Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSummer's End 2014. Any news?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer's End 2014. Any news?
    Posted: January 11 2014 at 06:19
I'm wondering if anyone's heard anything about this year's Summer's End(mainly which weekend it's on)? I missed the last one due to work commitments and I'm hoping that this year it coincides with my days offSmile
it's in the way that you use it
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 06:26
Not yet as far as I know, Steve doesnt tend to start giving out the information until February or March when they have the first couple of bands signed up.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 05:18
^^ Have you been attending the 'Summer's End' festivals over the past few years, Andy?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:08
Yes, this year would be my 9th straight festival. It's also Summers End's 10th running so I wonder if tey'll be able to come up with something special.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 09:18
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yes, this year would be my 9th straight festival. It's also Summers End's 10th running so I wonder if tey'll be able to come up with something special.

that's brilliant! can you pick any highlights from the sets you've seen over the past decade?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 10:32
2006: White Willow, Strangefish and The Flower Kings all put on excellent performances.
2007: Pure Reason Revolution put on an excellent show, before Electro Pop  became their major influence, and Pain of Salvation were stunning.
2008: Threshold were very impressive, especially Johan Jame who was still knocking out the drum solos despite dislocating his shoulder the week before (I remember and Dean were there on the Friday night for Seasons End and Threshold), IQ and The Tangent/Beardfish combo were also very good.
2009: Steve Hackett, Pallas and Pendragon were exceptional.
2010: Haken were great (Tom MacLean is a great guy to chat with as well), The Watch were very good (never would have thought what amounted to a Genesis tribute band with a few of their own songs thrown in would have made an exceptional closer to the festival) and Phideaux was an amazing performance.
2011: Overall I think this is the best year they've had, Lazuli, Caravan, Arena, Headspace, The Tangent and Maschine (called Concrete Lake at the time) were all brilliant and the other bands were all pretty good as well.
2012: Knifeworld, Wobbler, Cyan, The Cryptic Clues (Twelfth Night by a different name) and The Enid were all excellent.
2013: Sylvan were very good (surprisingly since I'm not a fan of their albums and the last time they played here they were pretty lackluster), Focus were brilliant and Thumpermonkey were an excellent find but special mention goes to Lazuli, that was arguably the best set I've ever seen and really can't wait for their UK tour in November.

I'll also mention the sole running of the Fused Festival Huw put on in 2011.  Finally got to see Vanden Plas after the abortive attempt with Prog Power UK III. Threshold and Haken were as good as ever and Toxic Smile, Hookah the Fuzz and Day Six were good finds. A shame it's become clear that a Prog Metal festival in the UK is pretty unviable. 

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 11:19
^^ thanks Andy; that's a very detailed post! you must have a brilliant memory!
anaesthetist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 14:13
Looking at Sleeper's list,it must've been 2011 when I went. I could've sworn it was only a year ago. I missed the Friday night that time due to work but I'm hoping to catch Lazuli when they tour with Moon Safari in November
it's in the way that you use it
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 16:46
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

^^ thanks Andy; that's a very detailed post! you must have a brilliant memory!

Not quite, I could remember the performances but with half of them I had to run a google search to remember the year!LOL

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 02:37
do you also go to that Prog festival they've started to hold in North Wales each March?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 07:52
I can only really afford to go to the one festival each year so I've kept on support SE, on average it tends to have better lineups than other festivals as well.

tonyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 05:23
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

do you also go to that Prog festival they've started to hold in North Wales each March?

I'm fairly new to Summers End, having just been the last 2 years, and hoping to go again this year. I have to agree with the earlier post about Lazuli, they were exceptional. I'm hoping to see them again on their UK tour at the end of this year.

I'm presuming your comment above is referring to HRH prog. We went last year when it was held at the Magna in Rotherham. The line-up was very good, but the place was so cold that the bands were complaining, and it made enjoying the music difficult. Also the organisation is wholly commercially based, providing a very different experience from the fan orientated festivals such as Summers End, Danfest and Celebr8. Its each to their own, but I shan't be going to HRH again.
tonyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 10:52
Just found this on the Summers End Facebook page:

Advanced new of Summers End 2014. It'll be our tenth anniversary - so that's SE X. This year it will be on September 26 / 27 / 28. Location is still to be confirmed, so we recommend that you DO NOT book accomodation in the Forest of Dean just yet!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 11:21
^^ thanks for the update Tony...

re your previous post, I've been out of the loop for some time and assumed that the HRH prog fest had also been held in North Wales last year; didn't realise it had moved venues. Interesting that it had been held in Rotherham... did it have anything to do with the Classic Rock Soc/ Martin Hudson, or was this a mere geographical coincidence?

Anyway, Flower Kings & Fish probably aren't big enough draws to make me travel to the North Wales coast for a weekend, so I think I'll give it a miss.

Best Wishes....
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:14
Location to be confirmed? Thats ominous, have the locals thrown them out of Lydney now?

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:16
^^ maybe they need a bigger venue? it's always been quite well subscribed to, hasn't it?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 15:26
Certainly since around 2009/10 they've had very good crowd numbers, though I'm skeptical about how many more they could pull (maybe being closer to a big city will help with that, I don't know). However, it's been the sale of food, booze and t-shirts that has let them cover the costs (proggers sure can drink!).  

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 15:43
well, maybe the Hall got double booked, and the Lydney WI got in first?
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
tonyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 03:21
[QUOTE=Jared]^^ thanks for the update Tony...

re your previous post, I've been out of the loop for some time and assumed that the HRH prog fest had also been held in North Wales last year; didn't realise it had moved venues. Interesting that it had been held in Rotherham... did it have anything to do with the Classic Rock Soc/ Martin Hudson, or was this a mere geographical coincidence?

/QUOTE]

Don't know why it was in Rotherham last year. Don't believe CRS had anything to do with it. Was just another of the HRH festivals. They ran 2 at the same time in Magna, HRH Prog had half the building, while HRH AOR used the rest. There was plenty of room, except in the food hall, which was mobbed as it was very small, and used by both festivals.

I can't comment on why Summer's End may be moving. It will be a shame as the hall at Lydney is perfect. I'd be surprised (but not disappointed) if it was because numbers were expected to exceed capacity. Only time will tell.
tonyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 02:41
A little more here from Steve Lamb (the festival organiser):

"I'm not making too much noise until we've confirmed the venue - Lydney as usual we hope. Strangely enough, even though it's not even the end of January, we have 75% of the line up sorted already. SE X (Summers End 10) is going to be - well - pretty sexy!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>