Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat means the sufix /age/ in Language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 02:31
I've thought of a great one...

What?
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 17:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Awhile back we had a productive use of -age: Tune + age = Tunage. A collection of tunes that someone has on hand. This example adds -age to something that's already a noun (I say that because the verb form does not seem to be as relevant).
Even though tuneage is a made-up hipster slang word and is a somewhat artificial creation of a mass noun, it still follows the form of converting the word "tune" into a mass noun by describing the (admittedly abstract) action of a tune.

Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily work with all hep slang words ending age, such as foodage (a mass noun but not really the action of food), but does work with drinkage, eatage and munchage.

This slang usage of "-age" may originally have been propagated by the punk band the Descendents, who used it frequently throughout the '80s, in the same way that more recent mainstream slang has used it.  (They even called a live album Liveage!

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12