Topic ClosedGlass Hammer "Ode To Echo"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Hammer "Ode To Echo"
    Posted: January 23 2014 at 08:47
Ode To Echo
with Steve, Fred, Alan, Carl, Jon, Susie and our new drummer Aaron Raulston.  Also featuring cameos by David Ragsdale (Kansas) and Rob Reed (Magenta) and others.  Even Walter Moore and Michelle Young have recorded tracks for this one :)

No exact release date yet - but soon! This is just a teaser for the album. More to come. We promise! 

The Breaking Of The World - March 31st
dcussen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 09:26
To all prog and non-prog fans alike: BUY THIS ALBUM  This is some of the greatest music being written today - by anyone anywhere.  I have almost all their albums to date and am continually amazed by the creativity and inspiration behind nearly every song they write.  This album is guaranteed to be yet another masterpiece.
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 09:26
Looking forward to it!!!
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

torete View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 10:20
must be a vinyl release!!please!!!
mikeyisthedevil View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 10:23
Like what I'm hearing so far.   Love the list of talent that worked on the album.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 15:22
BowdownClapHugBeerHeadbangerThumbs UpBig smile
scaife View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 19:19
Awesomeness shall abound!!!
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 19:21
As usual - I am looking forward to a new GH release! This perhaps more so than other recent recordings, with the promise of one of the best GH lineups ever. Smile

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 20:52
I definitely want to get the chance to hear/review this!  I've been meaning to get some of their older stuff, too, like Perelandra.
theprogmind.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 20:55
Originally posted by dcussen dcussen wrote:

To all prog and non-prog fans alike: BUY THIS ALBUM  This is some of the greatest music being written today - by anyone anywhere.  I have almost all their albums to date and am continually amazed by the creativity and inspiration behind nearly every song they write.  This album is guaranteed to be yet another masterpiece.

I haven't yet gotten any Glass Hammer, but eventually I want to get at least their last 2 albums (the ones with John Davison), which have had some very good revies. I'm also interested in the Tolkien based albums (I think they are two), but I've read rather bad revies about them... however, I wonder if at least I could get a few Tolkien related songs out of those albums.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 05:41
^ There are actually 3 albums with Jon Davison and all are great. Smile.  The album that is lowest rated of their half dozen or so albums is Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted which moved away briefly from their symphonic style towards a poppier approach. I love it though personally. 

From 2000 in terms of line ups/approach I reckon you can group their albums thus

Chronomotree
Lex Rex
Shadowlands
those three feature Fred drumming

The Inconsolable Secret
Culture Of Ascent
those are my favourite GH albums. They feature the superb Matt Mendians drumming

Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted
mentioned above

If
Cor Cordium
Perilous
possibly their most consistent period and the middle one is my favourite although If is the one that gets the praise

They also released an excellent compilation album called ....wait for it.. 'The Compilations'. The big thing about this is that it includes the excellent long track In The Court Of Alkinoos that to the best of my knowledge is not available on any other GH album. It also includes one their best tracks Time Marches On from the album Perelandra (1995)

ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 16:08
Wow, what a great post on GH by richardh.   You have this excellent band pretty well nailed IMO.

I also think the Davison era is by far the most consistent good work.

Personally, I would choose Lex Rex as their best overall album however.  And I would choose "If the Sun" off the album If, for their best epic.  With "She a Lonely Tower" in 2nd for me (both Davison era).

PS - thanks for the tip on The Compilations.

Edited by ProgVanWinkle - January 26 2014 at 16:20
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 21:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ There are actually 3 albums with Jon Davison and all are great. Smile.  The album that is lowest rated of their half dozen or so albums is Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted which moved away briefly from their symphonic style towards a poppier approach. I love it though personally. 
From 2000 in terms of line ups/approach I reckon you can group their albums thus
Chronomotree
Lex Rex
Shadowlands
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">those three feature Fred drumming</span>
The Inconsolable Secret
Culture Of Ascent
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">those are my favourite GH albums. They feature the superb Matt Mendians drumming</span>
Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted
mentioned above
If
Cor Cordium
Perilous
possibly their most consistent period and the middle one is my favourite although If is the one that gets the praise
They also released an excellent compilation album called ....wait for it.. 'The Compilations'. The big thing about this is that it includes the excellent long track In The Court Of Alkinoos that to the best of my knowledge is not available on any other GH album. It also includes one their best tracks Time Marches On from the album Perelandra (1995)

So, I guess I'll end up getting their Jon Davison albums, plus the compilation you recommended. Perhaps also the Tolkien based albums, sinc. But I'm afraid it may take me sover a year to get there.   
dcussen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 21:56
"She, A Lonely Tower" off "Cor Cordium" is truly epic.  Just beautiful.  "At Last We Are" is actually my favorite song off of "If".  "Heaven" is another song off of "Perelandra" that everyone has forgotten about, but is absolutely incredible.  It's really hard to highlight stuff, because there's so much good stuff in all directions no one can agree on what's better.  It's just a tremendous band with incredibly great music.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 16:59
I was also going to mention the DVD's Lex Live and Live At Belmont. Both include Matt Mendians and the former even has Walter Moore. Both are absolute pleasures to watch.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 03:18
^I take it you like Matt Mendians Wink.  I have almost all the recent GH releases and will have to have a special listen for his performances on those albums as I don't remember anything making me jump out of my seat, drumming wise.  However recently the drumming has definitely been much better than on their earlier releases when the drumming was to be honest pretty lame.

I'll certainly be getting the new one Tongue.  One I am still to get is Cor Cordium which for some reason is missing from my collection - I must rectify that.  I also really fancy getting the Lex Rex live dvd, Lex Rex is my favourite album by them so the live dvd is a no brainer for me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 14:41
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

^I take it you like Matt Mendians Wink.  I have almost all the recent GH releases and will have to have a special listen for his performances on those albums as I don't remember anything making me jump out of my seat, drumming wise.  However recently the drumming has definitely been much better than on their earlier releases when the drumming was to be honest pretty lame.

I'll certainly be getting the new one Tongue.  One I am still to get is Cor Cordium which for some reason is missing from my collection - I must rectify that.  I also really fancy getting the Lex Rex live dvd, Lex Rex is my favourite album by them so the live dvd is a no brainer for me.

Mendians only plays on the two albums (The Inconsolable Secret and Culture Of Ascent) and the two DVD's I mentioned.  Fred and Steve then decided to make the album Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted with Susie. After that they returned to the symph prog with a new line up including Jon Davison and Alan Shikoh (guitars) as permanent members. The drummer for them since has been Randall Williams although the album credits suggest he is not a permanent member (it says 'With Randall Williams').
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 14:44
..but rereading the opening post they now have a new drummer. However Carl has returned to the fold (he sang on Culture Of Ascent).

Remember the brilliant American sitcom of the eighties called Soap? Well that's Glass HammerLOL

Edited by richardh - January 29 2014 at 14:44
ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 13:50
richardh - I can't thank you enough for pointing to the Compilations CD.

Holy, holy holy, the ORCHESTRAL version of Heroes and Dragons is "to die for"!   I would pay the CD price for that alone.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 15:07
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>