Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPsychedelic/Space Rock Appreciation!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Psychedelic/Space Rock Appreciation!
    Posted: January 17 2014 at 12:51
I can't believe my search for a thread like this produced no results. 

It's not just Hawkwind and Pink Floyd, y'know - there's a huge mass of amazing sounds in this much-loved genre, including Ozric Tentacles, Nektar, Eloy, No-Man, Nemrud, Teeth Of The Sea, Vespero, and lots more.

For newcomers, Shindig! have just produced a Space Rock magazine, which serves as a handy little introduction.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 13:02
Good Idea!!! 

Psychedelia has offered to us an infinity of Giant but also many lost gem. Here I would like to remember a pioneer of Prog Rock and Electronic sounds that unfortunately has released only 2 records whit his band. I'm talking about Sven Grünberg with his "Proge Band" Mess. 

What a super surprise for me!... I can't stop to listen it....Recently I'm trying to listen their lonely electronic work, certainly more complex to understand. Thumbs Up
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 14:06
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I can't believe my search for a thread like this produced no results. 

It's not just Hawkwind and Pink Floyd, y'know - there's a huge mass of amazing sounds in this much-loved genre, including Ozric Tentacles, Nektar, Eloy, No-Man, Nemrud, Teeth Of The Sea, Vespero, and lots more.

For newcomers, Shindig! have just produced a Space Rock magazine, which serves as a handy little introduction.
Hi, I listened the new album "Ritual" from Nemrud and I enjoyed their atmosphere, enjoyed most "Sorrow by Oneself" and "Ritual".  I also listened to Astra (US) - The Black Chord and enjoyed more than Nemrud. 
But until I get to know at least some other bands (Ozric Tentacles for instance), Eloy is BY FAR my favourite one, what a magic and stunning sound! And a quite catchy atmosphere. I've got a special love for three albums: Dawn, Power and The Passion, Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes. Ocean I like very much too.

Edited by Rick Robson - January 18 2014 at 03:44

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 14:20
If you like Eloy, check out Shamall , also from Germany. The 2CD album Turn Off is stunning (I am still working on the review)but check it out on progstreaming. Amazing stuff!  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 21:02
The Future Kings of England.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 22:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Future Kings of England.
Good stuff indeed.......

I'm a fan of Hypnos 69 and Astra.

Edited by dr wu23 - January 17 2014 at 22:25
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Kobaek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 07:37
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

I also listened to Astra (US) - The Black Chord

If you haven't already, check out their debut album "The Weirding". It may not be quite at "Black Chord" level, but it has some great tracks none the less. Astra is definitely one of my top space/psych bands, though I'll admit my biased brain was surprised to find out they're from the US Tongue

Another space-ish band worth mentioning is Crippled Black Phoenix. Especially on their latest three albums (as far as I know), they've developed an interesting blend of psychedelic and hard rock influences mixed with a a rather murky soundscape where the vocals have been put in the background and occasional melodic outbreaks from guitars, trumpets and pianos instead serve to vary the melody. It's sort of progged up doom metal without the metal. I have "(Mankind) The Crafty Ape" on vinyl and find it their strongest album so far, but "I, Vigilante" and "No Sadness or Farewell" have a number of good songs as well.

Edited by Kobaek - January 18 2014 at 07:39
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 16:03
Hi,

And the ruling album for this thread needs to be "Floating Anarchy" by Gong and friends!

... "welcome magick brothers and mystic sisters ... "
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 17:10
Originally posted by Kobaek Kobaek wrote:

I also listened to Astra (US) - The Black Chord

If you haven't already, check out their debut album "The Weirding". It may not be quite at "Black Chord" level, but it has some great tracks none the less. Astra is definitely one of my top space/psych bands, though I'll admit my biased brain was surprised to find out they're from the US Tongue

Another space-ish band worth mentioning is Crippled Black Phoenix. Especially on their latest three albums (as far as I know), they've developed an interesting blend of psychedelic and hard rock influences mixed with a a rather murky soundscape where the vocals have been put in the background and occasional melodic outbreaks from guitars, trumpets and pianos instead serve to vary the melody. It's sort of progged up doom metal without the metal. I have "(Mankind) The Crafty Ape" on vinyl and find it their strongest album so far, but "I, Vigilante" and "No Sadness or Farewell" have a number of good songs as well.
You're absolutely wright, I just listened to "(Mankind) The Crafty Ape" for the first time and got quite impressed by the indeed rather catchy murky atmosphere of the tracks, really stunning sound, amazing guitars intercourses (enjoyed it much in the last half of the track 2), also enjoyed quite much the third and the last track, for sure I'm gonig to listen to this very good album many more times...

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 22:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1614
Deleted the video link here for saving memory space.
Just listened to this pretty good ex-Yugoslavian band and even if I felt the guitar playing less explored than in Astra or Crippled Black Phoenix, I enjoyed much some tracks - Sanjas, Lunarni Modus and Vrt Svetlosti (the one that is also in the Progarchives link above).

Kobaek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 02:15

Igra Staklenih Perli

I'm 8 minutes in and it sounds quite promising so far.
This thread made me remember Camel as well so I finally got around to put on Harbour of Tears. They haven't been mentioned here, so it's time to fix that!
Kobaek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 02:16
Originally posted by Kobaek Kobaek wrote:

Igra Staklenih Perli

I'm 8 minutes in and it sounds quite promising so far.
This thread made me remember Camel as well, so I finally got around to put on Harbour of Tears, and it isn't disappointing me. They haven't been mentioned here, so it's time to fix that!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 03:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

And the ruling album for this thread needs to be "Floating Anarchy" by Gong and friends!

... "welcome magick brothers and mystic sisters ... "
....with plenty of 'Opium for the people'....
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 08:06
A recommendation here for the Phoenix Rising by Rovo/System 7, one of my favourite albums of '13.  This collaboration is excellent.

If you like psych/jam with a definite trance feel (that's Hillage's Sysyem 7 influence) you can't go wrong with this.  It's an album of lengthy instrumental workouts, Rovo have 2 fabulous drummers (!) and Hillage's guitar work is sublime, great stuff.  I will be seeing them on their UK tour in March which I am really looking forward to.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 10:06
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

A recommendation here for the Phoenix Rising by Rovo/System 7, one of my favourite albums of '13.  This collaboration is excellent.

If you like psych/jam with a definite trance feel (that's Hillage's Sysyem 7 influence) you can't go wrong with this.  It's an album of lengthy instrumental workouts, Rovo have 2 fabulous drummers (!) and Hillage's guitar work is sublime, great stuff.  I will be seeing them on their UK tour in March which I am really looking forward to.

I find it so weird that we associate Stiv and even Daevid with psychedelic or even space rock so much, when the majority of these pieces were done AFTER they were no longer stoned at all. In fact, Stiv used a lot of these pieces as meditation work!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:30

A timeless masterpiece
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 02:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I find it so weird that we associate Stiv and even Daevid with psychedelic or even space rock so much, when the majority of these pieces were done AFTER they were no longer stoned at all. In fact, Stiv used a lot of these pieces as meditation work!

That may be your opinion Mosh but I'd call a fair bit of Steve's work psych - I'm thinking Live Herald, Lunar Musick Suite anybody?  He now of course dines mainly at the trance/techno table but his influence in this direction is strong.  And as for Rovo, if that is not a psych/jam band then I'll eat my hat.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 05:31
Are Hawkwind still classed as Space Rock? Mind you not listened to anything by them for about three years !!!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 05:41

Deleted the video link here for saving memory space.

Just listened to this pretty good ex-Yugoslavian band and even if I felt the guitar playing less explored than in Astra or Crippled Black Phoenix, I enjoyed much some tracks - Sanjas, Lunarni Modus and Vrt Svetlosti (the one that is also in the Progarchives link above).

I'm glad you like it
Btw, my fav track from Vrt svetlosti the album is Čarobnjaci
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>