Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedComedy of Errors - Best Find 2013!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 09:01
LOL

You're probably right Scott. I think I overdosed on a lot of symph when I first got into prog, which is why it's very seldom you see me posting Yes/Genesis covers nowadays.

...........'Son prog'LOL I love it! 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 09:46
"Dad-prog" , that's perfect, it's absolutly my cup of tea. Or in my case should I call it mum-prog? LOL
And I really like that Comedy of Errors album. Q.E.D.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:15
Well I can see that the CoE CD is clearly a "Marmite" CD.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:17
LOL 
Either you love it or you hate it, I'm guessing? (I'm Danish so some of these Brit expressions do have a tendency to fly beneath the radar)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOL 

Either you love it or you hate it, I'm guessing? (I'm Danish so some of these Brit expressions do have a tendency to fly beneath the radar)

AYE - welcome to the world of English colloquialisms , English spoken by so many people and yet the living language is diversifying from "The queens English" at a frightening rate. I had a look at your review list - and it is safe to say that I haven't listened to 99.9% of the CD's that you have rated - so we can see that our taste is definitely NOT CONVERGANT - However - I can see from your signature - that you are a fan of Douglas Adams - One of my favourite authors and in fact I have read ALL of his output!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:32
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

LOL 

AYE - welcome to the world of English colloquialisms , English spoken by so many people and yet the living language is diversifying from "The queens English" at a frightening rate. I had a look at your review list - and it is safe to say that I haven't listened to 99.9% of the CD's that you have rated - so we can see that our taste is definitely NOT CONVERGANT - However - I can see from your signature - that you are a fan of Douglas Adams - One of my favourite authors and in fact I have read ALL of his output!!!

Handshake Nice to meet you Barney.

....and don't worry if you don't know anything from my review list - I do have a vast collection of prog classics. I just find that it's far more interesting for me, and the folks reading - when I focus on albums with little or nothing written about them.

Huuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Douglas Adams, yet as much as I love the Hitch-hiker's series, it's the Dirk Gently novels that really do it for me. 

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:37
Aye - the holistic detective, is his finest creation ! It has been some time since I read those, I am currently in "reference" book mode, and may well enter "novel" mode when I go on holiday later in the year!!
My prog collection is mainly symphonic in origin although I do have a large collection of metal/prog metal/classical CD's also. Do you read in Danish or English? I am very conscious of my English outlook and I am very jealous of everybody who is bi or even tri-lingual !!!

Edited by M27Barney - January 14 2014 at 10:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:52
Heh my collection is all over the place, genre-wise that is. Everything from Genesis and Cressida to Comus, Amon Düül ll and Trance/Jazz/you name it.

As for my reading habits: I tend to go for the original lingo and can't really imagine reading Adams, Huxley, Kerouac or Orwell in Danish. Other languages where I don't need the Danish translation would be Swedish, Norwegian and to a far lesser extent French, but then again it might take me months to finish a book.

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 11:50
Barney, have you heard the debut Lifesigns album yet?  If not, it is some more "dad-prog" that you might be able to sink your ears into.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 12:45
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Barney, have you heard the debut Lifesigns album yet?  If not, it is some more "dad-prog" that you might be able to sink your ears into.

Aye - I bought it and gave it a spin - I think that a couple of tracks stood out - may have listened in the wrong mood-oid, so it looks like I'll have to re-spin - I think the sobriquet "Dad-prog" is going to be a label that will be given to every CD I LIKE
They'll be saying "There's that Barney loon from England - loving another dose of dad-prog!"...
I still have the Airbag to spin - I thought that it was very solid - Floyd like and a chill-out CD....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:02

Aye - I bought it and gave it a spin - I think that a couple of tracks stood out - may have listened in the wrong mood-oid, so it looks like I'll have to re-spin - I think the sobriquet "Dad-prog" is going to be a label that will be given to every CD I LIKE
They'll be saying "There's that Barney loon from England - loving another dose of dad-prog!"...
I still have the Airbag to spin - I thought that it was very solid - Floyd like and a chill-out CD....
I know that you don't like saxophone, but I can't recall your stance on flutes.  The Lifesigns album does seem to have a healthy dose of flute on it, which I believe are provided by Focus' Thijs van Leer.

Edited by rushfan4 - January 15 2014 at 13:02
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:18

I know that you don't like saxophone, but I can't recall your stance on flutes.  The Lifesigns album does seem to have a healthy dose of flute on it, which I believe are provided by Focus' Thijs van Leer.

I like Flute , think it was a "Special interest" video with Mary Millington - who was a young flautist being shown the alternative use of the flute that showed me it's true versatility !!!
Anyway - I was just re-organising my CD collection - to make way for my new CD's - lo and behold - I have found a Shadow Circus CD that I didn't even know I had !!! (I got their latest CD at solstice!) so that's another I'll have to spin - Friay Night - I'll spin the life-signs and the CD I've just found !! - Serendipity INDEED !!!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:21

I like Flute , think it was a "Special interest" video with Mary Millington - who was a young flautist being shown the alternative use of the flute that showed me it's true versatility !!!
Anyway - I was just re-organising my CD collection - to make way for my new CD's - lo and behold - I have found a Shadow Circus CD that I didn't even know I had !!! (I got their latest CD at solstice!) so that's another I'll have to spin - Friay Night - I'll spin the life-signs and the CD I've just found !! - Serendipity INDEED !!!
Clap for Shadow Circus. 

It took me a second read to get where I think you were going with your "special interest" video.  I was somewhat slow on the uptake there.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:27
Aye - My "dads-dvd's" collection used to be in a different order quite often - my son's borrowing them and not putting them back into the correct slot (I'm a bit of an alphabetical order freakoid!!!) - I have nothing too outrageous - just the sort of DVD's that have no men, it gets hot and very soon all the young ladies are as naked as the day they were born and are very interested in some serious primate grooming behaviour
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:29

Heh my collection is all over the place, genre-wise that is. Everything from Genesis and Cressida to Comus, Amon Düül ll and Trance/Jazz/you name it.

As for my reading habits: I tend to go for the original lingo and can't really imagine reading Adams, Huxley, Kerouac or Orwell in Danish. Other languages where I don't need the Danish translation would be Swedish, Norwegian and to a far lesser extent French, but then again it might take me months to finish a book.

What do you think of Terry Pratchett? Another of my favourite authors!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:36

What do you think of Terry Pratchett? Another of my favourite authors!

Well you've got me there. I've never read any of his stuffEmbarrassed

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:45
Well - if you like Douglas Adams then I'm fairly certain you'll find the disc-world novels by Terry Pratchett - fascinating - thay are about a disc world that floats through space on the back of four huge elephants that stand on the back of a giant turtle - swimming though space !! that's based on a true story about an astro-physicist who was harangued by a old woman who insisted that the giant turtle did in fact exist and his big-bang theory was poppy-cock !!!

Edited by M27Barney - January 16 2014 at 10:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:49
LOL I think I've heard the story about the old woman on QI actually. The turtle supposedly stands on another turtle and so it goes....
This sounds like something I would love, thanks a billion!

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:52

LOL I think I've heard the story about the old woman on QI actually. The turtle supposedly stands on another turtle and so it goes....

This sounds like something I would love, thanks a billion!

There are a lot to chose from....The first one is called "The colour of Magic"....enjoy...
aye that's right - "It's turtles all the way down" she said...hohoho

Edited by M27Barney - January 16 2014 at 10:53
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:57
LOL Just found this image

Alright that's enough of me, I'll let you guys get back to Comedy of ErrorsCool

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>