Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transatlantic's New Studio Album ‘Kaleidoscope'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransatlantic's New Studio Album ‘Kaleidoscope'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transatlantic's New Studio Album ‘Kaleidoscope'
    Posted: January 09 2014 at 12:36
For Immediate Release

TRANSATLANTIC TO RELEASE NEW STUDIO ALBUM KALEIDOSCOPE ON JAN 28, 2014
ANNOUNCES WORLD TOUR JAN 31 - MAR 15, 2014

Good things come to those who wait. Transatlantic fans are accustomed to playing the waiting game, and their patience has been rewarded with the band's fourth official studio album, Kaleidoscope. Steeped in vibrant prog rock organics, it's a triumphant return to the band’s original creative style.

The beloved prog rock project featuring Neal Morse (ex-Spock's Beard), Mike Portnoy (The Winery Dogs, ex-Dream Theater), Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion), Transatlantic's foundation was built in 1999 with the release of their debut album, SMPT:e, in 2000. A second studio album, Bridge Across Forever, solidified their position as prog’s definitive supergroup. It would be nine years before Transatlantic’s fans were rewarded with a new studio album: 2009’s The Whirlwind, the band’s most popular release to date. Following the subsequent tour, spawning two live DVDs, the band decided to record a new studio album as soon as they could.

"There was talk about a year ago about doing an album before we actually did it," reveals Morse. "I was feeling it for a while. Some of the music that ended up on my Momentum album (2012) seemed like good material for Transatlantic. Roine and my schedules have a little more space in them, and Pete and Mike's schedules finally aligned, so we were able to put this together. I'm just glad we got to do it again and I'm really happy with the way the album came out."

Morse, Portnoy, Stolt and Trewavas shared equally in the songwriting, with Portnoy ultimately sifting through the material and picking out what he felt was best. For the most part, the music that fans hear on Kaleidoscope (and all of their previous albums) was created for Transatlantic. There are, of course, exceptions. “I wrote the second song on Kaleidoscope, “Shine,” before my Momentum album came out," says Morse. "I thought about recording it for myself, but it just smelled of Transatlantic. I presented it with two other acoustic songs, and that’s the one the other guys chose, as well.”

The band convened at Neal’s studio in Tennessee; writing, arranging, and laying down the final drums and bass. Morse offers, “At this stage, we sketch out the house and build the foundation. Then Roine and I go off to our respective studios and do what we need to. We send those parts, including vocals, back and forth via the internet; but the writing is done together in Tennessee. We just go from the gut, and I think it's an amazing process of trusting each other. There's no shortage of ideas; it's more like which ideas do we want to use?"

As the fans have come to expect, Kaleidoscope is also available as a Special Edition featuring eight uniquely Transatlantic cover songs. "I don't know how it started," Morse says of the cover song tradition. "But we've done it for every album. It's a lot of fun because most of the time it's simpler music than what we're mainly involved with."

There are points during the journey through Kaleidoscope where the listener will be reminded of artists like Yes, early Genesis, and even Styx. But in the end, the album is distinctly Transatlantic before it can be compared to anyone else.

"I think that comes from the different ingredients," says Morse. "It's the four of us from all over the world—with our different backgrounds, cultures and musical history—that makes this band totally unique."

The band will embark on a six-week world tour January 31 – March 15, with an additional performance at the Sweden Rock festival June 4-7. They will be joined by Pain of Salvation’s Daniel Gildenlöw as a 5th touring member. The tour will include headlining the Progressive Nation At Sea 2014 Cruise,February 18-22, alongside 22 other leading prog acts including Adrian Belew Power Trio, Devin Townsend Project, King's X, Anathema and Spock’s Beard. The event will also feature a special performance of Yes material by Transatlantic with legendary singer Jon Anderson on vocals.

Transatlantic – Kaleidoscope (75:50)

1. Into The Blue (25:13)
I. Overture (Instrumental) 
II. The Dreamer And The Healer 
III. A New Beginning 
IV. Written In Your Heart 
V. The Dreamer And The Healer (Reprise)
2. Shine (07:28)
3. Black As The Sky (06:45) 
4. Beyond The Sun (04:31) 
5. Kaleidoscope (31:53) 
I. Overture (Instrumental) 
II. Ride The Lightning
III. Black Gold
IV. Walking The Road 
V. Desolation Days 
VI. Lemon Looking Glass (Instrumental) VII. Feel The Lightning (Reprise) 

Bonus CD: 

1. And You And I (Yes) 
2. Can't Get It Out Of My Head (ELO) 
3. Conquistador (ProcolHarum)
4. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John)
5. Tin Soldier (Small Faces)
6. Sylvia (Focus)
7. Indiscipline (King Crimson)
8. Nights In White Satin (The Moody Blues)

Line-Up:
RoineStolt - Electric guitars, vocals
Pete Trewavas - Bass, Vocals
Neal Morse – Keys, Guitars, Vocals
Mike Portnoy - Drums,Vocals

An Evening With Transatlantic 2014 World Tour

Jan 31st - Los Angeles, CA - El Segundo Performing Arts Center
Feb 1st - San Francisco, CA
Feb 2nd - Seattle, WA
Feb 4th - Chicago, IL - The Arcada Theater
Feb 5th - Quebec City, Canada - Theatre Du Capitole
Feb 6th - Montreal, Canada - L'Olympia
Feb 7th - Boston, MA
Feb 8th - Philadelphia, PA - Keswick Theater
Feb 9th - New York City, NY - Highline Ballroom
Feb 11th - Mexico City, Mexico - Teatro Metropolitan
Feb 13th - São Paulo, Brazil
Feb 14th - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Feb 15th - Santiago, Chile
Feb 18th to 22nd - Progressive Nation At Sea
Feb 27th - Madrid, Spain - La Rivera
Feb 28th - Barcelona, Spain - Razzmatazz 2
March 2nd - Milan, Italy - Alcatraz
March 3rd - Rome, Italy - Orion
March 5th - Pratteln, Switzerland - Z7
March 6th - Karlsruhe, Germany - Substage
March 7th - Munich, Germany - Muffathalle
March 8th - Berlin, Germany - Astra
March 9th - Cologne, Germany - E Werk
March 11th - Antwerp, Belgium - Trix
March 12th - London, England - The Forum
March 13th - Tilburg, Holland - 013
March 14th - Tilburg, Holland - 013
March 15th - Paris, France - Le Bataclan
June 4th-7th - Sweden Rock Festival

Studio Album Discography
SMPT:e (2000)
Bridge Across Forever (2001)
The Whirlwind (2009)
Kaleidoscope (2014)

Press Contact
Glass Onyon PR

Transatlantic Online:

Progressive Nation Cruise

Radiant Records
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 18:23
I need to be able to start listening to this album, for I'm ready for the Mexico City show, but want to know the songs before the show, so I can truly enjoy them. So far, I've only been able to listen to "Shine" on youtube, and indeed I hope the rest of the album is better. The song isn't particularly bad, but neither do I like very much. Also, I would like to know what they will be playing. If only they played The Whirlwind completley again it would be the best I could hope for (unless the new album ended up being just as good).
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 21:09
Dying to see them here in Asia.

I love Transatlantic, but their definition of 'world' in the press release is limited to only America and Europe (truly trans-atlantic) and no Asia, Australia or Africa.

And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 21:36
Originally posted by terryl terryl wrote:

Dying to see them here in Asia. I love Transatlantic, but their definition of 'world' in the press release is limited to only America and Europe (truly trans-atlantic) and no Asia, Australia or Africa.

Well, I guess they shouldn't call it "World Tour", but rather "Transatlantic Tour". And I understand they'll even play over the Atlantic Ocean during the tour.
PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 05:45
Listened to the album twice now. All I can say is that I'm getting really bored of Roine's guitar solo. Nothing new here, only long jams to push the songs to the 25-30 min mark.. That's a shame because I really loved The Whirlwind. I'll listen to it more so maybe it will click. Anyway I'm happy to see them in Quebec in 2 weeks.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 20:52
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

Listened to the album twice now. All I can say is that I'm getting really bored of Roine's guitar solo. Nothing new here, only long jams to push the songs to the 25-30 min mark.. That's a shame because I really loved The Whirlwind. I'll listen to it more so maybe it will click. Anyway I'm happy to see them in Quebec in 2 weeks.

I too am waiting to see them soon, 11 Feb, so I'm guessing you'll see them first . Make sure to write a review, I'd really like to know what they are playing. As for the new album, I haven't heard it yet, but I hope I get to listen to it several times before the concert, at least on Youtube or something. However, for the little I've heard from the album (2 songs), I'm kind of losing hope... I still haven't heard the 2 epics, but the other 2 aren't particularly memorable... good, but just that, the Whirlwind was all fantastic (except for the very last song that didn't do much for me). I'm really wishing that for some reason they may choose to play The Whirlwind complete again on this tour, but since that is not so likely, then at least I hope they play a very good portion of it.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 14:57
It's all subject but I find the two epics stellar especially the title track, though the Whirlwind will always be my love! 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 21:08
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

It's all subject but I find the two epics stellar especially the title track, though the Whirlwind will always be my love! 

Well, I hope I will share your opinion, for I still haven't heard the epics. Even though I have not been particularly fond of their epics on their first two albums... I kind of feel they strive too hard to make the songs longer, and that hurts the quality of the songs. The one I really like is "My new World" from the first album (if I remember the name correctly). And well, I also kind of like "Duel with the Devil", though that one could easily have been 5 or 10 min shorter and still be an awsome epic. Plus, I don't really like epics to be longer than 30 min... or perhaps even 25 min, because if it's actually a bit difficult to find moments in which one can hear an epic, when they go over 25 or 30 min it becomes even harder.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 21:20
I received my 3-LP box set today.....so just started spinning. Into the Blue is pretty amazing to me! Wife and I see them live next weekend....Gonna be a great show for sure! She has a new camera so unless they do not allow pics at the venue, I will post tons as well as setlist.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 24 2014 at 21:35
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 01:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I received my 3-LP box set today.....so just started spinning. Into the Blue is pretty amazing to me! Wife and I see them live next weekend....Gonna be a great show for sure! She has a new camera so unless they do not allow pics at the venue, I will post tons as well as setlist.

I'm getting the coloured vinyl too, I can't wait. And may I ask what model your turntable is? Just curious
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 08:44
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, I hope I will share your opinion, for I still haven't heard the epics. Even though I have not been particularly fond of their epics on their first two albums... I kind of feel they strive too hard to make the songs longer, and that hurts the quality of the songs. The one I really like is "My new World" from the first album (if I remember the name correctly). And well, I also kind of like "Duel with the Devil", though that one could easily have been 5 or 10 min shorter and still be an awsome epic. Plus, I don't really like epics to be longer than 30 min... or perhaps even 25 min, because if it's actually a bit difficult to find moments in which one can hear an epic, when they go over 25 or 30 min it becomes even harder.

I love My New World too. That one has grown on me. I can say one thing for sure the Gildenlow section in Into The Blue is powerful!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 12:41
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

I'm getting the coloured vinyl too, I can't wait. And may I ask what model your turntable is? Just curious

Its a wonderful album.......My table is a Music Hall mmf-7.1

Cheers
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 13:34
All of the tracks on the main album (except Shine) were (maybe still are) on Youtube - plus some of the bonus tracks too - so I had a good listen. Black as the Sky impressed straight away, whereas Beyond The Sun sounded like an inferior Bridge Across Forever. I did like the two epics though, especially the title track, which I managed to listen to once before it was removed (the uploader put an ad for a "get rich quick" scheme as his video, which must be against the rules because a couple of hours later his account was closed!).

I just had an  e mail from Amazon telling me that my CD is in the post Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 14:37

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I love My New World too. That one has grown on me. I can say one thing for sure the Gildenlow section in Into The Blue is powerful!

Gildenlow won't be able to be present at the first shows of the tour... including the one I'm attending. He seems to have had some rather nasty health problems
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 14:38
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

All of the tracks on the main album (except Shine) were (maybe still are) on Youtube - plus some of the bonus tracks too - so I had a good listen. Black as the Sky impressed straight away, whereas Beyond The Sun sounded like an inferior Bridge Across Forever. I did like the two epics though, especially the title track, which I managed to listen to once before it was removed (the uploader put an ad for a "get rich quick" scheme as his video, which must be against the rules because a couple of hours later his account was closed!).

I just had an  e mail from Amazon telling me that my CD is in the post Smile

I don't know if I'll be able to get the album before I see the concert... so I hope I'll be able to be listening to it at leas through Youtube meanwhile.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:20

Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

Its a wonderful album.......My table is a Music Hall mmf-7.1

Cheers

Wow! I recently bought a Pro-ject Essential turntable (nothing compared to yours..Wink), and am looking forward to giving the new TA a spin on it
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:28
I will order on payday (Friday).

The wife told me I couldn't afford it until thenLOL

Really looking forward to getting this one.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 08:02
As usual, another quality release by TA.

As someone mentioned, the epics (Into the Blue and Kaleidoscope) are excellent.   That said, "Shine: and "Black, as the Sky" (TA rocks out??) stuck with me more than I expected.  

Still in the early stages of the mandatory 10 listens before a prog album can be rated. 

Smile

Saw the Whirlwind tour in LA, but won't be able to make this one.

Edited by ProgVanWinkle - January 26 2014 at 08:04
ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 08:05
A sample review:

Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope (Review)

Posted by Brad Birzer

Transatlantic, Kaleidoscope (Radiant/Metal Blade/Inside Out, 2014).

The opening few moments of Kaleidoscope transition perfectly from the band’s previous outing, The Whirlwind.  The atmospherics and sound effects cause the listener to imagine the Transatlantic blimp/starship landing in a Close Encounters sort of way.

The band, it seems, readily survived the whirlwind, and they’ve come back to tell us about their adventures.

Despite the opening few moments of transition (over six minutes, actually) from the last album, Kaleidoscope has far more in common, in terms of structure and themes, with SMPT:e and Bridge Across Forever than it does with their 2009 masterpiece.  It’s eclectic, to be sure, but . . .

. . . this is pure and glorious Transatlantic in every way.

And, what can one say about Transatlantic that hasn’t been said?  These four guys not only embody traditional symphonic prog in their music, they live it and promote it and love it and cause lots of other folks to feel the same.  A Transatlantic album is never just another offering, it’s always a moment in prog history.

tarnsatlantickaleidocd_600

Cohesive Community or Autonomous Individuals?

Yet, for me, it’s hard to think of Transatlantic as a band as much as I think of them as four friends, getting together to jam next to each other.  Big Big Train, for example, always sounds like a group of brilliant individuals who have agreed to build an album while working firmly as a cohesive unit, a community without bounds.  TA, though, sounds like four very separate individuals who want to play next to and around one another.  It’s even a blast listening to TA albums, thinking, oh that’s Neal’s part, that’s Roine’s, that Mike’s, or that’s Pete’s.

Write that Mystery Board. . . let the deal go down.

Write that Mystery Board. . . let the deal go down.

One picture in the accompanying booklet even mysteriously shows a white board with the parts of each member.  Were I still sixteen, I would spend hours trying to decipher the meaning of it all in some gnostic fashion.  Sadly, that was 30 years ago, and I have no such time, though the desire remains.

While thinking of modern prog groups, BBT reminds me much more of 1973 Genesis, while TA reminds me of 1971 Yes.  Not that either is retro, as they both are their own and no one else’s, of course.

Or, to put it in military terms, BBT is an Anglo-American Marine unit and TA is a group of late medieval Berserkers, ready to challenge the enemy through individual honor.  To take this a bit further, Andy Tillison of The Tangent would be leading a cavalry charge uphill.

Ok, enough comparisons, but even the title of the new TA album is revealing, as a series of overlapping, reflecting images.  Appropriately, each song title deals with a color or a type of light.

A Beautifully-Fractured Whole

When the video of “Shine” appeared online, a number of proggers on the internet loved the song, of course (who doesn’t love TA?), but worried about the direction of Transatlantic, wondering if the whole album would have such a praise and worship feel.  Fear not!  As a song, Shine, seems like nothing else on the album.  Except, perhaps, for Neal’s one solo contribution and paean to hope, “Beyond the Sun.”  The latter, though, bleeds directly into the 32-minutes finale, “Kaleidoscope,” and serves as an effective prologue.

The first song, “Into the Blue,” doesn’t really pick up until several minutes into the song and past the atmospherics, the transition from The Whirlwind.  At 25 minutes, this is an adventure.  Rather than it building and building, it builds, falls, and builds again several times.  At moments, it sounds like pure TA, at other times, it sounds very much like a sequel to TFK’s Desolation Rose.  Even the creepy, ominous voice that appeared on TFK’s “Bavarian Skies” and “White Tuxedos” makes a cameo here on “Into the Blue.”  Very welcome, though, is the cameo vocals of Daniel Gildenloew.  Of all of the songs on the album, this is by far the most religious, lyrically, especially the references to St. Paul’s writings (Galatians and Romans).  The religion never becomes blatant, though, and it will probably seem merely a Jon Anderson-like love of the Cosmos for most listeners.

Everyone who loves TA has already had a chance to hear “Shine,” so I won’t go into details here, except to state that it 1) fits the albums; and 2) has a sitar part at the beginning I didn’t catch in the video.

My favorite track, by far, is “Black as the Sky.”  Every member of TA is in top form, but especially  good are Roine’s vocals and the rhythm and interplay of Mike and Pete.  Phew.  Amazing.  I hope they start off the concert with this.  Talk about a rocking intro, one sure to enliven the entire crowd immediately.  The song, though, did make me a little sad.  If this were still 1982, this song would absolutely dominate album rock radio in America, and TA would be one of the best selling artists and bands in music.

The fourth track, “Beyond the Sun,” the only song credited to a single member of TA, Neal, is best described as something Anderson and Wakeman could have written around 1989.  Neal’s voice, of course, sounds absolutely nothing like Anderson’s, but this track is as ABWH as it gets.

As mentioned earlier, it blends perfectly into the final track, the grand epic, Kaleidoscope.  Pure TA.  As Mike said in one concert, “nothing but epics.”  This is epic symphonic prog, to be sure, and it ends the album as well as “Into the Blue” opened it.  The difference is that the lyrics of this song are as psychological as the lyrics of the opening are religious.  Ultimately, this song deals with accepting the pains of the world and making the most of them.  The interplay of Neal’s and Roine’s vocals is especially good, and it’s rather jaw dropping when Roine’s voice, in the third movement of the song, sings “And so the king of karma lost his only son.”  It’s one of those just perfect moments that we proggers so often crave.

transatlanticband2014_638

Covered and Uncovered

The bonus cd has 8 additional tracks all covers, featuring music from Yes, Elton John, the Small Faces, King Crimson, the Moody Blues, and several others.  Clearly, Morse and Portnoy love covering their favorite tracks as so many of their albums attest.  Generally, as is usual with Morse and Portnoy, the covers are not reimaginings of old songs (think of Glass Hammer’s reimagining of “South Side of the Sky”), but truly straight-forward covers of each.  To my mind, the best covers on disk two are ELO’s “Can’t Get It Out of My Head” and “Tin Soldier” by the Small Faces.

The third disk, a DVD, has the Shine video and two vignettes.  I only received Kaleidoscope, Saturday afternoon, so I’ve not had the chance to watch these yet.  My apologies!  I will, and I’ll either post something separately or add to this review.

555062_10151819965746293_706022123_n

Summa

Admittedly, I’m at a point, where there’s nothing from Stolt, Morse, or TA that I won’t buy, devour, and cherish.  So, my view is probably not as objective as it could be.  I can state this, though: this is a work of beauty, a work of four musical warriors taking on the music scene and doing so with integrity, class, and majesty.

Kaleidoscope is a more than worthy follow-up to The Whirlwind, contains some truly stunning moments, and returns us, at least in form, to the best of TA before the six-year long hiatus.  Highly recommended.

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 13:49
Yeah Black as the Sky is a grower for me. That was a surprise! You know a TA track I often forget, the bonus track Spinning. Wonderful piece. But anyway listening through the album again to digest more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>