

I haven't yet met the quals to vote in polls.  However, Dellinger's post is valuable because I've always stayed away from listening to Deep Purple.  They've always struck me as a less creative version of Uriah Heep, and I don't like primarily keyboard-driven rock.  However, I will know listen to Lazy and probably enjoy it.  Since I've Been Loving You is the best song on the substandard Led Zeppelin III album.

Substandard?! Led Zeppelin 3?!! Really?!!!! Find me another album that mixes great blue grass guitar (Bron Yr Aur Stomp, the catchy heaveiness of Out On The Tiles (a hit single for anyone else, Zeppelin couldn't be bothered), the awesome power of Immigrant Song - check JPJ's bass work in what would be choruses to another band. Who else is cool enough to introduce the bass at the end of (the C guitar tuning of That's The Way) near the end of the number which has already such aural depth. Tangerines' delicacy and precise solo, the understated evil of Friends, the monumetal chord structure for SIBLY, the trikery of the usal end of album blues in Hat's Off. And that most odd ball of hard rock numbers Celebration Day.

Not to mention the revisit in the Page Plant Unledded: No Quarter Days where the (no, I hadn't forgotten) was based around Gallows Pole and the often neglected Four Sticks from the wonderful fourth album. Both numbers incidentally were played once or twice in the Zeppelin live time but finally got their recognition in the 1990s

I wish there were more sub-standard albums like this, I'd be more broke than ever.

Deep Purple were masters of the intertwining riff in e.g. loads of In Rock, had orchestral works (Concerto x 2 and The Gemini Suite). They were fine improvisers and still give great concert. Lazy when done complete is a lot of fun and another refreshing take on the Blues.

Oh and bothe bands are drum driven. Ian paice was there from there beginning and still there; no Bonham, no Zeppelin.

Outside interest by Purple members reveal the depth and breadth, Paice's big band jazz, the soul (Hughes), Glover's theatrical productions, Blackmore and folk, Bolin and jazz, Lord's classical music. To get an idea I recommend the Second Concerto recording with a lot of solo ventures on disc 1 and that riveting CD 2. Their friend Ronnie Dio turns up to help out on Smoke. And the orchestral ballads are stunning performances.

Approve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>