Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull - the last thirty years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [11.11%]
1 [1.85%]
15 [27.78%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
22 [40.74%]
5 [9.26%]
4 [7.41%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 03:10
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

It actually isn't IMHO. I bought it when it was released and was sold on it then and still am.

2 songs have ZZ Top-like guitar playing I.e. Steel Monkey and Raising Steam and they really are superb tracks.
Farm on the Freeway is an 80s Tull masterpiece.
Jump Start - an unbelievable rock track..
She Said She Was a Dancer is brilliant...OK it sounds a bit like Dire Straits but I'm sure Knopfler wouldn't mind writing a song as good as this.
Dogs in The Mid Winter - what's not to like?
Budapest is probably their greatest track of the past 30 years...if not of their entire career.
Mountain Men sends shivers up the spine.
The Waking Edge - OK...this is the poorest track....but IMHO it's the only one.
Raising Steam - a great closer.

It's amazing how people have differing views on songs/albums.

Before Crest Tull released Under Wraps and many people hated that album. I think it's not that bad, at least songs are very catchy. Ok it's not a masterpiece of progressive rock but who said it was designed to be? In 1987 Anderson wanted more rock in Tull again but this was the biggest failure in his whole career. Not only the tracks are weak and not memorable (with the exception of Steel Monkey, Farm and Dancer), this was the first time Anderson didn't want to be original at all.  So we have ZZ Top here and there, Dire Straits in almost all vocal parts, even Martin Barre plays like Knopfler. It's an absolute disgrace. Not to mention that Dogs in the Mid Winter still sounds like something taken from Under Wraps but the quality is below par. You mentioned Budapest as the most epic track on the album. It's not even close to their classic epic tunes from the 70's. It's pretty laughable as they try to pump it up to make it sound big while the lack of good ideas ruins the concept. This is actually nothing, no dynamic changes, no vitality, such a boring crap. This was the point I would say from then on there was no hope, that's what I would think anyway but in the 90's they surprisingly started to play like real Tull again. Roots To Branches is a fine example. As for me the best Tull album since Stormwatch or even Horses.

Edited by LSDisease - January 22 2014 at 03:23
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 03:26
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

It actually isn't IMHO. I bought it when it was released and was sold on it then and still am.

2 songs have ZZ Top-like guitar playing I.e. Steel Monkey and Raising Steam and they really are superb tracks.
She Said She Was a Dancer is brilliant...OK it sounds a bit like Dire Straits but I'm sure Knopfler wouldn't mind writing a song as good as this.
Budapest is probably their greatest track of the past 30 years...if not of their entire career.

Before Crest Tull released Under Wraps and many people hated that album. I think it's not that bad, at least songs are very catchy. Ok it's not a masterpiece of progressive rock but who said it was designed to be? In 1987 Anderson wanted more rock in Tull again but this was the biggest failure in his whole career. Not only the tracks are weak and not memorable (with the exception of Steel Monkey, Farm and Dancer), this was the first time Anderson didn't want to be original at all.  So we have ZZ Top here and there, Dire Straits in almost all vocal parts, even Martin Barre plays like Knopfler. It's an absolute disgrace. Not to mention that Dogs in the Mid Winter still sounds like something taken from Under Wraps but the quality is below par. You mentioned Budapest as the most epic track on the album. It's not even close to their classic epic tunes from the 70's. It's pretty laughable as they try to pump it up to make it sound big while the lack of good ideas ruins the concept. This is actually nothing, no dynamic changes, no vitality, such a boring crap. This was the point I would say from then on there was no hope, that's what I would think anyway but in the 90's they surprisingly started to play like real Tull again. Roots To Branches is a fine example. As for me the best Tull album since Stormwatch or even Horses.

No worries but I disagree with most of what you have written above. Everyone has different tastes and I respect your right to express that you don't care for CoaK. But as a very long time Tull fan who has followed them from 1972, my opinion is that Crest is a fantastic album and will always love it.

Edited by BarryGlibb - January 23 2014 at 03:27
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 03:55
To each his own. But it surprises me a bit cos I know Tull fans who's followed them since the 70's and they absolutely hate the 80's Tull. Still I think A, Broadsword and Wraps are pretty good, not great but good albums. Rock Island is better than Crest but it's still the same direction.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 01:16

To each his own. But it surprises me a bit cos I know Tull fans who's followed them since the 70's and they absolutely hate the 80's Tull. Still I think A, Broadsword and Wraps are pretty good, not great but good albums. Rock Island is better than Crest but it's still the same direction.

I know many Tull fans think A is as good as anything they have ever released (me included), then you also have many Tull fans that hate A

Similar sentiments for Broadsword......except it was on the other foot for me......as far as I am concerned Broadsword is terribly over produced, commercial crapola; however in Germany it was one of their biggest successes...ever!

Under Wraps...one of their most maligned albums....I have a real affection for......it's just so different....I know the synthesizer thing aggrevates most Tull fans but to me the songs a very strong ....except for Automotive Engineering, which is so ludicrous that it's funny....I love marching to it.....give it a go!

Rock Island is IMHO almost their worst album ever with only the redeeming track being the epic Whaler's Dues.

Roots to Branches has 4-5 classic tracks, 2 good tracks and the rest are ordinary. 4 stars and not as good as CoaK....IMHO

So yes all of us have different tastes even if we are fans of the same group.

Cheers
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 03:30

I know many Tull fans think A is as good as anything they have ever released (me included), then you also have many Tull fans that hate A

Similar sentiments for Broadsword......except it was on the other foot for me......as far as I am concerned Broadsword is terribly over produced, commercial crapola; however in Germany it was one of their biggest successes...ever!

Under Wraps...one of their most maligned albums....I have a real affection for......it's just so different....I know the synthesizer thing aggrevates most Tull fans but to me the songs a very strong ....except for Automotive Engineering, which is so ludicrous that it's funny....I love marching to it.....give it a go!

Rock Island is IMHO almost their worst album ever with only the redeeming track being the epic Whaler's Dues.

Roots to Branches has 4-5 classic tracks, 2 good tracks and the rest are ordinary. 4 stars and not as good as CoaK....IMHO

So yes all of us have different tastes even if we are fans of the same group.

Cheers

A isn't as good as Stormwatch imo and it's really much worse than their classic albums. Broadsword it's like 'fifty-fifty' but even the best song on the album pales in comparsion with the 70's Tull. I'd rather listen to A at the end of the day. Under Wraps is a pop album but it's not that bad, anyway 3 last songs on the album are boring and don't move me at all. Remaining 12 it's a good material. Still you can't say it's the real Tull. Crest as I said was the biggest failure in their whole career. Rock Island is a bit better with songs like Kissing Willie, Heavy Water or The Rattlesnake Trail they were more hard rockish at the time although it's pretty fair to say, they still sounded more like Dire Straits than Uriah Heep. Catfish Rising brought some hope, Rocks On The Road is a very strong tune even though I still hear Knopfler singing it and Thinking Round Corners it's good old Ian back on the track, probably their folkiest tune since Horses. This is not Love and Doctor to my Disease are pretty strong hard rock tunes and as I said earlier, this album brought some hope. Roots to Branches is a killer album, this brought some tension to JT music and those anxious flute melodies have been haunting me for a long time. No weak song on this album, it's like 10/10. Another Harry's Bar is one of the best Tull songs ever. Beside Myself is magical. I also like Dot Com album, very good release, maybe not as good as Branches but still very strong. Wicked Windows is one of the most touching Tull songs. I think the best post 70's Tull albums were recorded by the band in the 90's. In the 80's they were just joking;)
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 04:44
I'm going with the cliché-but-nonetheless-correct answer of Roots to Branches. Most of JTs output between Broadsword... and that album was the kind of competent but unexceptional blues rock they originally became famous for moving away from. (just in a more modern incarnation)

It was so, so refreshing to hear the band return to actually pushing boundaries again. Doesn't hurt that they brought the folk influences to the forefront again.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 08:01
Roots to Branches. Smile
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 00:41
Crest of a Knave — very underrated album and loads better than the letdown that Rock Island was after it.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 00:43

7 votes for Crest? Are you serious? This is the weakest Tull album it's almost like ZZ Top. They remastered it but polishing that turd didn't help at all. 

This assessment is spot on. "Farm on the Freeway," "Dogs in the Midwinter" (originally a CD bonus track!) and "Mountain Men" are worth the price of admission.
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I haven't even listened to that Christmas album, am I missing anything?

Yes, you're missing something good.

IMO Roots to Branches is a best of latest Tull albums.
om mani padme hum
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 03:52
Crest of a knave, followed by Rock Island and Roots to branches
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 06:56
J-Tull Dot Com

I was amazed how unique this album is in the Tull catalogue
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 08:46
Crest Of A Knave easily-Farm on the Freeway an all time fave of mine.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 13:36
All albums of Jethro Tull are unique, in the sense that they do not sound like anything else the group itself have ever done (This Was do not sound like Stand Up; Stand Up do not sound like Benefit; Benefit do no sound like Aqualung.... and on and on and on...).

The last thirty years is a follow up of trying to re-invent a aging band. In some points they failed (Under Wraps), in some it works (Crest of a Knave and Roots to Branches), in another only a few songs made it (Catfish Rising and J-tull.Com).

As they were never full pop in the 80's and 90's, their work become a little anachronistic and underrated. If the last five albums were released from 2005 onwards, they now would have a refreshed fame.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 14:17
For which one did they win the Grammy award for Best Metal Album? 
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 14:43
Crest of a Knave.

Grammy for Best Heavy Metal or Hard Rock Performance.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 15:07
Catfish today.
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 16:41
Under Wraps - which seems to attract a lot of stick which some of the latter releases deserved more. Not a particularly inspiring set of albums though (IMHO)

Edited by snowsnow - May 29 2015 at 17:37
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 02:51
J-Tull Dot Com and Crest of Knave, the rest while are ok are far from great.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 05:27
I wouldn't give any of them more than 3 stars and in the case of Under Wraps only 1. Crest Of A Knave is my pick of the bunch and a good solid album with 2 excellent tracks - Farm On The Freeway and Budapest and a few good lightweight rockers like Jump Start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>