Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Psychedelic/Space Rock Appreciation!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Psychedelic/Space Rock Appreciation!

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 30 2007
Location: Anti-Cool (anag
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2091
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Psychedelic/Space Rock Appreciation!
    Posted: January 17 2014 at 12:51
I can't believe my search for a thread like this produced no results. 

It's not just Hawkwind and Pink Floyd, y'know - there's a huge mass of amazing sounds in this much-loved genre, including Ozric Tentacles, Nektar, Eloy, No-Man, Nemrud, Teeth Of The Sea, Vespero, and lots more.

For newcomers, Shindig! have just produced a Space Rock magazine, which serves as a handy little introduction.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Back to Top
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 15 2013
Location: Italy
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 255
Post Options Post Options   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 13:02
Good Idea!!! 

Psychedelia has offered to us an infinity of Giant but also many lost gem. Here I would like to remember a pioneer of Prog Rock and Electronic sounds that unfortunately has released only 2 records whit his band. I'm talking about Sven Grünberg with his "Proge Band" Mess. 

What a super surprise for me!... I can't stop to listen it....Recently I'm trying to listen their lonely electronic work, certainly more complex to understand. Thumbs Up
Back to Top
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 892
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 14:06
Originally posted by Stool Man

I can't believe my search for a thread like this produced no results. 

It's not just Hawkwind and Pink Floyd, y'know - there's a huge mass of amazing sounds in this much-loved genre, including Ozric Tentacles, Nektar, Eloy, No-Man, Nemrud, Teeth Of The Sea, Vespero, and lots more.

For newcomers, Shindig! have just produced a Space Rock magazine, which serves as a handy little introduction.
Hi, I listened the new album "Ritual" from Nemrud and I enjoyed their atmosphere, enjoyed most "Sorrow by Oneself" and "Ritual".  I also listened to Astra (US) - The Black Chord and enjoyed more than Nemrud. 
But until I get to know at least some other bands (Ozric Tentacles for instance), Eloy is BY FAR my favourite one, what a magic and stunning sound! And a quite catchy atmosphere. I've got a special love for three albums: Dawn, Power and The Passion, Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes. Ocean I like very much too.


Edited by Rick Robson - January 18 2014 at 03:44
"Going on means going far. Going far means returning. (Tao Te Ching)"
Back to Top
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Crossover Team

Joined: August 17 2006
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4051
Post Options Post Options   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 14:20
If you like Eloy, check out Shamall , also from Germany. The 2CD album Turn Off is stunning (I am still working on the review)but check it out on progstreaming. Amazing stuff!  
"The more I analyze the human race, the more I love my dog" Mme de Stael
Back to Top
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: February 01 2011
Location: Michigan
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2366
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 21:02
The Future Kings of England.
Please pay a visit to my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music reviews, literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.
Back to Top
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 22 2010
Location: Indiana
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4246
Post Options Post Options   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 22:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf

The Future Kings of England.
Good stuff indeed.......
 
I'm a fan of Hypnos 69 and Astra.


Edited by dr wu23 - January 17 2014 at 22:25
Et In Arcadia Ego
Back to Top
Kobaek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie


Joined: October 16 2013
Location: Denmark
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kobaek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 07:37
Originally posted by Rick Robson

I also listened to Astra (US) - The Black Chord

If you haven't already, check out their debut album "The Weirding". It may not be quite at "Black Chord" level, but it has some great tracks none the less. Astra is definitely one of my top space/psych bands, though I'll admit my biased brain was surprised to find out they're from the US Tongue

Another space-ish band worth mentioning is Crippled Black Phoenix. Especially on their latest three albums (as far as I know), they've developed an interesting blend of psychedelic and hard rock influences mixed with a a rather murky soundscape where the vocals have been put in the background and occasional melodic outbreaks from guitars, trumpets and pianos instead serve to vary the melody. It's sort of progged up doom metal without the metal. I have "(Mankind) The Crafty Ape" on vinyl and find it their strongest album so far, but "I, Vigilante" and "No Sadness or Farewell" have a number of good songs as well.


Edited by Kobaek - January 18 2014 at 07:39
Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5651
Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 16:03
Hi,
 
And the ruling album for this thread needs to be "Floating Anarchy" by Gong and friends!
 
... "welcome magick brothers and mystic sisters ... "
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 892
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 17:10
Originally posted by Kobaek

Originally posted by Rick Robson

I also listened to Astra (US) - The Black Chord

If you haven't already, check out their debut album "The Weirding". It may not be quite at "Black Chord" level, but it has some great tracks none the less. Astra is definitely one of my top space/psych bands, though I'll admit my biased brain was surprised to find out they're from the US Tongue

Another space-ish band worth mentioning is Crippled Black Phoenix. Especially on their latest three albums (as far as I know), they've developed an interesting blend of psychedelic and hard rock influences mixed with a a rather murky soundscape where the vocals have been put in the background and occasional melodic outbreaks from guitars, trumpets and pianos instead serve to vary the melody. It's sort of progged up doom metal without the metal. I have "(Mankind) The Crafty Ape" on vinyl and find it their strongest album so far, but "I, Vigilante" and "No Sadness or Farewell" have a number of good songs as well.
You're absolutely wright, I just listened to "(Mankind) The Crafty Ape" for the first time and got quite impressed by the indeed rather catchy murky atmosphere of the tracks, really stunning sound, amazing guitars intercourses (enjoyed it much in the last half of the track 2), also enjoyed quite much the third and the last track, for sure I'm gonig to listen to this very good album many more times...
"Going on means going far. Going far means returning. (Tao Te Ching)"
Back to Top
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 20 2010
Location: Serbia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6462
Post Options Post Options   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 22:34
Back to Top
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 892
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by Svetonio

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1614
Deleted the video link here for saving memory space.
Just listened to this pretty good ex-Yugoslavian band and even if I felt the guitar playing less explored than in Astra or Crippled Black Phoenix, I enjoyed much some tracks - Sanjas, Lunarni Modus and Vrt Svetlosti (the one that is also in the Progarchives link above).
"Going on means going far. Going far means returning. (Tao Te Ching)"
Back to Top
Kobaek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie


Joined: October 16 2013
Location: Denmark
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kobaek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 02:15
Originally posted by Svetonio

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1614


Igra Staklenih Perli

I'm 8 minutes in and it sounds quite promising so far.
This thread made me remember Camel as well so I finally got around to put on Harbour of Tears. They haven't been mentioned here, so it's time to fix that!
Back to Top
Kobaek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie


Joined: October 16 2013
Location: Denmark
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kobaek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 02:16
Originally posted by Kobaek

Originally posted by Svetonio

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1614


Igra Staklenih Perli

I'm 8 minutes in and it sounds quite promising so far.
This thread made me remember Camel as well, so I finally got around to put on Harbour of Tears, and it isn't disappointing me. They haven't been mentioned here, so it's time to fix that!
Back to Top
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3904
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 03:35
Originally posted by moshkito

Hi,
 

And the ruling album for this thread needs to be "Floating Anarchy" by Gong and friends!

 

... "welcome magick brothers and mystic sisters ... "
....with plenty of 'Opium for the people'....
Back to Top
Roj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 02 2008
Location: Manchester, UK
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2587
Post Options Post Options   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 08:06
A recommendation here for the Phoenix Rising by Rovo/System 7, one of my favourite albums of '13.  This collaboration is excellent.

If you like psych/jam with a definite trance feel (that's Hillage's Sysyem 7 influence) you can't go wrong with this.  It's an album of lengthy instrumental workouts, Rovo have 2 fabulous drummers (!) and Hillage's guitar work is sublime, great stuff.  I will be seeing them on their UK tour in March which I am really looking forward to.
Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5651
Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 10:06
Originally posted by Roj

A recommendation here for the Phoenix Rising by Rovo/System 7, one of my favourite albums of '13.  This collaboration is excellent.

If you like psych/jam with a definite trance feel (that's Hillage's Sysyem 7 influence) you can't go wrong with this.  It's an album of lengthy instrumental workouts, Rovo have 2 fabulous drummers (!) and Hillage's guitar work is sublime, great stuff.  I will be seeing them on their UK tour in March which I am really looking forward to.
 
 
I find it so weird that we associate Stiv and even Daevid with psychedelic or even space rock so much, when the majority of these pieces were done AFTER they were no longer stoned at all. In fact, Stiv used a lot of these pieces as meditation work!
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 29 2005
Location: Lilliwaup, Wa.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3297
Post Options Post Options   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:30

A timeless masterpiece
Back to Top
Roj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 02 2008
Location: Manchester, UK
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2587
Post Options Post Options   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 02:52
Originally posted by moshkito

Originally posted by Roj

A recommendation here for the Phoenix Rising by Rovo/System 7, one of my favourite albums of '13.  This collaboration is excellent.

If you like psych/jam with a definite trance feel (that's Hillage's Sysyem 7 influence) you can't go wrong with this.  It's an album of lengthy instrumental workouts, Rovo have 2 fabulous drummers (!) and Hillage's guitar work is sublime, great stuff.  I will be seeing them on their UK tour in March which I am really looking forward to.
 
 
I find it so weird that we associate Stiv and even Daevid with psychedelic or even space rock so much, when the majority of these pieces were done AFTER they were no longer stoned at all. In fact, Stiv used a lot of these pieces as meditation work!

 
That may be your opinion Mosh but I'd call a fair bit of Steve's work psych - I'm thinking Live Herald, Lunar Musick Suite anybody?  He now of course dines mainly at the trance/techno table but his influence in this direction is strong.  And as for Rovo, if that is not a psych/jam band then I'll eat my hat.
Back to Top
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 09 2006
Location: Swinton M27
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1512
Post Options Post Options   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 05:31
Are Hawkwind still classed as Space Rock? Mind you not listened to anything by them for about three years !!!
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......
Back to Top
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 20 2010
Location: Serbia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6462
Post Options Post Options   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 05:41
Originally posted by Rick Robson


Originally posted by Svetonio

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1614
Deleted the video link here for saving memory space.

Just listened to this pretty good ex-Yugoslavian band and even if I felt the guitar playing less explored than in Astra or Crippled Black Phoenix, I enjoyed much some tracks - Sanjas, Lunarni Modus and Vrt Svetlosti (the one that is also in the Progarchives link above).


I'm glad you like it
Btw, my fav track from Vrt svetlosti the album is Čarobnjaci
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.250 seconds.